• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Married SFers: How much did your wedding cost?

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got shitted on for trying to convince her to spend a little less money on wedding so we can have a better down payment for a home.

herzzreh

Reaction score
Almost nothing. Wedding is an overpriced event to satisfy outsiders. We both agreed on this and we'd rather spend the money on a kickass round-the-world trip.

ktrp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Realist - Almost 50% of marriages end in divorce. Would you spend $25000 on something you knew you were going to regret for the rest of your life?

By the time divorce rolls around, 25k between the two of you is a drop in the bucket of the hit to your wallet.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As this thread shows, you can have really ballerific weddings, or do it on the cheap. My advice is to just let your fiancee have the wedding she wants. $10K is nothing in the grand scheme of things. And if an extra $5K will make it her dream wedding, as opposed to the minimum acceptable, I mean, seriously, $5K is nothing. Think about it this way. If, in a few years time, you are making baller money, $10K will be a drop in the bucket. If you are not, you'll still have saved up enough to make up that extra bit of down payment. Not worth it to start off the marriage with a fight over money.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Romantic - Its the one day you'll remember for the rest of your lives. Isn't that worth spending money on to be happy with how it will come out?

Rationalist - Spending $25,000 on a one day party is $25000 less that you and your wife can use to start a family and life together

Realist - Almost 50% of marriages end in divorce. Would you spend $25000 on something you knew you were going to regret for the rest of your life?

Realist - The extra $10K will save you a lot of headaches. Cheap, effective, healthcare.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
We quicky realized that it was our parents -- well more precisely our mothers -- who wanted a big wedding. We bowed out gracefully and let them plan and pay for it. That said, I recall seeing my father-in-law at the post wedding reception (1000+ guests). For a brief moment he was standing all alone in that crowded room ... looking terribly lonely. I walked up and asked if he was alright. He responded, "Alright, but broke." I retorted, "You know this was not our idea, we didn't really want a grand wedding. You didn't have to do this." He replied, "You really don't know your mother-in-law well enough yet. You will."

That is a very haunting story.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ktrp
By the time divorce rolls around, 25k between the two of you is a drop in the bucket of the hit to your wallet.
A large number of divorces happen within the first few years.
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Realist - The extra $10K will save you a lot of headaches. Cheap, effective, healthcare.
If your wife is causing you $10k worth of headaches, maybe its time to rethink the marriage thing.

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They need to make it a requirement for girls to take financial planning courses.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
give me a beach, a barbecue, a couple dozen people I actually like, and a few of my friends in key roles (we ordained one for just this purpose) and I am pretty much happy.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
give me a beach, a barbecue, a couple dozen people I actually like, and a few of my friends in key roles (we ordained one for just this purpose) and I am pretty much happy.
This is where I've always been at. Hell, even sanz beach, just a cool little get together. Of course, I don't believe in marriage, so its sort of pointless.
Originally Posted by LA Guy
You clearly haven't been following the healthcare threads.
Good point. I have read a few articles of people putting off divorce, but living separately in the house, just to hold onto the benefits.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Our wedding was ~25k and was a great day. The thing you need to appreciate is woman dream about their wedding day since the day the can walk. While it's not a big deal for us guys, it's a HUGE deal for woman. Cope the extra $10k and save yourself some major stress

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou

If I had to do over, I would have rented out an entire restaurant and saved half.

What we're doing. No real ceremony.

Dewi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fraiche
Gents - I am about to go down this path and trying to forecast the budget realistically. GF wants to spend about $30K and I'm trying to talk her down to $20K ($25K max) as I would rather put the money on a downpayment for a home.

Is this a realistic cost for about 100-120 people?

We had 150ish at our wedding, and my in-laws spent about $15k on it. We probably saved the most money by having the reception at my godmother's house. We ended up basically having a 12 hour house party with better food and better dressed guests, with a religious ceremony to kick start it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads