• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there any hell worse than moving?

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Had to move half my stuff into a storage unit and half into my wife's (then fiancee's) one bedroom co-op this year.

A couple of things I learned:

1) If possible, move over the course of several weeks. I would take a car load of stuff from my place every night instead of one big, pain-in-the-ass move.

2) Hire pros for the big stuff. NFW I was gonna move a bedroom set.

3) Give **** away.
-Donate anything that doesn't have sentimental value or is something you haven't used (or worn) within a year.
-Several trips to the thrift store can earn you a sizeable "non-cash charitable contribution" receipt.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the movers pack, they do a better job than I ever would. They don't look and consider, they just wrap everything to the nth degree. Not worth it ever to pack myself. And they do it in hours versus the weeks it would take me.

I wouldn't move any other way.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
then donating my whole Criterion collection to some university.

theyve already got it i bet. Send it to me instead, I definitely don't. Plus I'd actually use it.

Originally Posted by pebblegrain
couple thousand for a bed?

that's more than an entire local moving service costs

Hastens mattresses. Google it.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johdus Fanfoozal
Had to move half my stuff into a storage unit and half into my wife's (then fiancee's) one bedroom co-op this year.

A couple of things I learned:

1) If possible, move over the course of several weeks. I would take a car load of stuff from my place every night instead of one big, pain-in-the-ass move.

2) Hire pros for the big stuff. NFW I was gonna move a bedroom set.

3) Give **** away.
-Donate anything that doesn't have sentimental value or is something you haven't used (or worn) within a year.
-Several trips to the thrift store can earn you a sizeable "non-cash charitable contribution" receipt.

Big +1 to that. I moved over 3 weeks doing 3-4 car loads a week until the "big move". The big move was just a van load to my new place and a van load to go to my parents place with furniture I'm giving to my brother.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There must be a thousand moving services within NYC... you really can't fine another one? Since I had all my stuff in a uhaul from montreal, I hired a local service called rent-a-son just to help me move in and it cost next to nothing.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread just makes me want to jettison everything in my apartment including my bed. I did always vow I would sleep on the floor.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't mind moving. Letting professional movers do all the work, including all the packing, makes it a far less painful experience. Worth every penny I give them IMO. I also like the fact that it's a good catalyst for decluttering and throwing out a bunch of stuff I should have thrown out years ago. Cleansing experience overall.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pale Male
Property Enslaves.

Thanks for the insight, Karl.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I moved at the begining of this week. Pack up took 2 hours. A single car journey, 15 mins. Unpacking took 1 hour.

I wasn't too stressed out at all.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think there is much in regular life that is worse. I have to be out of my place by Friday if I don't want to pay another month and being kind of a packrat I have lots of stuff I don't exactly want to keep, but don't really want to deal with figuring out where it should properly go (get sold, give away to someone specific, etc.) so it is driving me kind of nuts. I haven't been online in 3 days because both places have been a huge mess this whole time. If not for all the help from friends and family I would be going totally insane right now.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
I could only afford the pillows. They are sumptuous.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta

I'm not questioning the cost of the bed. My bed is $3000. I'm asking why you would prefer to throw a $3000 bed away and buy another identical $3000 bed, rather than pay someone $100 to move it for you.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And a mattress/box spring is relativley easy to move!!

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
I tried to list all my furniture so someone would buy it and I could just call the stores and have them deliver new **** to me. No go. Bed bugs have ruined craigslist shopping even for nice furniture. And I called the movers to see if they'd be willing to send a couple people over for a few hours to do the packing after I'd already cancelled it - no go, they are booked solid.

Even finding boxes is a pain **********. I hate life right now.

Ugh the idea of bed bugs terrifies me. I don't know how NYC people are dealing with it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads