• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After about six months of wear, my 405s sole are separating. I wrote to Alden a few days ago asking about it but haven't gotten a reply back from them yet (probably due to the holidays though). How do they generally handle repairs like this? Would I be charged for it or would they cover the cost? If I decided instead to try and have a local cobbler do a repair, would that ruin my chances of ever getting them worked on in the future by Alden (i.e. for a resoling in a year or two)?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ChrisGold

Reaction score
403 - I wish more special makeups would be made with this leather instead of the Natural - I like the look of the Natural, but how about a little love for the brown chromexcel?

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hooker4186
After about six months of wear, my 405s sole are separating. I wrote to Alden a few days ago asking about it but haven't gotten a reply back from them yet (probably due to the holidays though). How do they generally handle repairs like this? Would I be charged for it or would they cover the cost? If I decided instead to try and have a local cobbler do a repair, would that ruin my chances of ever getting them worked on in the future by Alden (i.e. for a resoling in a year or two)?

I would fully expect Alden to take care of that. Assuming you didn't abused them, at 6 months, a $400+ shoes should not deteriorate like that.

FedEx dropped off my Cigar shell longwings from Shoemart and it came with instruction on how to care for the shoes now.

I think a black pair is next and that should do it for a long while.

ChrisGold

Reaction score

Agree with previous poster - Alden is sometimes a little slow to respond to customer service requests, but I would fully expect them to repair this at no charge to you.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my experience it is unlikely you will hear back from them via email. Best to give em a call. They wont answer but if you leave a message they get back pretty quickly and will likely take care of that for you. Bad with email but otherwise provided great service for me.

FENWAY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChrisGold
403 - I wish more special makeups would be made with this leather instead of the Natural - I like the look of the Natural, but how about a little love for the brown chromexcel?

Beautiful leather. Thanks for sharing. Thats my next boot

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
After almost 9 months, I finally got my ravello longwings from the Washington Alden shop. Now that I have them, I think I'd prefer shortwings.

false

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
After almost 9 months, I finally got my ravello longwings from the Washington Alden shop. Now that I have them, I think I'd prefer shortwings.
What size? Edit: damn my pixy feet (7.5-8)。
After about six months of wear, my 405s sole are separating. I wrote to Alden a few days ago asking about it but haven't gotten a reply back from them yet (probably due to the holidays though). How do they generally handle repairs like this? Would I be charged for it or would they cover the cost? If I decided instead to try and have a local cobbler do a repair, would that ruin my chances of ever getting them worked on in the future by Alden (i.e. for a resoling in a year or two)? Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Uploaded with ImageShack.us Hi there failure buddy. I emailed Alden and they said just send them in and they'd give me new ones. The catch is, they aren't exactly "Alden", they are an Alden owned shop in SF. Unless you bought from that shop you have to go through the shop that sold you the shoes. Right now I'm waiting to hear from that shop. It seems like there's a bit of a flaw in the 405 design. The leather welt, being well, leather, shrank while the neoprene its anchoring didn't. Think gums and teeth. This puts stress on the stitching and... pow. I have no idea why Alden doesn't have an "Alden" mail account. They were nice enough to send me new laces though.

david3558

Reaction score
Drove to LSBH today and met Bryan, super nice guy and took a lot of time explaining all the lasts, care of the shoes, etc.

Ended up picking up the beautiful 'Attorney Shoe' in the dark burgundy dress calf, super beautiful shoe!

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi there failure buddy. I emailed Alden and they said just send them in and they'd give me new ones. The catch is, they aren't exactly "Alden", they are an Alden owned shop in SF. Unless you bought from that shop you have to go through the shop that sold you the shoes. Right now I'm waiting to hear from that shop. It seems like there's a bit of a flaw in the 405 design. The leather welt, being well, leather, shrank while the neoprene its anchoring didn't. Think gums and teeth. This puts stress on the stitching and... pow. I have no idea why Alden doesn't have an "Alden" mail account. They were nice enough to send me new laces though.
See I think I'm screwed then. I bought the boots pretty much unworn off someone on B&S who got them from Epaulet. Does me not being the original owner pretty much ruin my chances of getting them fixed without putting out the cash for it? The boots are pretty obviously only about six months old as you can tell by the heel wear: Uploaded with ImageShack.us edit: I was thinking about getting mine resoled with the commando sole when I eventually do get them resoled. As the commando sole is leather and is being stitched to the leather welt, that would counteract the issue of the welt shrinking without being able to pull up on the leather of the commando sole, right?

david3558

Reaction score
I don't think so, just call Alden directly. I've had pretty good service just calling them directly, a defect is a defect!

Cacatfish

Reaction score
Originally Posted by david3558
Drove to LSBH today and met Bryan, super nice guy and took a lot of time explaining all the lasts, care of the shoes, etc.

Ended up picking up the beautiful 'Attorney Shoe' in the dark burgundy dress calf, super beautiful shoe!

I love the look of that shoe.
I just figured they were pretty well sold out of them already.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have not found this to be true. I have now had problems with two different pair of Alden boots within a year that came from leathersoul. I got in touch with Alden directly, explained what was happening (putting pictures of the problem in my email) they responded quickly, sent me prepaid shipping packages to send them to Alden, and returned them repaired free of any charge. I offered proof of purchase in order to date my purchase, but they never asked for it. I was not asked to deal with Tom directly for the repairs.
Originally Posted by false
Hi there failure buddy. I emailed Alden and they said just send them in and they'd give me new ones. The catch is, they aren't exactly "Alden", they are an Alden owned shop in SF. Unless you bought from that shop you have to go through the shop that sold you the shoes. Right now I'm waiting to hear from that shop. It seems like there's a bit of a flaw in the 405 design. The leather welt, being well, leather, shrank while the neoprene its anchoring didn't. Think gums and teeth. This puts stress on the stitching and... pow. I have no idea why Alden doesn't have an "Alden" mail account. They were nice enough to send me new laces though.

Magic1

Reaction score
On the topic of Alden QC, my laces ripped straight through in less than 8 months of wear... I know Aden doesn't make the laces, but come on...This has never happened to me on any other pair of shoes.

So does LS Beverly Hills have laces for sale or is it just online that I can buy them, such as through the ShoeMart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads