• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a perfect fit dress shirt, with a slim fit, how many inches below the belt line should the end of the shirt be? BB slim fit shirts fit me well, but they seem really long.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Archivist
Anything but black? Gray, solid or patterned would be all right. You could go with navy. Honestly, I would personally avoid the black socks with the black shoes as well (unless these are black dyed jeans?). you could work on some nice color with the black shoes, red/burgundy, patterns, maybe pick up a secondary color from the tie.

Derbies (bluchers), and the whole universe of brogues.

So if I wore gray socks with burgundy shoes and dark jeans it'd be okay. That's what I was thinking, but was unsure. These are dark blue (almost raw in color) jeans. I may try for some flare with colored/patterned socks as I build up my sock wardrobe.

I'm in the vast minority but I don't like brogued shoes much; are there other options? I'm thinking loafers, but I'm not old enough to pull off the tassled loafer yet.

Originally Posted by Rugger
On a perfect fit dress shirt, with a slim fit, how many inches below the belt line should the end of the shirt be? BB slim fit shirts fit me well, but they seem really long.
A good rule of thumb from my experiences: Wear your shirt tucked in. If it's long enough that it stays tucked in while you touch your toes, it's okay. too *long* and you can get it tailored to account for that. Too short and you're effed.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yah, definitely not too short, more worried about too long. I guess only negative consequence is bunching in my crotch and on the backside

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rugger
Yah, definitely not too short, more worried about too long. I guess only negative consequence is bunching in my crotch and on the backside
Ah. If the body is too long, chances are the arms may be too long also. Unless you know for sure your shirt size is right on, try sizing down one half size? In any case, if just the body is too long, a tailor can easily fix that. Probably $20 - $45 depending on your area.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
Ah. If the body is too long, chances are the arms may be too long also. Unless you know for sure your shirt size is right on, try sizing down one half size? In any case, if just the body is too long, a tailor can easily fix that. Probably $20 - $45 depending on your area.

The arms are proper, I knew my size before I went in, the SA confirmed with tape. I tried it on, arms were fine, fit was good, just seemed long on me. Could just be my eye not used to wearing dress shirts. Not going to spend 20-45 tailoring a shirt that cost $53 though
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

I'll have to throw one on again and snap a pic.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
I'm in the vast minority but I don't like brogued shoes much; are there other options? I'm thinking loafers, but I'm not old enough to pull off the tassled loafer yet.

Monks, chukka's, anything in suede.

Vecna

Reaction score
I need a good mid-brown dress belt under $100. The catch, I'm going to be purchasing it on Amazon. I see J+M, is there anything else worth the money?

If there are really no good dress belts on amazon, I'm open to other suggestions. I know allen edmonds makes a decent belt, but am otherwise uninformed (and AE isn't on amazon). Searched the forums, but all the belt threads seem to be casual/undyed.

The Thin Man

Reaction score
J&M is a better value for belts than for shoes, so that's a solid pick. Martin Dingman would be an upgrade.

There's a good case to be made for alligator belts, which are more expensive.

Here's a good thread: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...hermes+dingman

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Getting the pit stench out of a thrifted wool blazer?

I've tried vinegar and I've tried dry cleaning. Nothing seems to work. Still smells like a dirty old bum.

Does anyone have any other tips? Should I steam the underarms?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads