• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home Made Sausage, Cured, and Smoked Meats

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KJT
What do you think about the grinder attachment for a kitchenaid mixer? My batches will probably be a bit smaller so hopefully it will suffice. I haven't opened it yet, and can still return it.

I've not done it that way but everything I have read says to not stuff directly out of the grinder. First, you need to add liquid to the ground meat and then second you need to mix it to get the primary bind.

However, it's probably better than commercial sausage.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think the sausage attachment goes onto the grinder, uses the same screw mechanism.

pio inspired me to order some skins and salts so i will give it a go tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I've not done it that way but everything I have read says to not stuff directly out of the grinder. First, you need to add liquid to the ground meat and then second you need to mix it to get the primary bind.

However, it's probably better than commercial sausage.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. It's just a grinder that uses the kitchenaid motor to power it.

2fe581b0c8a0960914aae110.L._AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-FGA...8&sr=8-1-spell

I have a stand-alone stuffer that looks exactly like the one that you have.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KJT
Sorry, I should have been more specific. It's just a grinder that uses the kitchenaid motor to power it.

http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-FGA...8&sr=8-1-spell

I have a stand-alone stuffer that looks exactly like the one that you have.

Well, all the tequila I've had tonight is probably not good for reading comprehension too.
laugh.gif

Should work well. Remember the "primary bind," i.e. mix up some ice cold liquid in it before stuffing.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Sausage!

IMG_0293.jpg

Fried up a little of the meat to check the seasoning. Yum. That smoked paprika really adds a nice depth to it. Fennel is just the right level.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
for chrissakes...isnt it about time someone makes a parody of this thread in DT?!?! Cant help but laugh at this...teh gheyness...it makes me head spin....hahahaha

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks great Pio. It's reminding me that I need to make some sausages as well.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Piob's sausage is beautiful, but I haven't tasted it. I can personally attest that Iammatt's sausage tastes wonderful.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a sausage party planned for this weekend. Anyone care to share a recipe for raw sausage?

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pio - fresh casing or cellophane? If fresh casing are unavailable, any suggestions for the right type of manmade casings for fresh sausage?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Guys, thanks for compliments. The taste is very good. Glad I added the garlic and changed a few things from Ruhlman's recipe. Texture is incredible. You know, texture is so different between commercial vs. hand made.

Originally Posted by KJT
Pio - fresh casing or cellophane? If fresh casing are unavailable, any suggestions for the right type of manmade casings for fresh sausage?

I almost always use intestines. I've used collagen before. There is nothing wrong with it. For some things, like thin meat sticks you're going to smoke, it's just easiest to use. I've also used it for big chubs, like 3" diameter salami. Nice and easy to use. These were commercial grade natural intestines. A big difference in terms of length (usually 3 for 5# batch, this used about 1/2 of one intestine) and much more uniform in terms of diameter. About twice the price but very much worth it IMO.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
for chrissakes...isnt it about time someone makes a parody of this thread in DT?!?! Cant help but laugh at this...teh gheyness...it makes me head spin....hahahaha

Sausage is no joking matter
teacha.gif

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I made some duck rillette once. It was excellent with room for improvement. Probably ate it too soon, as in the next day. How long will you 'rest' your rillette?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads