• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's more "traditional," Center Vent or Double Vent?

Dinky89484

Reaction score
When searching for a suit that lasts the test of time and can go beyond today's trend (slimmer lapels, less boxy, low rise pants/trousers, etc...), would you get a single center vent or a double vent for a suit?

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends. I'd say in general double vent, but again that's just my personal opinion.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The visual difference is fairly minimal, and there's ample precedent for both. (Also for unvented, but I'm a hands-in-pockets guy.) Side vents generally look a bit sharper, though they are also more likely to gape.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Traditions are culturally and geographically specific.

For the Americans, it's a center vent.

For the English, it's a double vent.

For the French and the Italians, it may be a double vent or it may be none at all.

I prefer a double vent but have all the styles among my various coats.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dinky89484
When searching for a suit that lasts the test of time and can go beyond today's trend (slimmer lapels, less boxy, low rise pants/trousers, etc...), would you get a single center vent or a double vent for a suit?

A double lets you reach your pockets much easier. Single supposedly gives a more muscular looking fit, but I'm not sold on it.

Matt S

Reaction score
Single vent for single-breasted jackets and double vent for double-breasted jackets are most traditional. That said, I prefer double vents on everything, and double vents will never look out-dated. Savile Row tailors were mostly making their suits with double vents through the 80s and 90s when the trendy Italian suits were made without vents and the traditional American suits were made with single vents. The only thing you can go wrong with is putting a single vent on a double breasted jacket. That was occasionally done in the 90s by American makers who thought a single vent would look more conservative.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If by traditional you mean a sack type suit, they would take a center vent. Center or side vents are neither traditional or trendy, they serve a function. Center vents open and are better when you are on horseback. Side vents allow easy access to front or back trouser pockets while keeping your seat covered. A more elegant effect.

chevron

Reaction score
Whichever you find more functional, both are equally correct.

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211

For the French and the Italians, it may be a double vent or it may be none at all.

I prefer a double vent but have all the styles among my various coats.

This guy got it right all around!

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee
This guy got it right all around!

+1 although side vents just seem more comfortable/elegant to me.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

From what I hear, James Brown sometimes preferred the triple vent.

ALFAMALE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads