• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on fit of MTM shirt by local shirtmaker

pglover19

Reaction score
I finally took the plunge into the MTM shirt world. I am starting locally with a shirtmaker and will eventually move to an online MTM shirtmaker. The local shirtmaker is well known and respected locally. I had my first shirt made and I am not totally happy with it. Especially the seam on the chest. I think the seam should be on the shoulders. The local shirtmaker thinks the shirt fit fine based on my body shape. I would welcome your opinions on the fit. Please critique please.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am glad that i can't take responsibilty for this shirt.

if you are referring to the yoke, it does look short.
your right shoulder seems to be longer then your left.

has the been laundered?

button the collar for one photo

what were you looking for.

how do you expect to tell an online company what to make.
did the shirtmaker tell you that you have a low shoulder?

from style questions
why white collar only and not white cuff?
why the huge crest of a monogram?

there is a lot more that can be changed

i will let the others confuse you

pglover19

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven

if you are referring to the yoke, it does look short.
your right shoulder seems to be longer then your left.

has the been laundered?

button the collar for one photo

what were you looking for.

how do you expect to tell an online company what to make.
did the shirtmaker tell you that you have a low shoulder?

from style questions
why white collar only and not white cuff?
why the huge crest of a monogram?

there is a lot more that can be changed

i will let the others confuse you

ShirtMaven,

I have posted a photo with the collar buttoned. This is my first MTM shirt. So, I don't know what to look for. One of my arms are 1/2" longer than the other. The shirt has not been laundered yet. The shirtmaker recommended a white collar but did not suggest white cuffs. The monogram is 3/4". Once again, this is my first shirt with the local shirtmaker and I welcome all the feedback for improvement. Please detail all the improvements needed.

TonyThe Tailor

Reaction score
+1000 Stripes don't match at sleevehead (yoke, which seems a bit short) and if it hasn't been laundered yet, the sleeves look a little short

pglover19

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TonyThe Tailor
+1000

Stripes don't match at sleevehead (yoke, which seems a bit short) and if it hasn't been laundered yet, the sleeves look a little short

Where is the sleevehead? Please go into more detail on the yoke being too short? I assume the yoke is the seam in the back of the shirt near the neck. This is a split yoke? Should I request another shoulder pleat style (plain back, box pleat)? The shirtmaker originally made the shirt with side pleats on the shoulder and this style did not accomodate my body shape at all and he changed the shoulder pleat to the split yoke. Please continue to give me a list of things that is wrong about this shirt... I welcome the feedback.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
was this made in his own workshop or sent out somewhere?

this shirt does not fit well. assuming you are looking for a trim fit.
launder the shirt. take a side shot as well

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pglover19
Where is the sleevehead? Please go into more detail on the yoke being too short? I assume the yoke is the seam in the back of the shirt near the neck. This is a split yoke? Should I request another shoulder pleat style (plain back, box pleat)? The shirtmaker originally made the shirt with side pleats on the shoulder and this style did not accomodate my body shape at all and he changed the shoulder pleat to the split yoke. Please continue to give me a list of things that is wrong about this shirt... I welcome the feedback.

Sleevehead is where the sleeves meet the rest of the shirt.
The yoke is the piece of fabric with horizontal stripes at the top of the back of the shirt
A split yoke is when that piece is split down the middle into two pieces
The plain back is probably best for you. Box pleats are best avoided as they make the back of the shirt look really baggy.

Icehawk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
The plain back is probably best for you. Box pleats are best avoided as they make the back of the shirt look really baggy.

Maybe I'm warped by trim fitting clothes but for me that shirt needs something to tame the bagginess in the back - I prefer darts.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shirtmaven is a shirt tailor so he can see finer fit details, especially regarding bodytypes than most of us. What's critical to know for anyone giving advice on fit, though, is whether it's already been laundered and how many times. Generally a shirt will shrink its first few washes. After a half dozen it settles in and fit can be judged much better.

But, some of his question relate to personal choices, not fit questions- such as why white collar and not white cuff? Generally when someone does a banker's collar the cuffs are white and are french cuffs as well. I prefer the same fabric as the shirt, especially if it's not a solid color like blue or pink.

The monogram is purely a personal choice. It has nothing to do with construction or fit. Did you request that?

In terms of fit, I won't comment about those things that others have, but the sleeves seem a little baggy to me.

pglover19

Reaction score

The shirt was made by the tailor on-site locally. Below are some side shots.. Please continue the feedback. If you can, please make a list of all the things that is wrong with the shirt so I can provide this feedback to the on-site tailor. They are willing to fit the shirt based on my feedback. This is all new to me and I don't have a clue of what to look for as it relates to how a MTM shirt should fit. Been purchasing off the rack shirts all my life.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Especially the seam on the chest. I think the seam should be on the shoulders.

I assume you're talking about the shoulder seam? The shoulder seam on a shirt is normally like that, being slightly forward of the shoulders, rather than being right on the shoulder line.

pglover19

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
I assume you're talking about the shoulder seam? The shoulder seam on a shirt is normally like that, being slightly forward of the shoulders, rather than being right on the shoulder line.

Yes, the shoulder seam. Thanks for confirming that the shoulder seam should be slightly forward of the shoulders.

pglover19

Reaction score

Shirtmaven,

I sent you a PM.....

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ShirtMaven,

I have posted a photo with the collar buttoned. This is my first MTM shirt. So, I don't know what to look for.

you must have had a reason for going MTM. What did you not like about RTW shirts? What were you trying to correct?

pglover19

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
you must have had a reason for going MTM. What did you not like about RTW shirts? What were you trying to correct?

I am looking for a shirt with a more snug fit than the ready to wear (RTW) shirts. In addition, I have an athletic type body. I am nearly 6' 4" and my sleeve length is 36-37". In addition, one of my arms is 1/2" longer than the other. In addition, one of my shoulders slopes down farther than the other. So in summary, I am trying to achieve a more custom fit than what the RTW shirts offers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads