• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alfred Sargent Handgrade - Pictures

clintonf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Burton
You are correct, Clint. Happy Holidays to you as well. I hope to post up my new shoes soon.

Look forward to seeing your new shoes. In fact, I believe that Groover suggested more and when I get some more funds together, I've got a few in my mind's eye.

Haters gonna hate.

all the best,

Clint

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pliny
Well here they are - I went for the AS 48, added a medallion, and went for a red-brown colour. I couldn't be more impressed - so cheers for the inspiration.

AS311.jpg

They're in a better class than any other shoes Ive handled - e.g. C&J, Vass, EG RTW. I'm not knowledgeable on construction but the look and feel of these shoes has to be experienced first hand. The leather is flawless, thick and supple; the colouring is rich and lustrous and brings out the grain and texture. The stitching is perfectly aligned and robust. The last and general shape is sleek without being delicate, a perfect balance front and back, and I especially like the low cut quarter. (the shoes also fit v well); and the soles are beautifully beveled and waisted and cut very close to the upper, making the shoes much sleeker than any other double-soled double monk I've seen.
AS285.jpg

AS463.jpg

And Chay Cooper is a real gent.

these are quite nice thro pity about the seam in the back the make a great shoe rather plain

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
these are quite nice thro pity about the seam in the back the make a great shoe rather plain

it's a personal preference due these are MTO.

it's compareable to your seamless love.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl

Yeah, +1... I don't really get the fascination with a seamless back. Strange to say that a seam makes a great shoe plain. Who sees a seam? Who cares about it? Let's be real.

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Yeah, +1... I don't really get the fascination with a seamless back. Strange to say that a seam makes a great shoe plain. Who sees a seam? Who cares about it? Let's be real.

He is obsessed with seamless shoes.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cdmoore1855

we know that or should i say? we learned it the hard way...
laugh.gif

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

i somehow think he would not have a choice on HOW these were cut, but are these just sorta like the Vale from JLP, i guess adding the seam would make it less likely to be a dirrect copy od interlectual rights etc

Originally Posted by cdmoore1855

we know that or should i say? we learned it the hard way...
laugh.gif

cheers.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i somehow think he would not have a choice on HOW these were cut, but are these just sorta like the Vale from JLP, i guess adding the seam would make it less likely to be a dirrect copy od interlectual rights etc...
i dunno either, though he doesn't care for construction options. in fact it's a very traditional british way to do it.
cheers.gif
for being a good sports on the seamless analogy.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thank you. re: seam - I will just have to live with the plainness
facepalm.gif
(note to self: stop walking backwards)
i guess adding the seam would make it less likely to be a dirrect copy od interlectual rights etc
.. if they called it 'Vale' or 'Chapel' maybe, but even then I doubt it. There are no IP rights on swept monks - double or single, with or without seams - and a tragedy for us all if there were. It'd kill bespoke and MTO for a start! As Fritzl suggests, it's prob an English thing. Waste not want not.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
thank you. re: seam - I will just have to live with the plainness
facepalm.gif
(note to self: stop walking backwards)

.. if they called it 'Vale' or 'Chapel' maybe, but even then I doubt it. There are no IP rights on swept monks - double or single, with or without seams - and a tragedy for us all if there were. It'd kill bespoke and MTO for a start! As Fritzl suggests, it's prob an English thing. Waste not want not.

lol, i guess i think it is these small details that make the difference esp when there is a premium paid

but enjoy the shoes they are nice

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol, i guess i think it is these small details that make the difference esp when there is a premium paid

but enjoy the shoes they are nice

In the ranges in which AS competes this is the standard method of construction. EG & GG and the others use this similar method. I think these things are important to make sure we don't compare apples and oranges.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Vass Monk back seam left, AS monk right:

RearSeamsVassAS002.jpg

These back-seamed monks and a London 5 eyelet are the only Vass I have with this feature.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These back-seamed monks and a London 5 eyelet are the only Vass I have with this feature.
Luk I've looked at both the Vass and the AS monks more closely, and it appears to be in the nature of monks (the way the strap has to come over the upper) that the uppers must be made of at least 2 pieces of leather. And therefore at least 2 seams. Vass chooses to use 3 pieces - yes 3 - for the single monk upper, and places 3 seams - one at heel pictured, and one on each side. AS manages to make the upper with only 2 pieces of leather, and therefore 2 seams. Where they are joined is a question of aesthetics. In order to ensure the long unbroken line from toe to heel on the outer side of each shoe AS has place the joins at the heel and at the instep. (below)
AS304.jpg
IMO this is a more elegant and leaner solution than Vass's 3 seams - much as I love the Vass.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Vass chooses to use 3 pieces - yes 3 - for the single monk upper, and places 3 seams - one at heel pictured, and one on each side.
AS manages to make the upper with only 2 pieces of leather, and therefore 2 seams.
IMO this is a more elegant and leaner solution than Vass's 3 seams - much as I love the Vass.

i'm not sure, i can follow your description.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Vass chooses to use 3 pieces - yes 3 - for the single monk upper, and places 3 seams - one at heel pictured, and one on each side.
AS manages to make the upper with only 2 pieces of leather, and therefore 2 seams.

i'm not sure, i can follow your description.

Vass uses a vamp and two quarters (inside and outside sections have their own quarter) = 3 pieces.

AS does not use a separate quarter for the outside section. The outside goes through from toe to heel = 2 pieces.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads