• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yay or Nay on these old florsheim "Royal Imperial" shoes (confused)

it's ok ma'

Reaction score
So, I have been doing some research on here and I think I figured out that some Florsheim shoes are quality shoes while others are not. I think royal imperials are the line that is good, but then I find conflicting evidence that say some are just remakes of the royal imperials.

Would it be wise to put in a max bid of $40 for these shoes?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Royal-Imperial-F...item3363a8e440

I kind of like them, they look like they would make a great pair of shoes that I wouldn't mind scuffing and walking into puddles with.

The seller isn't sure if they are vintage but notes the "golden" florsheim label. Is this any indication of older shoes that are of quality?

Thanks guys.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nay. Not a fan of the color and the creasing... it's already more than I would pay for those.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
None of the seller's pics are showing up for me. Not a good sign.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can view them if you link directly to them

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't waste your money on those.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
While I am a fan of a bargain, especially on preowned stuff, I have never purchased a pair of shoes for $40 (or in that neighborhood) that I opened the box and went
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
YEAH! I usually go : "****, let me just take some pics and relist these.

it's ok ma'

Reaction score
laugh.gif
Yea, the pictures are all screwed up, they show up all over the place on my browser, have to scroll like crazy. The creases seem to be the only defects. That's not really a turn off for me. I am curious about that golden Royal Imperial label. I searched on here and can't find anything about that. Ugh, now that you mention it, the starting price is a bit high, I see other better shoes starting lower.
confused.gif
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
While I am a fan of a bargain, especially on preowned stuff, I have never purchased a pair of shoes for $40 (or in that neighborhood) that I opened the box and went
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
YEAH! I usually go : "****, let me just take some pics and relist these.

This is encouraging. You have a venerable wardrobe (from what I have gathered by lurking), so it's good to here you like preowned stuff. I am thinking at the moment as a just out of college kid this is going to be a route I am going to have to take. Most of the money I make goes toward housing/car payments.

Brogued

Reaction score
That price would probably be the very most I would pay for those shoes. They're not from the classic V-Cleat era. Florsheim had a long decline, with shoes from the 70's and 80's still being decent. There are many better examples of what it seems you want. I'd keep looking.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by it's ok ma'

This is encouraging. You have a venerable wardrobe (from what I have gathered by lurking), so it's good to here you like preowned stuff. I am thinking at the moment as a just out of college kid this is going to be a route I am going to have to take. Most of the money I make goes toward housing/car payments.

Thanks. Theres no shame in preowned, you just need to know what to look for and who its from. You can find quality, solid deals right here in our B&S, especially the ties in my sig
spam[1].gif
smile.gif

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't condone pre-owned shoes in general.

But if you don't mind, from thre pics, these look pretty good for $40.

I say knock yourself out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads