• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polo Ralph Lauren Suit Cuts

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are all of them other than the Bradford models generally regular cut with large armholes?

What can a tailor do to the jacket to make it more slim-fit, black-label like?

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing. You'll be paying too much to try to get it done.

steven_shenn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
Are all of them other than the Bradford models generally regular cut with large armholes?

What can a tailor do to the jacket to make it more slim-fit, black-label like?

Bring the jacket to your tailor, tell him what you want.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realize I could do that once I had the suit. But what could a tailor hypothetically do to a suit with the armholes?

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the armholes he can do almost nothing, unless he takes apart the suit and reconstructs it. Your tailor will be able to tell you the limit of his talent and desire.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I ended up buying a 40L (short side of L which I like) navy with white pinstripes polo ralph lauren suit new with tags off ebay... and it fits like black label. I dont even have to alter the waist, and RLBL usually still has room for tailoring with me. The armholes are nice and small/high. I'm very happy with the purchase, and gives me hope that not all polo ralph lauren suits are cut like sacks.
worship.gif

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
So I ended up buying a 40L (short side of L which I like) navy with white pinstripes polo ralph lauren suit new with tags off ebay... and it fits like black label. I dont even have to alter the waist, and RLBL usually still has room for tailoring with me. The armholes are nice and small/high. I'm very happy with the purchase, and gives me hope that not all polo ralph lauren suits are cut like sacks.
worship.gif

Which model is this? The Bradford?

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle
Which model is this? The Bradford?

No, although I've been looking for them. I don't know if it has a model name, but the tag where it would say Bradford, etc... says Clive.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Recent model PRL is very snug and slim. Almost Black Labelesque. I am not surprised. Good stuff.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
Recent model PRL is very snug and slim. Almost Black Labelesque. I am not surprised. Good stuff.

Only problem I've found with them is that too many have pleated front trousers. AFAIK, Black Label is the only RL line where every suit has flat fronts no matter what.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Only problem I've found with them is that too many have pleated front trousers. AFAIK, Black Label is the only RL line where every suit has flat fronts no matter what.

Yep. That's been keeping me from buying the suits, though obviously it's a nonissue with the sportcoats.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
Yep. That's been keeping me from buying the suits, though obviously it's a nonissue with the sportcoats.

Pleated trousers are much better than flat trousers, when they fit.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any one know what is the model name of the tweed SC with flap patch pockets and a single vent ? There were around 6-7 on sale from the same ebay seller some time back with no takers. However I was unable to locate them yesterday.

He had the model name in the listing title

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
Pleated trousers are much better than flat trousers, when they fit.

All depends on how the suit is supposed to fit. For those of us who like slimmer suits with lower rise trousers, they don't work very well. If you like a higher waist, then I agree, pleats can look nice, since they help create a nice drape of the fabric between the narrowest part of your torso (waist) and widest part (hip). However, for those of us who prefer to wear our trousers closer to the hip, pleats create extra bagginess, even if properly fitted.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All depends on how the suit is supposed to fit. For those of us who like slimmer suits with lower rise trousers, they don't work very well. If you like a higher waist, then I agree, pleats can look nice, since they help create a nice drape of the fabric between the narrowest part of your torso (waist) and widest part (hip). However, for those of us who prefer to wear our trousers closer to the hip, pleats create extra bagginess, even if properly fitted.

Such an irony,your post and your handle.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 84 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.3%

Forum statistics

Threads