• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indochino suits?

six70

Reaction score
DARN >.> Hopefully the second one I ordered with updated measurements will be half decent...
Photoon2011-12-27at1745.jpg
Photoon2011-12-27at17425.jpg
Photoon2011-12-27at17424.jpg
Photoon2011-12-27at17423.jpg
Photoon2011-12-27at17422.jpg
Photoon2011-12-27at1742.jpg
Photoon2011-12-27at17406.jpg
Photoon2011-12-27at17403.jpg
edit: Well I got this suit for new years but it isnt looking to well right now... I might have to take a trip to the boss store tomorrow seeing as their suits are only 2x the price of indochinos.

frustratedprocess12

Reaction score
Ordered the Hedonist Navy 3 piece, got it yesterday. Fabric was nice. Got a Signature Merino Wool 3-Button Suit from Jos A. Bank (http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop...1_10050_254393) and according to Jos A. Bank that is 4 star superfine wool (their rating, not mine) I would say the Hedonist's wool is a 3 star, it's nice, just didn't feel as nice as the Jos A Bank wool, but I am not an expert by any means. I was pleasantly surprised by the fit, the indochino tailors only altered one of my measurements - adding an inch to my chest but other than that they didn't alter anything. I went to a local tailor - had to explain the indochino process a couple times - and he even commented that it was pretty close to fitting me properly. He suggested subtracting 2" from the top and 4" from the hip. Shortening the sleeves by 3/4" (left) and 1" (right). Shortening the chest by 1 1/8" (left) and 3/4" (right). And subtracting 1/2" from the shoulder and 1/3" where it meets the collar (I still don't know what that means exactly). Right away he asked if I played sports, which I said I did in undergrad (rugby) because he noticed something about my left shoulder being lower. One complaint about the remake process is that it only says sleeves, or chest and doesn't give you an option for right or left, so hopefully my instruction are heeded (left them in the comments section). Even if they lack the ability to do right or left alterations, I told them to do the alterations for the lower number, ex. if they can't do different sleeve lengths, they should do both 3/4" and then my tailor can do the rest. All told, my tailor said the alterations would be about $108, which wasn't so bad. I was tempted to just have him do the work right there (I don't know why I felt kinda bad making him spend 15 minutes measuring me up and then not ordering some work on the spot, but since I know Indochino isn't perfect, they will give him plenty of stuff to do (hopefully not too much though). Also, I want to make sure indochino has my measurements perfectly, because I liked the Hedonist (and the two free shirts) so much that I returned the Jos A. Bank suit and plan on getting another suit. I had to eat the cost of the "tailoring" they did at the store - horrible job by their in house tailor. I'm not gonna post any real reviews or pictures until after I get the remake tailored by my tailor, I don't consider it a finished product until that point. Question for anyone in the know, how often do they do the redflags deals? Since I've already got 3 suits I'm in no hurry, just wondering.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by six70
Okay, I said I was out, but this looks so much better than the other pictures. You have a usable suit here. I think it would look better without the hacking pockets and the breast pocket looks very strange at the angle it's been set at, but, considering it's Indochino, it looks good in the pics you just posted.

raphael__n

Reaction score
Six70, shoulders should come in about 1/4". I had the same issue. One sit fits perfectly, while the other is a tad too long.

Jacket length needs at least an extra inch. And the crotch on your pants would benefit from a good amount of reduction. Together, the the extra jacket length + shorter crotch would make the fit appear a lot better.

Shirt sleeves could use a good 1/2" off, and about a 1/4" off on the jacket sleeve.

Pant length is definitely too long. Hard to tell the amount needed since they're folding over. The massive break is causing the rest of your pant leg to crumple up.

Finally the pocket flaps. They're too big and draw attention to themselves. Ask Indochino to reduce the height. My order featured massive pocket flaps as well. I would also opt to go for regular flaps, since the hacking pockets look strange as musicguy pointed out. But that's a matter of preference.

Musicguy, we get it. You don't like Indochino. The first of your three posts in this page on that subject told us that. But nobody is better off going to H&M for a suit unless they adore polyester. Indochino fitting takes patience, but they deliver as long as you're willing to wait. LorenzL's suits are a good example of that.

frustratedprocess12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
Anyway, I'm out. I will no longer post in this thread as it is obvious that people will buy Indochino no matter how their products turn out. Good luck everyone.
Musicguy I feel that you should be aware that some asshole has stolen your password and been signing your name to some dumb ass posts on styleforum. Sorry, could resist after reading this article about one business' EPIC response to a douchebag customer. http://www.acontinuouslean.com/2010/...ervice-c-1974/. But seriously, your tone of negativity and skepticism is completely unwarranted. Especially when it comes from your "expert" analysis of pictures of people (probably on the first make) taken at bad angles, sometimes taken by themselves. You probably haven't actually seen one in person much less held one or worn one have you? Sad you decided to break your word that you wouldn't post on this thread anymore.

sharks9022

Reaction score
Originally Posted by frustratedprocess12
Musicguy I feel that you should be aware that some asshole has stolen your password and been signing your name to some dumb ass posts on styleforum.

Sorry, could resist after reading this article about one business' EPIC response to a douchebag customer. http://www.acontinuouslean.com/2010/...ervice-c-1974/.
But seriously, your tone of negativity and skepticism is completely unwarranted. Especially when it comes from your "expert" analysis of pictures of people (probably on the first make) taken at bad angles, sometimes taken by themselves. You probably haven't actually seen one in person much less held one or worn one have you? Sad you decided to break your word that you wouldn't post on this thread anymore.

Six asked for help, all of Music's comments were warranted AND he correctly assessed the fit of the suit. Just because you think someone is an asshole doesn't give you the right to be one too.

frustratedprocess12

Reaction score
My post is getting at musicdouche's overly negative and critical snipes at indochino and the people who would order from them. I'm sure he "correctly" assessed the fit of the suit... first he said the suit was bad (shoulders to large, collar not hugging the body) then he changes his mind says its usable, but still tossing in the backhanded comment towards indochino. If I think he's a dick, I can say he's a dick - I just open myself up to someone like you saying I'm a dick, that is fine. Side note, I don't know why anyone would come to a message board to get advice on what to fix a suit, you are gonna need to bring it to a tailor to do the work anyhow (unless you are talented enough to do it yourself, but in that case you should have the eye...). You're tailor should be talented enough to see the problems and he's gonna see it in person, be able to touch it, feel how it fits on you. On these message board you are gonna have newbies like me who know nothing, or even "experts" like musicdouche who can't see or touch the jacket, and are probably gonna be seeing it from weird angles. In summation, Frack musicdouche.

LorenzL

Reaction score
Hi guys, don't mean to promote my own blog here, just one thing because it could be interesting for some of you: I'm running a competition to get more user reviews on the blog and I'm raffling off a 125$ Indochino coupon amongst the participants. So if you got some photos and some lines written with it, send me the review to [email protected] - I'll publish the review on my blog and you participate in the competition. more here: http://www.indochino-review.com/2010...o-voucher.html

Kovyor

Reaction score
Hi All -
I just bought an Indochino Star-Dusted Striped Suit. I really like the fabric, and the jacket feels great, I'm happy with the fit of the jacket. But the pants are much too tight, especially in the thigh region. Although I can put them on (they're not as tight as some of the jeans I have), when I sit down, they pucker up everywhere, and you can see the outline of my (thigh length) underwear. I don't feel comfortable wearing them in public.
So, I went in to the local "master tailor" today, a cute old man from Italy. He was offended that I had bought a suit from
a) China
b) The Internet
and told me there was nothing he could do with the pants, but he'd like to sell me a suit of his own. =)

I'm thinking of going to a local Chinese dry-cleaning shop that does alterations and trying my luck there. But I'd love to hear your opinions first:
1. Do you think there's hope that letting out the thigh area as much as the fabric allows will fix the pants? Or should I just ask for a remake directly?
2. Any tips for finding a good tailor that doesn't hate Indochino?

Thanks.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kovyor
Hi All -
I just bought an Indochino Star-Dusted Striped Suit. I really like the fabric, and the jacket feels great, I'm happy with the fit of the jacket. But the pants are much too tight, especially in the thigh region. Although I can put them on (they're not as tight as some of the jeans I have), when I sit down, they pucker up everywhere, and you can see the outline of my (thigh length) underwear. I don't feel comfortable wearing them in public.
So, I went in to the local "master tailor" today, a cute old man from Italy. He was offended that I had bought a suit from
a) China
b) The Internet
and told me there was nothing he could do with the pants, but he'd like to sell me a suit of his own. =)

I'm thinking of going to a local Chinese dry-cleaning shop that does alterations and trying my luck there. But I'd love to hear your opinions first:
1. Do you think there's hope that letting out the thigh area as much as the fabric allows will fix the pants? Or should I just ask for a remake directly?

Thanks.

send it back! you're going to trust your alterations from a dry cleaning spot?????!!!

wow

Tifochka

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kovyor
Hi All -
a) China
b) The Internet

Thanks.

I had the same problem with few of my Indochino pants, and in most cases my tailor was able to fix it just fine by letting out 1-1.5'' of material. Few times I had them remade, but if jacket is fine I would try to alter the pants to avoid a remake possibly mismatch old jacket.
Also, if your tailor does alterations -- let him stick to the business, why share the story how you obtained the suit? My tailor (old chinese man from Hong Kong) also like to critisize the competition, but he does the job. Pants alteration is a job for a skilled tailor, I'm not sure if that's the job for a dry cleaners.

eszeto

Reaction score
I recently bought a classic navy blue suit from Indochino and would like critique and suggestions on possible alterations. I hope it's okay to post a link to my blog as I've already uploaded pictures and this is much easier than re-uploading each individual image onto the forum. If it isn't allowed or is frowned upon, just let me know and I'll remove it as soon as possible. Thanks and I look forward to your suggestions!

http://theericszeto.blogspot.com

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eszeto
I recently bought a classic navy blue suit from Indochino and would like critique and suggestions on possible alterations. I hope it's okay to post a link to my blog as I've already uploaded pictures and this is much easier than re-uploading each individual image onto the forum. If it isn't allowed or is frowned upon, just let me know and I'll remove it as soon as possible. Thanks and I look forward to your suggestions!

i think you have a great fit there.
wasn't sure at first, but that final picture with the button done up convinced me.

is that your first from indochino?

Boswell

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blazingazn
i think you have a great fit there.
wasn't sure at first, but that final picture with the button done up convinced me.

is that your first from indochino?

It looks like a good fit to my eyes, but some would say the jacket is too short, wouldn't they?

jbharris88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eszeto

Quite impressed. If this was 1st try then they've done you well. Most take a few back and forths before getting this decent. I would rank it as one of the top 5 I've seen from IC.

In terms of critique, there is a little something funky with your left shoulder. The jacket is too short, especially for your long arms, or perhaps you are slouching, I can't tell. If you are going for something even more fitted, you could stand to tighten up adjustments (bicep/elbow/wrist) to get it more fitted. I'd also probably bring your shoulders in a bit more. Not sure how to relief some of the bunching on the back. The pants look good, but do they feel good? As personal preference, I'd have mine just a tad bit longer to cover the tops of my shoe laces a bit more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads