• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talk to me about moth protection

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle
I just gave all my suits a cursory look and I can't find any damage.

One thing I did notice was that on some of my older, less high-quality suits, there appeared to be very fine threads stuck to the front of the suit or the arms, and they appeared to match the lining color. It was almost as if some fibers from the lining had worked their way through the wool (but with no damage to the wool at all).

This is on a couple of older jackets, all fused. The pics are from a Paul Smith. In the second pic, some of the threads showing are purplish, just like the lining of the jacket.

I'm assuming that, whether or not I have moths, this is unrelated?

Just bumping to see if anyone has comments on the "poking through" I'm seeing.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude. It was less than an hour since your last post. Have a beer. Watch TV. Do some f**kin' thing.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unrefinery
Dude. It was less than an hour since your last post. Have a beer. Watch TV. Do some f**kin' thing.

LOLOLOL!!!

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unrefinery

Yea, yea, yea
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Now I'm all paranoid that I could potentially be out numerous expensive suits if indeed I do have a moth problem.

I haven't been around long enough to make my personality completely known, but suffice it to say, I'm obsessive enough about my clothes that it'll take a Xanax to calm me about them
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yea, yea, yea
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Now I'm all paranoid that I could potentially be out numerous expensive suits if indeed I do have a moth problem.

I haven't been around long enough to make my personality completely known, but suffice it to say, I'm obsessive enough about my clothes that it'll take a Xanax to calm me about them
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

dude...you said that you checked and saw nada. simmer down. turn on the tv. have a drink. call a bim.....you are all good...

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
dude...you said that you checked and saw nada. simmer down. turn on the tv. have a drink. call a bim.....you are all good...

Damn you and your logical reasoning!

Still curious if anyone has seen threads from a lining come through. I'm assuming that is all about a poor fusing job the more I think about it, but those two jackets are in quarantine as a precaution
laugh.gif

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
no need to quarantine. that isn't moth problem....

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
no need to quarantine. that isn't moth problem....

Just as I dragged the haz-mat gear out of storage...

And thanks for the diagnoses earlier in the thread.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
no probs...really does not sound like moths. like i said, they just don't take a small bite and then go away. that jacket would show damage..

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
get a cedar tie hangar cedar belt hanger cedar shoe trees all avaiable at allen edmonds and pop some of that xanax before you go crazy

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is it really necessary to have every suit cleaned? Even if there's no evidence of damage?

Yes. Assume they are all infected. Kill those sons of bitches before they have a chance to spread.

If I find more holes in other garments, I wonder if my renter's insurance will cover repairs/replacements?
Probably not.

stubloom

Reaction score
From the picture you posted, I would say it's definitely a moth hole. The shape of the hole would have been very different had it been a snag or a rip. That having been said, there is only one way to protect your fine wools against clothes moths or silverfish while they are being stored: DRY CLEAN BEFORE YOU STORE FOR THE SEASON. It so happens that I wrote a blog post this morning on this very subject. In that post I explain why the female adult moth is attracted to particular garments and not to others (even if they are in close proximity). The solution is quite simple: Understand the cause of the problem. Eliminate that specific cause. And you won't have to run around searching for solutions, most of which will be worthless anyway. Here's the link to my blog post: Blog post: Protecting your fine woolens against moths http://ravefabricare.com/true-qualit...nst-moths.aspx If you have any further questions, I'll be happy to respond. Good luck.

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
Won't mothballs put in the bag with a suit make the suit smell like moth balls?

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have seen silverfish in my apt. once or twice, usually in the bathroom. ****. Glad I'm moving. Is it really necessary to have every suit cleaned? Even if there's no evidence of damage?

If I find more holes in other garments, I wonder if my renter's insurance will cover repairs/replacements?

silverfish eat suits? ohh sh*t! i've seen them in my apt

stubloom

Reaction score
Re: Jay Gatsby's question about moth balls.

Moth balls are one of those worthless solutions to the problem that I identify in the blog post referenced above. Over the past year alone, Iv'e handled numerous moth eaten garments that have reeked of moth balls. Apart from the fact that moth balls are toxic, it is really difficult to remove the odor even with multiple dry cleanings.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads