• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newlaw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lafont
The first thing this podiatrist said, when seeing my Cole Haans on the floor, was that they are "stylish but...."
This time I'm trying something else. I'm told some things on my feet will go away with better shoes for my condition (and age).

Why not ask the podiatrist if he has brand recommendations?

i10casual

Reaction score
Best spastic shoe that doesn't look like one! You can go ecco or finn comfort if you need a supportive shoe. I really like ecco for the support and they are well made. I use them for conventions and such were I will be on my feet ten hours a day for a week. I had bursitis and heel spurs in my feet for a couple of years and these are all I could stand to wear.

A draw back is they insist on branding a giant E somewhere on the shoe. Also, they are only good for about one or two years of wear.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly why does this Ecco look so casual? I can't place it.
The soles aren't THAT huge and rubbery from the top.
Is it the large double stitching?

The leather looks "rugged", and doesn't have the same sheen of dress shoes.

I agree with above posters, I wouldn't pay $165 for this.
If you need rubbery comfy shoes, you can get this in any mall brand for $50. Bass, Rockport, etc.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as the soles not being repairable, I'd replace them with new soles - probably rubber, if possible - instead. Are you saying a good shoemaker cannot replace the shoes on your Ecco shoes? That would be a definite drawback.
As far as the soles on these shoes being quite casual, I thought I wouldn't be able to get my xtra-large rubbers over them but I can. That to me is sort of a mark of a shoe that's at least somewhat dressy.
The podiatrist did mention Rockport, in particular. I've had various Rockport, such as my current cold-weather casual pair, but I don't consider them all that well made. At least fairly comfortable - usually.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LaFont, There is no sense buying $160 Ecco shoes. You're better off with disposable $30 shoes, or $300 shoes that you resole every few years. I think you're barking up the wrong tree, and are going to waste your money. You sound like you want a "good" shoe, but without paying $300+, and while still being casual and comfortable (rubber soles, etc). If you want uninspiring, generic rubbery black shoes, just buy these for $30 new/shipped off Ebay. Use the $120 you just saved elsewhere. http://cgi.ebay.com/DEER-STAGS-Edito...ht_1926wt_1140 http://cgi.ebay.com/SEBAGO-Cabot-Bla...ht_1872wt_1140

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
Ecco specifically told me that the walking shoes I bought from them pre-SF cannot be resoled or repaired and are to be thrown away when no good.

That having been said, I'm still trying to find something that will survive the hours of walking I do a day through cities. Any suggestions? I was thinking something like the Alden Indy Boot, but wondering how that can be resoled/reheeled when I have no Aldens in my town and few competetent cobblers around.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as the re-soling, I used to be told that with some shoes but in recent years my main shoemaker seems to be able to re-sole what I bring him. Not regular athletic shoes, obviously. The features described on the web for my shoes do make the special features sound attractive. I wouldn't be the least bit interested in very cheap shoes, such as some have just mentioned here.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Btw, I do find it slightly annoying the Ecco box is marked size 43 ("9-1/2"). The attached chart shows size 43 as only a U.S. "9." Haven't looked on other charts. The shoes do seem slightly large for a 9, my usual size now for dress shoes, but they're probably okay. I'd like to think as them as a 9, anyway. Yet the box is marked with both sizes. I don't want to look now; has anyone seen a European 43 marked "9-9 1/2"? Why would Ecco mark the box like that?

i10casual

Reaction score
I have a pair of their shoes that look like bowling shoes. I wear a 9 and these are true to size. '
I tried on their hiking style boots last year and a 9 fit like a 9.5. So I'm guessing in a dress or casual they are true to size but their boots are a half size larger. The borne boots are better if you are going this route.

I wouldn't resould a shoe unless you paid over $200. Just donate the old shoe and get another.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two pairs of Eccos -- one black and one brown. They served me well working in some nasty climates -- Moscow, London and Amsterdam. No, they are not "dress shoes" but they saved a lot of my true dress shoes from being ruined by rain and snow. I wore them commuting to work, then changed shoes in the office. As others have mentioned, they are very comfortable for walking. The are also my "trade show shoes" where I either stand for eight hours a day as an exhibitor or walk 20 miles as an attendee. My shoemaker had no problems replacing the rubber soles.

Nothing wrong with Eccos when worn for the right reasons.

Twotone

Newlaw

Reaction score
The Van Ness is a rubber soled shoe from Allen Edmonds that is on sale right now for $199.00. Not sure if that is out of your price range or not... It might be worth it if AE is able to resole the rubber soles. I would certainly go for something like this over the Ecco's at $165.00 though.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...ategory=120552

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

phailing101

Reaction score
A few good points made so far:

(1) I would wear those for my outdoor walking during the winter months. I'm also from a cold climate (Canada) and I leave my proper shoes in my office and use rubber soled shoes much like those Eccos to walk outside when its wet/snow outside.

(2) If those are actually for around the office, they will fit in fine with all your co-workers. I wouldn't touch them though and nor would anyone else on this forum. Find a pair of AEs off ebay in your size (or similar brand) and be happy. You can often find them for $150-200 shipped to your door on ebay in a variety of styles.

You don't need to spend $500+ on a pair of shoes but if you start in your price range now you'll learn to appreciate the quality and will be ordering a $500+ pair later in your career. That's a guarantee.

katiedaddy

Reaction score
Comfortable on both on the street and the golf course. Ecco's were one of the lightest shoes I've ever worn, can't say I dig their style generally.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads