• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is French Style to you?

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
artoftime;3943837 said:
Originally Posted by George
Firstly, Le Corbusier wasn't the first architect to advocate the removal of ostentation. Loos did it before him and there were others before Loos. I never stated he was the first - far from it - the secessionists, shakers, etc. were aeons before him. The rest can obviously be debated round and round...not necessarily my desire to do so, just came to the defense of a pivotal figure of modernism. You may not like ostentation/decoration, but unfortunately, a great many do. A great many fools are attracted to decoration on anything they can get their hands on. It can serve as a great deviator of functionality in purposeful design. I happen to adore any design or architectural period if it is done well, be it Victorian Beaux Arts, or Minimalism. I gravitate toward the dialogue between and find that's where a harmony exists. Architecture is not like a picture on a an art gallery wall, that can be taken down if it offends, it can be there for decades, blighting the lives of those who live amongst it. This is a good point, and a specific duty of Architecture where civic functionality or duty is mostly overlooked. Corbusier the Civic totalitarian planner? clearly, no. The Architect, Artist, Designer? Absolutely. Much of his ideology of living systems and the home as a machine, are amazing visions of the functional domesticity we enjoy today. Let us feast ourselves once more on this vision:
images-7-1.jpg
images-6-3.jpg
images-5-3.jpg
images-4-3.jpg
images-3-3.jpg

There is something, cold, stark, and most importantly, in-humane about Le Corbs [architectural] work and his post WWII legacy has been largely destructive. I'd like to come back to some of your other point, another time, time permitting because they are interesting in the context of SF.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here is the prime minister and hit smokin hot wife

article-0-02A91DF3000005DC-331_468x343.jpg

Southlondongent

Reaction score
If ever you are in London check out Sir John Soane's Museum. A master in the use of light. Also, take a ride out to see the Art Museum at Dulwich he designed which has formed the basis of Art Gallery design ever since.

The Villa Savoie is interesting in that it was a failure functionality, the roof leaked, due to it being flat. So, as we see Le Corb. wasn't immune to letting form, triumph over function.

The house was for all intents and purposes practically uninhabitable. He was about to be sued by the owner but the outbreak of the second world war saved him from this IIRC.

+1 on Dulwich Picture Gallery. The area also has some outstanding examples of Deco/Modernist architecture such as Six Pillars in Sydenham.

Unfortunately IMHO LC & Modern(ist) architecture in general receive undue criticism due to the more brutalist aspects of the style & the fact that post-war town planners used l'Unite d Habitation as a template for failed housing estates.

Partly as a result, particularly in the UK , Modern design is associated by many with socal housing. Fortunately this perception is changing particularly amongst discerning younger people.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
I definitely need to visit your country and I always visit museums in the places I go to; I'll put these on the list. Leaking roof, stupid owners... details. I think it's a brilliant house. I'd love a house like that; I'd like a modern kitchen and bathroom, but other than that, it would be perfect. If ever you are in (near) Paris again...
Well, remember in Le Corbs vision 'a house is machine for living in'. Ain't much of a machine if it don't work.
wink.gif
I've seen the house as well as his collaborative work in Marseilles; Unite d'Habitation and also some other stuff too. It needs to be said that he didn't design any buildings in Britain but his influence was huge, especially after WWII. He still seems something of saint in Architectural schools which worries me a little.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, remember in Le Corbs vision 'a house is machine for living in'. Ain't much of a machine if it don't work.
wink.gif

Hehe. I'm sure there are Aston Martins that leak or rust...

I've seen the house as well as his collaborative work in Marseilles; Unite d'Habitation and also some other stuff too.

It needs to be said that he didn't design any buildings in Britain but his influence was huge, especially after WWII.

He still seems something of saint in Architectural schools which worries me a little.

Okay, then you were obviously not "caught" the way I was. Like I said: it gave me a feeling of freedom, so I didn't find it cold, stark or in-humane at all, au contraire. But I tend to like sober, unornamented stuff, in all kinds of fields (including clothes), so for me it was like coming home.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
Hehe. I'm sure there are Aston Martins that leak or rust... Okay, then you were obviously not "caught" the way I was. Like I said: it gave me a feeling of freedom, so I didn't find it cold, stark or in-humane at all, au contraire. But I tend to like sober, unornamented stuff, in all kinds of fields (including clothes), so for me it was like coming home.
Well, I understand that, I like simple spaces too, but I also understand that there are others who don't, there are others who like decoration and ornamentation, that doesn't make them 'fools' or 'degenirate' as was Loos' view, and that's the important point, Le Corbusier wanted to impose his view onto others without considering what they wanted. That's a conceit. Corb. is a very divisive character, with as many admirers as detractors. Architecturally I put myself squarely in the latter camp. His furniture designs, I'm a little more open too.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is depressing.

George is right about Jeanneret, of course.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southlondongent
+1 on Dulwich Picture Gallery. The area also has some outstanding examples of Deco/Modernist architecture such as Six Pillars in Sydenham. Unfortunately IMHO LC & Modern(ist) architecture in general receive undue criticism due to the more brutalist aspects of the style & the fact that post-war town planners used l'Unite d Habitation as a template for failed housing estates. Partly as a result, particularly in the UK , Modern design is associated by many with socal housing. Fortunately this perception is changing particularly amongst discerning younger people.
Yes, Urban Splash have recently re-furbed Park Hall in Sheffield. http://www.urbansplash.co.uk/projects/park-hill There seems to be something of a re-evaluation (rehabilitation?) of modernist architecture in Britain with some listed building applications going in to save them from the wrecking ball. Also, there was recently a review of Le Corbusier work at the Barbican that an architect friend wanted to take me to, but I couldn't make the time.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's a French thread without a bit of Lautrec?
Lautrec_moulin_rouge_la_goulue_poster_1891.jpg
Lautrec-troupe-eglantine.jpg
Lautrec_ambassadeurs,_aristide_bruant_%28poster%29_1892.jpg
Henri+de+Toulouse-Lautrec+-+La+vache+enragee.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads