• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lateness/tardiness policies...

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lots of theory x manager-wanna-be's around here.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
The question I would ask: Does the employee get his/her work done? If yes, there is no problem.
+1

This.

Work = Done and done well = No problem.

If the work isn't being done the tardiness isn't the issue.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IUtoSLU
I can't take anyone seriously who works less than 50 hours a week. As Douglas said, 9:00 seems late to me. 9:25 is unacceptable. With the way the economy is now, warn him once then can him. You can get a list of 50 drones to take his place tomorrow.

Also, nothing pisses me off more than salaried workers who leave at exactly 5:00 each day. Have you no dignity?

I don't know what you do for a living but if you really believe this we certainly are coming from entirely different points of view.

I spend every single day thinking of ways to work LESS and make MORE for doing it. As it stands I put in perhaps 10-15hrs a week managing the businesses I own. I manage owning them in that time. I pay someone else to manage them.

I hire people who think the way I do. Make every hour you work worth more $$$$. That helps both me and them.

TGPlastic

Reaction score
I can't take anyone seriously who works less than 50 hours a week. As Douglas said, 9:00 seems late to me. 9:25 is unacceptable. With the way the economy is now, warn him once then can him. You can get a list of 50 drones to take his place tomorrow.

Also, nothing pisses me off more than salaried workers who leave at exactly 5:00 each day. Have you no dignity?

I thought the only people who worked more than 40 a week were unattractive middle-aged lesbians bucking for a Supreme Court appointment.

janinvan

Reaction score
Guilt seems to be the policy at work at my office.

Me:
lookaround.gif

Boss:
angry.gif

Me:
cold[1].gif

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
You guys really crack down on people being late by 10-20 minutes in a white collar environment? I understand blue collar but for a desk job?
+1. I wouldn't consider working for someone this anal retentive and I have never encountered this in my field. I thought this was for interns and tech support. What matters is getting your work done. If someone can get the work done in less time then who cares when they come and go? They are a more efficient and better employee. If someone has enough free time to keep track of when you arrive and leave clearly there are other issues.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tj100
Interesting legal question RE: wage and hour law. I wonder if you have a strictly set schedule (say, 9 to 5), do you open yourself to an overtime claim if you ever ask salaried employees to stay past 5:00?

Have you ever had a job? This is not an interesting legal question. This is summed up in one or two words in the terms of your employment (exempt or non-exempt).

If you are non-exempt, you are paid time and a half past 40 hours worked per week (take your weekly salary, divide by your workweek in hours and multiply by 1.5). If you are not paid this, you are entitled to back wages.

If you are exempt, you get your salary no matter how many hours you work.

The interesting legal question is how can so many people be claimed as exempt? The rules are fairly specific about what kind of positions can be declared exempt from overtime pay...but almost all of my friends first jobs after college started out exempt (despite them not clearly fitting any of the categories).

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by janinvan
Guilt seems to be the policy at work at my office.

Me:
lookaround.gif

Boss:
angry.gif

Me:
cold[1].gif

I hope your situation improves. I'm imagine that the "guilt policy" makes work less than enjoyable.

tj100

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
This is summed up in one or two words in the terms of your employment (exempt or non-exempt).

If you are non-exempt, you are paid time and a half past 40 hours worked per week (take your weekly salary, divide by your workweek in hours and multiply by 1.5). If you are not paid this, you are entitled to back wages.

If you are exempt, you get your salary no matter how many hours you work.

The interesting legal question is how can so many people be claimed as exempt? The rules are fairly specific about what kind of positions can be declared exempt from overtime pay...but almost all of my friends first jobs after college started out exempt (despite them not clearly fitting any of the categories).

Right, the question is whether working a strictly defined schedule invalidates your employers declaration that you are "exempt". Just because your employer thinks you should be exempt doesn't mean that the law necessarily agrees.

Looking up the tests, one of the contributing factors under the duties test is "setting hours of work" - so, IMHO, this is an area to tread lightly on or at a minimum to tread with legal guidance.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CouttsClient
I don't know what you do for a living but if you really believe this we certainly are coming from entirely different points of view.

I spend every single day thinking of ways to work LESS and make MORE for doing it. As it stands I put in perhaps 10-15hrs a week managing the businesses I own. I manage owning them in that time. I pay someone else to manage them.

I hire people who think the way I do. Make every hour you work worth more $$$$. That helps both me and them.

Originally Posted by TGPlastic
I thought the only people who worked more than 40 a week were unattractive middle-aged lesbians bucking for a Supreme Court appointment.

Employee cogs who come in late everyday are simply not working hard enough. I expect serious professionals to put in the hours. Of course, my profession, law, is more prone to pushing people to work longer as well as harder. By the way, I consider myself an employee cog as just about everyone is replaceable.

Happy holidays, merry Christmas and happy new year.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Employee cogs who come in late everyday are simply not working hard enough. I expect serious professionals to put in the hours. Of course, my profession, law, is more prone to pushing people to work longer as well as harder. By the way, I consider myself an employee cog as just about everyone is replaceable.

Happy holidays, merry Christmas and happy new year.

Understood
smile.gif
Happy holidays to you!

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Many interesting viewpoints have been brought up in this thread. I'm interested to see the responses to this suggestion. For me personally, having my pay lowered would absolutely destroy my morale/motivation.

Why wouldn't it motivate you to correct the issue?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
[J]ust about everyone is replaceable.
I'm not.
devil.gif

Big T

Reaction score
Whatever you do for a policy, it has to be equally enforced on all. I have had a similar problem and was actually receiving complaints from the violator's co-workers. I did not change the policy, but instead I talked to the violator and gave her a written warning (since this had happened before and she was making a habit of coming in late and leaving early). I also talked to all others, informing them that I must enforce the policy equally to them.

Robert Evans

Reaction score
If employees are late and still do a bad job - fire them. If the employees do an amazing job for you, but are frequently late, leave them the **** alone and be grateful that you have these people working for you, because they could easily leave your ass and do that amazing job for your competitor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads