• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BB 1818 suit with Zegna Cloth - How Old

Troilus

Reaction score
I just purchased a new suit from Brooks Brothers' online clearance section--a three-piece Madison in a light brown. The suit has an 1818 tag and was sold as an 1818, but the tag says it's made with Zegna cloth (specifically, the blue tag says "Tessuto Ermenegildo Zegna").

I glanced through some of SF threads and noted that there's been some disbelief that these suits exist. My other 1818's are not Zegna fabric, so I was wondering if anyone else has an 1818 with Zegna fabric, and if so, how old is the suit. Just curious if I'm ever going to get this kind of nice fabric on an 1818 again.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure, but one thing I saw of interest: one of the Milano 1818 suits on the website (navy stripe) is listed as being made from Loro Piana wool.

I'll be curious to hear what the fabric is like on the one you ordered. I've seen similar blue tags on suits at Off 5th and the material didn't feel at all like my mainline Zegna suits. More like my Z-Zegna suits that aren't made of real Zegna cloth.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I don't understand the skepticism. Brooks Brothers' openly markets some overcoats as made with Loro Piana Storm System fabric. I can easily believe they might also use Zegna fabric for suits.

x26

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Troilus
I just purchased a new suit from Brooks Brothers' online clearance section--a three-piece Madison in a light brown. The suit has an 1818 tag and was sold as an 1818, but the tag says it's made with Zegna cloth (specifically, the blue tag says "Tessuto Ermenegildo Zegna").

I glanced through some of SF threads and noted that there's been some disbelief that these suits exist. My other 1818's are not Zegna fabric, so I was wondering if anyone else has an 1818 with Zegna fabric, and if so, how old is the suit. Just curious if I'm ever going to get this kind of nice fabric on an 1818 again.

I saw a Golden Fleece Regent made by Zegna 3 years ago. Fabulous looking! (tagged at $2,400.00)

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle
More like my Z-Zegna suits that aren't made of real Zegna cloth.
I doubt Zegna buys cloth from others to manufacture suits. The quality probably just isn't as fine as what they use in their best suits.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
I doubt Zegna buys cloth from others to manufacture suits. The quality probably just isn't as fine as what they use in their best suits.

Perhaps they do make low end materials themselves. I have a couple old suits from the Z line and while some of them are made of great material, some of them don't feel any better than entry level Hugo Boss or Jos. A Bank material. It would surprise me that a company that built its reputation as a manufacturer of fine cloth would make this kind of crappy material for its diffusion line vs. just outsourcing that elsewhere (seeing as the suits themselves are all fused and made in Mexico anyways).

PaulSLH

Reaction score
If they put their name to crappy suits made of crappy material then why would they be any less happy to put their name to the crappy material too?

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Brooks Brother's employee in my kitchen says it is a Fall 2010 fashion suit. For whatever reason it is made with the Zenga fabric you posted.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaulSLH
If they put their name to crappy suits made of crappy material then why would they be any less happy to put their name to the crappy material too?

Well, I figured when manufacturers purchase Zegna cloth, they are paying, to some degree, for the name and the reputation. Therefore, they'd be unlikely to purchase crappy cloth from Zegna to make their own suits, there's plenty of inexpensive crappy cloth out there. Ergo, if they can't sell it as just cloth it probably doesn't make economic sense for them to produce in-house, better to reserve that capacity for the finer cloths that they can sell in bulk to others.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle
Well, I figured when manufacturers purchase Zegna cloth, they are paying, to some degree, for the name and the reputation. Therefore, they'd be unlikely to purchase crappy cloth from Zegna to make their own suits

This makes no sense. If they're buying the glow of the name they want to bask in the name.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
This makes no sense. If they're buying the glow of the name they want to bask in the name.

I suppose I misspoke, I meant the reputation more than the name.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads