• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suspenders Question

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I am thinking of ordering a pair of Albert Thurston suspenders.
If I am only 5'6 would a Medium be recomended?
Also if purchased directly do they send buttons to sew into the pants?

I was reading through past threads and saw peeps mention something about extra material hanging, what exactly are they referring to?

Thx in advance.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, you should order medium. No, they don't come with buttons.

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where can I purchase the buttons?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edubs01
Where can I purchase the buttons?

ask your tailor to sew them in. not that expensive at all...

The Silverfox

Reaction score
Medium should be fine, and yes they do come with buttons.

In fact, I've never experienced not getting buttons in thurston braces. It's a small plastic bag included in the box containing six black buttons for sewing into the trousers. I've recently ordered a pair of barathea braces from thurston directly, and a while back I bought a pair of braces from a tailor-shop that had been laying around their storage for years. Both had a bag of buttons in them, so this is something they've done for a long time I think, and something they still do and I dare guess something they will continue doing for the foreseeable future.

That being said, if you get a tailor to do it for you, it's not like he will charge you extra for not supplying the buttons.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edubs01
I was reading through past threads and saw peeps mention something about extra material hanging, what exactly are they referring to?
Your peeps may have been referring to this:

braces01.JPG

What you see in the above image is pretty extreme, but I have it on good authority that many men in Britain, especially in the aristocracy, consider dangling tabs to be quite fashionable. The braces I ordered from Thurston used to hang down just a little below the top of my waistband. I wore them that way for a while, but they eventually irritated me enough that I had them trimmed by my alterations tailor, thus:

Braces-2.jpg

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Silverfox
Medium should be fine, and yes they do come with buttons.

In fact, I've never experienced not getting buttons in thurston braces.

Hmmm, I must have missed them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads