• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grenadine Ties Uncovered

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chenzhongbi
I saw the tailor wearing almost the same tie when he did the fitting for my blazer. Since the it was in RL mansion, so I assumed that the tie was made by RL. A fantastic tie, I must say.

I've seen grenadine garza fina ties such as that from both Polo and Black Label, but it has been a few years.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Naive, Jr.
Why do you only deal in the large and not the other? Is there insufficient demand for the fine?
I prefer the large weave because it is more visible, more visually interesting.
Originally Posted by Matt S
Knits are made like a tube with no lining. I will eventually post a diagram of a knit, but I am away for the next two weeks.
This I would like to see. Naive, Jr.: You can also read a bit about the difference between woven and knit on Wikipedia.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread. I think I have a couple of fine grain grenadine ties then. Does anyone weave them with yarn of more than one colour?

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
Interesting thread. I think I have a couple of fine grain grenadine ties then. Does anyone weave them with yarn of more than one colour?

You can get them from Jpress, they have them in 4 different colors. I have two of fine weave and prefer them to gross or whatever it is called.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BdeRWest
David, if you folks do start carrying garza fina, I'd be very interested in it. When do you think you'd have the new ties for sale?

BdeRWest,

We will order Grenadine Graza Fina silks in probably one week from now. So perhaps in 2 months we will have a wide selection for sale.

In our new pin dot and stripe grenadines will follow possibly a month later...

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sam Hober
BdeRWest,

We will order Grenadine Graza Fina silks in probably one week from now. So perhaps in 2 months we will have a wide selection for sale.

In our new pin dot and stripe grenadines will follow possibly a month later...

David,
I look forward to this. I hope that there will be a variety of selection, i.e. stripes as well. I got your swatch,thank you but for some reason after I bought couple of Fina ones I fell in love with them. They make a better knot,at least in my opinion.
I have navy and grey Grenadine Fina silk ties at the moment but can't find any other varieties, your offerings would be spot on!

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
David,
I look forward to this. I hope that there will be a variety of selection, i.e. stripes as well. I got your swatch,thank you but for some reason after I bought couple of Fina ones I fell in love with them. They make a better knot,at least in my opinion.
I have navy and grey Grenadine Fina silk ties at the moment but can't find any other varieties, your offerings would be spot on!

Forex,

We will probably have a large variety of solid Grenadine Garza Finas.

I will consider stripes also - if I have them woven they will be after the solids.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
david hober - can you show us the difference between your lined/ unlined grenadines, 3 fold, 4 fold and 6 fold? thanks. would like to place an order

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forex,

We will probably have a large variety of solid Grenadine Garza Finas.

I will consider stripes also - if I have them woven they will be after the solids.

Great news, bad for my pocket .
biggrin.gif

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great diagrams from the OP and great photos from David. I prefer the grenadine garza grossa and was very disappointed several years ago when I bought a grenadine from JPress and noticed the different weave. At the time I didn't know about garza grossa/fina.

FWIW, I think Brioni also sells the garza grossa. I've seen several Brioni grenadines on sale at SOF that look very much like my garza grossa ties and not much like my JPress garza fina.

I really wish I could justify wearing ties more often. :sigh:

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
david hober - can you show us the difference between your lined/ unlined grenadines, 3 fold, 4 fold and 6 fold? thanks. would like to place an order

ThinkDerm,

Thank you for your question, which is a good one.

Just at the moment I do not have detailed photos of the backs of ties close-by - but I really should.

A few words may help:

To start we do not suggest unlined grenadines as it is a loose weave although the Garza Fina weave might be more suitable, just a theory today.

With that said if a gentleman talks to us at length and really wants something we will usually make the tie as requested as long as they understand that it is a sartorial experiment.

Please note that a lined grenadine with an unlined tipping is a possibility and we can make rolled edges like our pocket squares.

Our lined 3-fold grenadines are the basic classic construction. The difference between ours and other grenadines is that ours are made very slowly with a great deal of care to the fit and finish and of course ours are custom made/bespoke. You will not find our attention to detail elsewhere. It takes us roughly 2 hours to make a 3-fold grenadine.

A lined 4-fold construction is the same as a 3-fold except that there is an extra fold which helps increase the durability of the tie as the back will hold together better over time.

A lined 6-fold construction is the same as a 4-fold but has 2 extra folds and has a luxurious drape.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
WIW, I think Brioni also sells the garza grossa. I've seen several Brioni grenadines on sale at SOF that look very much like my garza grossa ties and not much like my JPress garza fina.

I've seen both from Brioni. I saw a brown garza fina from Brioni at Saks Off Fifth today.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ThinkDerm,

Thank you for your question, which is a good one.

Just at the moment I do not have detailed photos of the backs of ties close-by - but I really should.

A few words may help:

To start we do not suggest unlined grenadines as it is a loose weave although the Garza Fina weave might be more suitable, just a theory today.

With that said if a gentleman talks to us at length and really wants something we will usually make the tie as requested as long as they understand that it is a sartorial experiment.

Please note that a lined grenadine with an unlined tipping is a possibility and we can make rolled edges like our pocket squares.

Our lined 3-fold grenadines are the basic classic construction. The difference between ours and other grenadines is that ours are made very slowly with a great deal of care to the fit and finish and of course ours are custom made/bespoke. You will not find our attention to detail elsewhere. It takes us roughly 2 hours to make a 3-fold grenadine.

A lined 4-fold construction is the same as a 3-fold except that there is an extra fold which helps increase the durability of the tie as the back will hold together better over time.

A lined 6-fold construction is the same as a 4-fold but has 2 extra folds and has a luxurious drape.

would love to see photos, if and when these are ready (perhaps snap a few photos during the construction of the next order)! I am sure this will enhance the discussion on the board.

HarleyBob

Reaction score
I have quite a few grenadine ties at this point (12 of David's grossas and several of another manufacturer's finas.) I much prefer David's grenadines, that's not to say that I wouldn't try some of his if he gets the finas in.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm

Here is a photo of one of our lined 6-fold grenadines:

sixfoldnavybluegrenadine-2.jpg

The 4-fold will look the same as a standard 3-fold

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads