• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cowsareforeating
you look like you have the same problem that i have with clothes -- how tall are you/what size?

from pic im guessing 5'6/5'7 because your shirt is long your legs look short...

fits fine though.

also dont know if this is what you were going for, but your fit looks straight all the way down from the shoulders...

5'6/5'7.... I wish. I'm more like 5'2"/5'3". I'm afraid I got short genes from both mom and dad. Unfortunately because I'm not skinny as a twig I can't wear stuff that is super small. Stuff that fits me is generally too long. I wish companies that make "tall" versions of garments would make "short" versions as well.

As far as the straight down, I didn't really think about that, but looking back, you are right. Not sure what I should do in this fit to fix that. That's kind of how my body is shaped...

Originally Posted by shibbel
get a ******* hair cut.

Yup. I'm going on vacation next week but when I get back I'm going to head to a stylist and see what they can do. I started a thread on it here, would appreciate some advice on what I should do.

Originally Posted by Uncontrol
his hair is the least of his problems

dude. I know I dress like ****...that's why I'm on this site. But saying stuff like that isn't really constructive towards helping me learn how to dress better.

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IIIrd: maybe yellowish or camel colored gloves would look better. It looks like the jacket is black or else I'd say brown gloves.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by snowmanxl
lol, sorry guys!! this is my fourth pic-taking place ive tried. i guess next will be somewhere outside, ill need to find a ledge at the right height. i think the height here is good? anyways, why does it not compute?(assuming you could see) heres a description: (because there are people over for the holidays and if they see me taking pics of myself...
uhoh.gif
) sweat shirt, dual-layer tee, black jeans, black sneakers

Like I said... that light behind you + table to your left = awesome photo tools. Nice natural light + an angled POV... and you don't even have to go outside
smile.gif

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cowsareforeating
then smaller cuffs?
Originally Posted by PaulYAY
IIIrd: maybe yellowish or camel colored gloves would look better. It looks like the jacket is black or else I'd say brown gloves.
chunky cuffs is part of the look, but yea camel colored gloves wud've been more apropos. tnx.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mike868y
dude. I know I dress like ****...that's why I'm on this site. But saying stuff like that isn't really constructive towards helping me learn how to dress better.
I'm not a fan of what you choose. Plaid shirts can work, but yours looks a bit like a dumpy skateboarder shirt. But let's put stylistic things aside. What you want to do is lengthen your silhouette. First, I advise that you not stack pants. It makes your legs look shorter as it breaks up the line from your waistline to your cuff. Get pants that have no break. Since you want pants with no break, I would also stay away from jeans. Try chinos, and if you can afford them, wool trousers. You look young, so you may be cringing at the idea of wool trousers, but remember there are options such as flannel. You don't have to go with tropical wool, which tends to look more dressy. Second, avoid low rise pants. You want to lengthen the look of your legs. Getting something more mid-rise would be advisable. Third, don't sag your pants. Again, your just shortening your legs when you do that, which emphasizes how short you are. Wear your pants at your hips. Fourth, get shirts hemmed at the bottom or tuck them in. I know tucking in shirts can be kind of "square" at your age, so perhaps hemming them is the better option. You want shirts to hit about two or three inches below your belt. A tailor can do this for you. Note that you might not want completely square bottoms, but a slightly curved one. That's a stylistic choice, however, and up to you, but is something to consider when you're just chopping off the bottom of your clothes. Fifth, get your sleeves shortened. The length of your sleeves is too long, which again emphasizes your shortness. Your clothes look too big for you. This is also something a tailor can fix for you. Note, however, that you don't want the sleeves to be too short. This video explains long you want them to be. Overall, you want to emphasize the length of your legs. You'll want to do this by supporting a clean vertical line and having either no break or a very small break in your pants. You may also want to have some shape in the body by emphasizing your shoulders and hips by having some waist suppression in your jackets and outerwear. Not to sound insulting, but you may also want to check out the boy's section of clothing stores. Some of the larger sizes there will fit you better. As well, find a good tailor and be sure to try a few out when starting. You want to develop a discerning eye for tailoring, as these people are hacking away at your clothes. Once you've found one, bring everything you buy there before you wear it. Finally, check out Short Shrifted. It's more rooted in MC styles, which is largely about suits and dressier clothes, but the logic should be applicable for whatever you decide to wear. Those are some basics on what you can do with your silhouette. I've tried to stay away from stylistic things, but some basic points on that - wear v-neck undershirts so that they don't show and get better looking shoes. If you insist on boots, look into calfskin chukka boots, especially slightly sleeker looking ones. I think that can also help your profile. Loake Kemptons are affordable and maybe something you can start off with. They're not terribly sleek, but they have a nicer profile than the shoes you have on now. You can find slightly used ones for around $75 on ebay.com and ebay.co.uk.

cowsareforeating

Reaction score
in addition to the "squareness" of your body... if you want to fix that, mid thigh length FITTED AND SLIM outerwear that is belted will give your body more angles..

and also greys and textured outerwear is nice, but you'll look cleaner and sharper with solid oxfords -- that is until you figure out exactly what direction you wanna go.

*im having the same issues as you ... work in progress right?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^yeah agreed, coming in this section for advice on how to dress is like going on the society for the blind forum for advice on how to play badmitton

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
Why the **** is there an MC dude giving long drawn out advice in the SWD waywt thread oh well... merry christmas?
Because you guys have people rocking skater shirts, boot tucks, ties with jeans, sailor clothes, lumberjack clothes, $600 ****** peacoats, heritage crap, and women's sweaters.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Thank God we have you, men's clothing messiah, to tell us how to dress in paint-by-numbers form. Hallelujah for on this holy day we are saved.

I like guys like NOBD crossing the divide and posting in here but... ****, really? Okay.

PS Kunk that led to an image of you playing badminton in head to toe Rick with an immovable kunk frown which led in turn to amusement.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
red, please post your idea of nice stuff heard you rant before about this

a forum between mc and sw, what does that mean exactly? only seen one good thing in b&s?

Please post some pics of wtf you're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads