• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
No worries. The guy doing the complaining is a one post poster who claims he didn't get free shipping. He did. He also claims to have not gotten a sweeter deal which is also untrue. He also requested the carry handle to be installed which we did and everybody knows that's an additional 20 buck charge. He basically negated the SF additional savings by having the handle installed.

Then he came here talking trash and basically lied about us to the community which really pissed me off.

Nobody cares about what someone with one post count says anyway, so I wouldn't sweat it. Your reputation on here is stronger than that.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
Great prices on Filson luggage (and free shipping) on this website -- wish I had seen this before:

http://www.hanksclothing.com/Luggage-and-Travel.html

They have the 256 for $168 and the 257 for $208, drop shipped directly from Filson.

edit: thanks for the correction, interlockingny!

Plateau Outdoors just sold me a 257 for $205. Might want to check with them as well.

Also, I just got the bag today. Really happy with it. Does anyone know if it ends up losing its shape, however? It has a much slimmer profile than I expected, and I'd like to keep it this way.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a 257 and need something to carry very small odds and ends in. It's mostly erasers, pens, chapstick, usb memory stick, etc. Does anyone have a recommendation for what I can use to carry those in? The 257 doesn't seem to have any small pouches, and I'd like to avoid getting a cheap pencil bag. Any suggestions?

jbharris88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred
I have a 257 and need something to carry very small odds and ends in. It's mostly erasers, pens, chapstick, usb memory stick, etc. Does anyone have a recommendation for what I can use to carry those in? The 257 doesn't seem to have any small pouches, and I'd like to avoid getting a cheap pencil bag. Any suggestions?

Try looking on amazon for Vaultz Mesh storage bags

Dad Shoes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred
That's actually the exact reason I returned my 257 and went with the 258. The 258 has that extra zippered compartment in the front that not only holds those smaller items, but offers easy access to it all. I find that extra compartment to be really convenient--I can grab the things I need while on the go. Having to stop, unzip the bag and fish through the insides of the 257 was a deal-breaker for me. But to answer your question, when I had the 257, I had a Jack Spade document holder that I used for small items like pens, memory stick, etc. You might also try the zippered bags from A Continuous Lean: http://shop.acontinuouslean.com/prod...ium-zipper-bag.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions so far. The mesh bag worries me since pens can lose the caps, thus spilling ink everywhere. I'd like something that would catch that ink, ideally. So many leather is the best option? ACL's bag also seems to be too thin of a cotton to prevent any serious ink spills. Anyone have any suggestions for very small leather bag that's stylish and can hold pens?

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patagoniacommunity
That's actually the exact reason I returned my 257 and went with the 258. The 258 has that extra zippered compartment in the front that not only holds those smaller items, but offers easy access to it all. I find that extra compartment to be really convenient--I can grab the things I need while on the go. Having to stop, unzip the bag and fish through the insides of the 257 was a deal-breaker for me. But to answer your question, when I had the 257, I had a Jack Spade document holder that I used for small items like pens, memory stick, etc. You might also try the zippered bags from A Continuous Lean: http://shop.acontinuouslean.com/prod...ium-zipper-bag.
I strongly debated between the 257 and the 258 ... and realized that the 258 is simply too big a bag for me. While the organization in the front compartment is nice, I much prefer the size of the 257 eventhough it is unpadded. The 258 will be a great bag for air travel, but for everyday use, I feel it is too big. What I wish Filson would do is to make a lightly padded version of the 257 -- simply adding a layer of padding between the bottom two layers of canvas will do the trick.
ibul4S.jpg

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I wish Filson would do is to make a lightly padded version of the 257 -- simply adding a layer of padding between the bottom two layers of canvas will do the trick.
I agree. I've been wondering if it's possible to have some tailor just put it in on the inside and sew it down.

Georgia

Reaction score
Great prices on Filson luggage (and free shipping) on this website -- wish I had seen this before:

http://www.hanksclothing.com/Luggage-and-Travel.html

They have the 256 for $168 and the 257 for $208, drop shipped directly from Filson.

edit: thanks for the correction, interlockingny!

The 257's are back up to $234 at Hanks. Luckily, my wife got mine for $208 - an excellent Christmas present. I'll post a picture when it arrives.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anybody sent a bag back to Filson for an extra strap?

I have, and love, a zippered tote bag ( http://www.filson.com/products/zippe...bag.70261.html )
but despite the long handles there are times when I want to sling it over my shoulders like a messenger bag. I would like to get some rings added and a bridle strap?

Is this doable?

Alternately, any recs for a bag with a strap that is similar in size to the zippered tote?

s3lam

Reaction score
Thought I would share some pics with you guys. Picked these up last night.
DSC_7917.jpg

DSC_7919.jpg

DSC_7920.jpg

Medium Travel Bag, 257, and Rugged Twill Tote Bag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
Has anybody sent a bag back to Filson for an extra strap?

I have, and love, a zippered tote bag ( http://www.filson.com/products/zippe...bag.70261.html )
but despite the long handles there are times when I want to sling it over my shoulders like a messenger bag. I would like to get some rings added and a bridle strap?

Is this doable?

Alternately, any recs for a bag with a strap that is similar in size to the zippered tote?

If anyone is curious, I received a reply from Filson and they cannot add a shoulder strap to a zippered tote bag.

Anybody have pics of a small duffle or sportsmans bag that they are wearing?

Georgia

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Georgia
The 257's are back up to $234 at Hanks. Luckily, my wife got mine for $208 - an excellent Christmas present. I'll post a picture when it arrives.

(Overdue) Pictures of my new 257:

filsonbox.jpg

filson257inspected.jpg

filson257zipper.jpg

filson257.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads