• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sabino

Slickman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Noticed Scafora travels with a tailor, Sabino, and a shirtmaker, forgot his name. Anybody use Sabino or know his work to be good? How does he compare to Rubinacci? Rubinacci seams to be the most popular tailor out of naples

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Very flashy stuff but he seems to be a good guy. Quite friendly and happy to spend time answering questions. If he would tame his styling a bit, the suits should be good.

Some people here contend that he isn't real bespoke, but I believe he is. Not sure on prices.

The shirt maker is Piccolo. The shirts he wears himself are lovely - super soft collar with a great roll. The couple that he made for me, however, are very stiff.

Scafora is great.

Slickman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea scafora is awsome, waiting for my first fitting, he said he gets all of his suits from sabino, whether or not thats true, I know Scafora told me he charges $3000 USD for suits as a starting point, but at that price point, how much more would a Rubinacci go for, another grand on top?

kcc

Reaction score
^ an additional 1500 will get you into a sportcoat

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slickman
Yea scafora is awsome, waiting for my first fitting, he said he gets all of his suits from sabino, whether or not thats true, I know Scafora told me he charges $3000 USD for suits as a starting point, but at that price point, how much more would a Rubinacci go for, another grand on top?

Rubi is 3,400 GBP or $5,300-$5,500.

banis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Very flashy stuff but he seems to be a good guy. Quite friendly and happy to spend time answering questions. If he would tame his styling a bit, the suits should be good.

Some people here contend that he isn't real bespoke, but I believe he is. Not sure on prices.

The shirt maker is Piccolo. The shirts he wears himself are lovely - super soft collar with a great roll. The couple that he made for me, however, are very stiff.

Scafora is great.

I was debating whether to try Piccolo or Merolla for bespoke shirts. Piccolo could not make for me a trial shirt while I was staying due to a lack of time (it were Friday and Saturday), so I went to Merolla. They managed to make for me a trial shirt on the following day. I should get shirts in 20-th of January and will see how it will turn out. Still, they are a bit more expensive then Piccolo.

Piccolo has really tons of fabrics at their Napoli location. Bolts of Bonfanti, Riva, S.I.C. Tess, Romentino, Testa and some others. Their prices are also very nice. The most expensive Riva will be about 220-230 Euro.
I was quoted 3800 Euro for a sportcoat. Don't know whether it is inclusive VAT or not. Quite pricey.
Damn how does he get away with those prices? Are his suits THAT far above those from other tailors like Solito or even Mina?
He has customers willing to pay those prices. That's the reason.
I don't really think that their suits are THAT different from other tailors. Most probably you pay a large premium for the brand itself. And Mina is not a tailor actually, while Solito is, so maybe it is not correct to compare them.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Damn how does he get away with those prices? Are his suits THAT far above those from other tailors like Solito or even Mina?

I've never tried him so cannot say definitively. However, his customers on this forum appear to be well-educated on their options and continue to (enthusiastically) patronise him. And their stuff looks great.

I don't doubt that he is incrementally better than Mina or Sabino. MR is about the same price as Raphael or Despos. While they're not 2.5x better than Mina, they are certainly better, and imo, worth the extra cash.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by banis
And Mina is not a tailor actually, while Solito is, so maybe it is not correct to compare them.

There are also many other reasons not to compare Mina to Solito. I'm in a Christmas-y mood, so won't say more.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't doubt that he is incrementally better than Mina or Sabino. MR is about the same price as Raphael or Despos. While they're not 2.5x better than Mina, they are certainly better, and imo, worth the extra cash.

Have you discussed your experiences with tailors other than NSM before? I don't recall. If so, a link would be appreciated. Thanks.

Slickman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are also many other reasons not to compare Mina to Solito. I'm in a Christmas-y mood, so won't say more.

Please tell me, I've been happy with her so far, prices are much cheaper than solito for one, and she's here every month, getting in touch with solito is a little hard

Panzeraxe II

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Please tell me, I've been happy with her so far, prices are much cheaper than solito for one, and she's here every month, getting in touch with solito is a little hard

Think that's what ET was saying - he's happy with Mina, less so with Solito.

Viva napoli

Reaction score
Hello , I just came across this thread....
I have been making my suits ,jackets, overcoats and pants with Sabino since 2000.
Pasquale Sabino (the father) is one of the Nicest , most kind people I have ever met. I believe him to be as knowledgeable if not more so than any tailor of his generation.
If you go to Napoli ,since he doesn't come to New York that often anymore and do your fittings with him, you will get a suit as good as anybody in Napoli.
However , they have become a bit commercial (meaning they have a lot of orders in New York) and push goods out. Still for what they charge ,it is one of the best values out there.

Paolo Scafora has been making my shoes for the past 4 years and I just LOVE his work . And a nicer person hard to find.

Salvatore (Piccolo) is truly also a nice man and VERY accommodating . Also very reasonably priced....however , and I hate to say this because I like him....he is the weak link in this formula.
I have over 80 shirts from him and not ONE is right. I have recently started to go to Anna Matuozzo. Let's see.
BTW , the only other shirts I made with a Neapolitan was with Kiton and I can tell you all that it was CRAP...truly CRAP. and they charged me 900 per shirt. Thank God I only made 2...lol

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads