• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Restaurant critic outed by restaurant

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The whole restaurant critic anonymity thing is a bit of a charade that the restaurants and critics both play, but Sherry Irene Virbila, the the LA Times restaurant critic, must have thought it was important as she managed to keep her picture out of the public eye for quite a number of years here in LA. In this new world order of food bloggers and cellphones, she must have resigned herself that someday her picture would eventually get leaked by some blogger. But, I don't think anybody expected that a restaurant would be the one to do it. But, then this new restaurant opened up in Beverly Hills just a few weeks ago- its one of those white people doing Asian food restaurants that serve food that only white people would eat. You can see some pics of their dishes here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/1...1.html#s204826 And, although its a bit early, she and her party stopped by for the first in a series of outings at this restaurant before she can write a review of the place. But, the restaurateurs of this place recognized her and then proceeded to keep her waiting 40 minutes when they had no intention of serving her before they kicked Sherry and her party out. And, as a final humiliation, the restaurant snapped a picture of her that she did not consent to so they could plaster it on tumblr and their website to snatch away from her something she had worked so hard to protect over the years. They also published a manifesto alongside her picture where they justified their actions by basically calling her out as a unqualified beatch whose past reviews hurt their feelings. (Apparently, when she reviewed XIV, she was very harsh about the pastry chef who is the chef/partner of this new restaurant). By publicizing her picture, they called upon other restaurants to use the picture as a tool to recognize her so those other restaurants could also refuse to serve her as well. Maybe, this restaurant believes that all publicity is good. But, to me, it just comes across like the restaurant is desperately trying to hide something. This way, if they get nailed with bad restaurant reviews, they can always claim that those bad reviews were payback by critics who rallied around one of their own and not necessarily a reflection of the food itself. But, by denying themselves the opportunity for a restaurant review, they shot themselves in the foot. When I hear Bevery Hills, Asian food, confusion fusion, and white people cooking asian food about a restaurant, I get pretty skeptical about that restaurant. This restaurant is already behind the count, and news like this just confirms my suspicions. Whereas, if I had read a good restaurant review about the place, I might have given them a fair shot and tried the place.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dick move. Sounds like someone wants to be one of those "bad boy" chefs.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** her.

I agree with the restauranteurs.

Just what EXACTLY qualifies one of these douches' as a "restaurant critic" anyway?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
**** her.

I agree with the restauranteurs.

Just what EXACTLY qualifies one of these douches' as a "restaurant critic" anyway?

What qualifies anyone to critique anything?

cimabue

Reaction score
Those who can't, critique.

So many frustrated artists, so much hostility.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
What qualifies anyone to critique anything?

um, how about co-equals?

How about people who are also chefs, to use restaurant critics as an example.

The ultimate critic is the consumer.

As much as Olive Garden is highly dismissed around this part, where everyone seem to only dine at 3-starred establishments, I've never seen an Olive Garden restaurant that's not constantly packed.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Completely unprofessional behaviour by the restaurant. This is on par with John Daly tweeting the cell phone number of a writer with whom he was upset.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
um, how about co-equals? How about people who are also chefs, to use restaurant critics as an example. The ultimate critic is the consumer. As much as Olive Garden is highly dismissed around this part, where everyone seem to only dine at 3-starred establishments, I've never seen an Olive Garden restaurant that's not constantly packed.
Yes, and Kenneth Cole sells a **** load of shoes. That doesn't mean anything about the quality of Kenneth Cole as a consumer good. It's always funny to read this kind of thing on sites like StyleForvm.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have nothing to say in this thread.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This will be a great dinner topic to discuss in between the complicated photo shoots of each of my courses and my tedious note taking for the followup yelp and egullet reviews.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As much as Olive Garden is highly dismissed around this part, where everyone seem to only dine at 3-starred establishments, I've never seen an Olive Garden restaurant that's not constantly packed.

And Hitler was elected. Just because people like something doesn't mean ****. People here like reading my poasts.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think she's a great food critic (LA is lucky to have a few), and the restauranteur looks like douchebag.

sjg22

Reaction score
Restaurant critics are one of the few reasons I actually still like getting the newspaper (along with film critics). The good ones absolutely bring a valuable opinion and, since I usually can't make 5 trips to a restaurant to really assess it for myself, they effectively edit down the hoard of restaurants in the cities I visit.

This was such a dick move by the restaurant and really serves no purpose other than to screw up this woman's career and to notify the world of their douchieness. If I lived in L.A., I wouldn't eat there. Not only because they seem like dicks, but also because it certainly appears that they're not all that confident in their product. Why else would they go to drastic lengths to avoid having their food professionally reviewed?

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not really shocking considering it was Adam Fleishman from Umami. I like the burger there, but stopped going because the service/waiting at the restaurant is horrible. Sounds like they're douchebags on the institutional level.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads