• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally some luck in NC tonight! Saw my first bit of Gieves & Hawkes - a tie. Sadly it was beyond saving, stains *all* over the front. Someone really wanted to make that one last out the price they paid for it! There were some Gianfranco Ferre ties with it, but nothing else superlative in the entire store - passed on all of it. Couple stores later, at the only SA in the area: 2 Turnbull & Asser ties 1 Hermes tie - missing the back label - anyone have a trashed Hermes they can sell/trade a label off of? Actually serious about this - I'm keeping this tie for myself, and it does kind of need a keeper. EDIT: Upon further research, different colorways have different color tags for the same model tie - this one could go with blue OR red OR black, so essentially any "standard" Hermes label. So, if one of you super-lucky guys is about to pass on a Hermes for some reason not affecting the label, think of me!
laugh.gif
1 Canali pants that will fit me with alteration 1 Made in Italy pants made for Trillion, super 120's, will fit me with alteration, trying to figure out who made them now. Picked these up since I know that store sells Kiton and sells these awesome cotton/cashmere cords, I made the mistake of passing on a pair of those once. EDIT: They're made by Belvest! First I've ever seen! Definitely getting these babies tailored now!
bounce2.gif
All in all, not bad. Here's a photo of the two T&A's and the Hermes. Keeping the Hermes for sure, assuming I can scrounge a label somewhere, and probably the green with dots T&A. Not real sure what to do with the pink/green dots T&A yet... it has one pull I didn't notice in the store, but it's still wearable.
IMG_20101222_232704.jpg

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
decent day
3 j.press sportcoats
sick brooks brothers 3/2 sack suit
awesome slim brooks 3/2 sweater type jacket, looks new
4 or 5 ferragamo ties
shell cordovan ptb (hanover)
some ae park aves
couple rlpl shirts

Some other random stuff I forgot

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hrm, I might start picking up Ferragamo ties, not that I've ever seen more than a handful. I suppose after awhile, the rarefied air of the thrifts Mainy hits up has to get to your head a little!
laugh.gif
Then again, I was definitely not as psyched yesterday about my finds as I would have been even a few months ago. It's amazing how jaded a little success will make one... I think I was more excited on getting home and finding out those pants are Belvest. I wonder what other 'store labels' might be worth picking up... hrm.

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Becoming more selective. I returned a $5 Etro shirt and a $5 Charvert shirt
because I didn't want to mess with trying to get stains out.

Found a huge stock pile of ties, but some were pricey. I did get
a Kiton tie for $16 and a Brioni tie for $22. Kiton sold
fast at $29, Brioni on bay with a lot of watchers.

I passed on 2 Hermes ties $45 each, several Steffano Ricci ties
about the same price and a couple more Brioni's in the $30's range.

I never wear ties.
bigstar[1].gif

Temujin

Reaction score
Found an Andre Claude Canova tie. Not sure what I will do with it. I was just drawn to it, kinda like when someone says a bulldog is cute...

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bally Swiss loafers 7.5 in British tan, almost new, 4 times what shoes used to cost at GW. Will hit B and S. I agree with the pricing sentiments. Whatever is going on.

rose04

Reaction score
I've been reading this thread for a long time now, I guess it's time to post.

Must have been a tie day today, found a Turnbull & Asser, Salvatore Feragamo, Talbott Best of Class, and Prada. The Turnbull & Asser seems particularly nice.

CasmirRadon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rose04
I've been reading this thread for a long time now, I guess it's time to post.

Must have been a tie day today, found a Turnbull & Asser, Salvatore Feragamo, Talbott Best of Class, and Prada. The Turnbull & Asser seems particularly nice.

Welcome to the thread. Nice finds. I know that my woven silk T&A tie is my favorite tie.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having an internet capable phone is crucial for noobie thrifters. Saved me from a couple Tasso Elba shirts that I "thought" I remembered from Barneys.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Made a loop in Nataku's territory yesterday

found absolutely nothing...I did see a pair of destroyed aldens and some shirts that were in absolutely terrible condition (I always wonder about people who spend lots on fashiony marks like thomas pink...and then wear them way past the end of their life...and then donate them)

Well...I did get a nice digital meat thermometer that looks like it had been returned somewhere due to defects...the defect being that the original purchaser couldn't figure out how to put the battery in without destroying it. I fixed it in the store and got a nice unused $25 unit for $2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads