• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I have most of my jeans hemmed so that after a cuff they are 28" inseam, which is just short of no break. But I also keep some jeans longer and wear with a bigger 2" cuff since I think that looks better with certain shoes. The 1/2" sewn down cuffs are meant for boots wear, i find the 1/2" cuff looks a bit out of place with some shoes.

The original idea of having strides cut short was (just like wearing braces) so that they would hang right and not tend to drag on the shoes.

I'm about to order a pair of Sta-Press, and I will be asking 'er indoors to take them up for me just a gnat's whisker.
happy.gif

BarrelMaker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Darksideoftheforce
These types often identify themselves as Nazi 'skinhead.'

But having been a skinhead in Los Angeles California, I've seen gangster types identify themselves as skinheads who look more like cholos than skinheads and indeed were cholo gangsters who for some reason gravitated towards Oi and began combining certain aspects of their gangster culture with that of skinhead fashion. Dickies often worn baggy and a plain white tank top. The only things remotely skinhead about them were the suspenders and the docs and the ocassional bomber jackets.
While not all skins can afford traditional skinhead brands like FP, Ben Shermans, merc brand crombie and harringtons, I agree that a self respecing skinhead should atleast try to look smart and presentable.
If only the average person unfamiliar with the skinhead culture knew just how expensive skinhead fashion really is. Most everyone especially in the US identify skinheads more like this guy, a racist biker with a shaven head and a goatee. WTF? Were goatees even skinhead style?

blaju.jpg

thats my bro lester he shaved me in
tounge.gif

OHT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
The fit was always supposed to be good. I recall when I had a PoW jacket made and it was too roomy I told the tailor to... er... keep it.

laugh.gif

lol I bet his expression went something like this ----->
ffffuuuu.gif

I'm backtracking here, I remember some1 on this thread(I think you or some1 else) said that hard mods/original skinheads would wear tennis shirts(besides Fred Perry). I want to know: Did any of them ever wear/sported Football Jerseys?

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OHT
lol I bet his expression went something like this ----->
ffffuuuu.gif

I'm backtracking here, I remember some1 on this thread(I think you or some1 else) said that hard mods/original skinheads would wear tennis shirts(besides Fred Perry). I want to know: Did any of them ever wear/sported Football Jerseys?

Easy to answer. No.
satisfied.gif

OHT

Reaction score
IMO the guy in the above photo is about as far removed as you can get from being any sort of "skinhead" short of growing his hair long!

Agree. If you look at his back he's actually Hell's Angel. Wtf?!? That wouldn't have worked out too well in your skinhead time
laugh.gif

Just curious, did Hell's Angels in your time wear Nazi symbols? I think it was there in the US Hell's Angels before the late 60s(I could be wrong) so thought I'd ask if maybe you saw them wearing it in the UK.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OHT
Just curious, did Hell's Angels in your time wear Nazi symbols?

To an extent. There was a vogue for wearing ex-Wehrmacht helmets instead of crash-hats, and there was a system of "wing" badges (the eagle perched on the Hackenkreuz) for having gone through certain HA rituals.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dr Huh?
I think that what herzzreh is getting at is would someone who started sporting a short haircut, Doc Martens, and a Fred Perry shirt but who didn't listen to ska or consider themselves to be a skinhead, be seen as a poseur? I guess there might be a fear of being inauthentic, or misappropriation.

maybe if he wore the full range of kit all at once (DMs, fp, MA-1/harrington/denim jacket, grade 1 or 2 crop etc) and WASN'T a skinhead, it'd be a bit of a head scratcher for me. But it's easy to incorporate elements into a smart look that has recognizable elements of skinhead, without being a skinhead. And in that regard I wouldnt look at it as being poseur-y. I remember seeing this guy in the late 80s...walking in DMs, MA-1 bomber, had pins and badges all over his jacket but they were all of new wave bands like The Cure, Smiths etc. Nothing against those bands, I love that **** myself, but it was weird to see him decked out in full skin gear without any recognizable clues that he listened to any sort of skinhead music.
eh.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
The original idea of having strides cut short was (just like wearing braces) so that they would hang right and not tend to drag on the shoes.

I'm about to order a pair of Sta-Press, and I will be asking 'er indoors to take them up for me just a gnat's whisker.
happy.gif

agree, nothing that irks me more than when my strides are a bit too long and break on the top of shoes, even if just a few cunthairs worth.

so where did you decide to get your staprest from?

MrNovember2nd

Reaction score
FYI All: Fred Perry.com Winter Sale went up very recently. Question: Are there any good Skin/Mod blogs? Another question: You can get TIE '86 on DVD now, same for the Shane Meadows BluRay box set - TIE+ Dead Man's Shoes+ Somer's Town. But, they're both European Region coded (I would assume, I only see it for sale on Amazon.co.uk and HMV). Where can an American get such things coded for my region. Is there a way to get around region codes? Thanks!

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
^^ You'd need a dvd player that can play PAL format discs. I got one many years ago and it works great, plays NTSC (american and asia) as well as PAL (euro) without you needing to do anything other than put the disc in. You can probably ebay it for cheap

Darksideoftheforce

Reaction score
Absolutely not!

Neither was organised racism. There was just about the level of racism that you would expect in a cross-section of mainly working-class society. IMO the guy in the above photo is about as far removed as you can get from being any sort of "skinhead" short of growing his hair long!

Couldn't agree more. Unfortunate for most people that is their diluted idea of a skinhead image. IMO no subculture has been so misused and so misunderstood as the skinhead subculture.

OHT

Reaction score
To an extent. There was a vogue for wearing ex-Wehrmacht helmets instead of crash-hats, and there was a system of "wing" badges (the eagle perched on the Hackenkreuz) for having gone through certain HA rituals.

Did anybody(specifically skinheads) think anything of it when they saw HA wearing those symbols?
Also, why didn't skinheads bother to sport football jerseys? Was it simply because it wouldn't go well with their clean cut look?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads