• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mafoofan struggles to buy breast wallet at Hermes . . . arises victorious!

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cakeymakeybakey
So I've stumbled onto a den of boastful dandies with S&M tendencies?
No, that would be SW&D.

cakeymakeybakey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wiimii
No.

It is YOUR bag,

not an Hermès bag.

Hermès simply makes the bag for YOU.

Color me obtuse, but I'm not getting the point you're trying to make here. Could you be more specific and less cryptic please?

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, thanks for enlightening me. I'll take that under advisement.
For a little more enlightment on the
foo.gif
have a gander here:http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...+divots+reeves The nature of
foo.gif
and why there is simply no one else like him. Obtuse, yes, but a forum jewel nonetheless. Also, please understand the level of sarcasm and joking about on these boards is often through the roof, certainly unlike you might find on what PF. If something makes you go "WTF!" realize there might be snark at work.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Also, please understand the level of sarcasm and joking abouton these boards is often through the roof, certainly unlike you might find on what PF. If something makes you go "WTF!" realize there might be snark at work.

Originally Posted by thekunk07
lol, i'd rather party in ed hardy than stroke ******* in rick.

You mean, like your sig?

confused.gif

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose so. I don't think it's snark so much as a clever turn of phrase by our dear Kunk. You do need to know what is meant by "Rick" and why one might be "stroking *********" in it.

I certainly would not exclude myself form "those that snark."

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, the original context of my post is getting totally lost in a "our forum members have fatter wallets than your forum members" pissing contest.

I could really give a **** how much money is won, lost, given away, or lavishly frittered on horological wonders by the dudes here on SF. The point I was trying to make in my post #473 is that none of us should judge a book by its cover. My "tea at Bergdorf's" tale was merely a response to the allegation by one of you that Purse Forum members don't seem to fit the "exclusive" mold. Don't you get it -- there is no mold or type for the people who like to own luxury goods, and that my table of friends probably looked like they could have been meeting for coffee at Dunkin Donuts even though our closets all contain very expensive handbags. I wasn't trying to drop dollar signs, or impress y'all with how much we can afford.

But if you like that kind of pecker-matching, so be it. On tPF, we have women with multi-million dollar closet stashes, people who could buy and sell most of Seoul, and a few Hollywood A-listers. Happy now?

Its not about the money. We are simply superior, see below

Originally Posted by edmorel
rolleyes.gif

Everyone here will look as strapping and handsome as they do now and more importantly, will keep a fresh stockpile of striking 23 year old lasses, even when they are in the 50's-60's. What else would you expect from the masters of the universe that popuate SF?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Are bespoke shops run by Hermes-trained alumni like Duret and April in Paris really all that much cheaper than Hermes?

I tried to order from Duret while in Paris a couple of years ago. They just told me to use their website.

Vintage Leather

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Are bespoke shops run by Hermes-trained alumni like Duret and April in Paris really all that much cheaper than Hermes?

I tried to order from Duret while in Paris a couple of years ago. They just told me to use their website.

Usually, the bespoke shops are about half the price of Hermes. They don't have the advertising overhead and they don't want the prohibitive exclusivity. Of course, they don't necessarily have the resale value - and who knows if they will still be around in 40 years to repair your wallet if it gets damaged?

You might want to talk with Peter Nitz - while his website shows women's evening bags (a high profit and very high visibility item for him) I know he does mens item in exotics and probably domesticated classic leathers. And, he is exclusively bespoke which does make his items far more interesting.

Doxe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wiimii
The truth is, people are often misinformed,

and get possessed by their possessions
confused.gif

(Just a general statement)

This is best epitomized by the discussion re "gemming".

juliette2000

Reaction score
Thanks for the acronym translation.

Vis a vis over/under, I hope you're talking about the wagering term and not the Mr. Jones-Mr. Anderson urban dictionary version of the term...
rolleyes.gif

If we're talking betting, I'm not sure I could give you an over/under, or any kind of spread. The general consensus is that fakes or replicas are simply not done. With good reason. The knockoff industry has been widely reported as carrying too high a price to be socially or morally acceptable -- supporting organized crime, child labor, terrorism, drug trade, and the like. Further, the members of the Hermès subforum in the Purse Forum covet Hermès for a myriad of reasons, not the least of which is the consummate leather and workmanship. Your esteemed mafoofan understood this all too well when he started his quest for the green pebbled calfskin breast wallet. So a fake just won't cut the mustard. It isn't simply about having the name-brand bag as a status object (although you can be sure that is part of it). Everyone isn't as vapid and shallow as the Real Housewives of Atlanta or Beverly Hills, who only know the Birkin and want it because it signifies that they've arrived. Most of those people who want a Birkin don't even know its history or know that there are loads of other gorgeous Hermès bags to be had.

You see, for most of us on the Hermès Purse Forum, it's about actually loving the history, the craft, the gorgeous stitching, and the divine smell that emanates from the superior skins that Hermès uses to make their bags and other leather goods. People get caught up in the minutiae of the details of an Hermès bag, and fakesters don't last long on the forum. They get outed or reported, and ultimately banned.

I mean, I'm sure there are some gals (and guys) out there with replica bags, but they aren't long-time members of the Purse Forum. And they don't come to the forum for the community and cameraderie that the bulk of the members seek.

I have to say, our members are pretty goddamned knowledgable about what makes an Hermès bag authentic. We have a slew of authenticators -- ladies who own numerous bags, with decades of experience in the history of Hermès leather products -- who volunteer their time and expertise to newbies inquiring about this bag and that on eBay and elsewhere that they want to bid on. Fakes are outed rapidement, and lots of people have been saved countless thousands of dollars from the fake peddlers on eBay and Bonanzle. In fact, many of our members are responsible for reporting and shutting down auctions of blatant fakes on eBay.

So in a nutshell, probably the odds are slim.

Hope this helps.

This makes me laugh.

As a long-time member of tPF, there is no doubt that there is a not insignificant number of women who patronize the Hermes sub-forum who are operating under the delusion that because they can plunk down thousands of dollars for a (fictionally) elusive purse with the Hermes name on it....this makes them special and superior....when all that has happened is that they have been suckered in by a marketing strategy. And - as evidenced by some of the tPFer's posts in the SF thread back on tPF - they get their undies in a bunch at even the slightest hint that they are NOT superior just because they can piss away thousands on a bag. Oh, they will deny it until they are blue in the face and mods often delete or edit posts that don't toe the party line.

I know the OP on the SF thread back at tPF started it as a way to make fun of and put down those who dare to have their own opinions about Hermes....but I personally have found that what it did for me was to introduce me to an intelligent - and highly entertaining - group of men who have a refreshing take on such things as Hermes and other so-called luxury goods.

I think I may hang out here for a bit.....

(and, oh yes, counting down to the flaming from the tPF Hermes devotees....)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads