• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do designers take into consideration internet reviews?

Dinky89484

Reaction score
I wonder if designers out there research and read up on what is reviewed online about their products. For example, I've read online a lot about how J Crew's Ludlow Suits have too skinny of a lapel. Do you think J Crew reads this stuff and in turn fixes it for their next season?

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, most writers/reviewers are morons who don't know anything about anything. So I assume the answer is no. But I could be wrong.

Even with something like belletristic fiction, which doesn't move nearly as rapidly as fashion, and which is much more accessible as a creative act, most reviewers don't really know what they're talking about.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
im sure a big company like jcrew has people who do market research. part of that might involve going online, another part might be canvassing malls and the like.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
jcrew go into boutiques and take photos of nice clothing

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dinky89484
I wonder if designers out there research and read up on what is reviewed online about their products. For example, I've read online a lot about how J Crew's Ludlow Suits have too skinny of a lapel. Do you think J Crew reads this stuff and in turn fixes it for their next season?
i would think real designers could care less about what people on the net say about there stuff, less some very select people in the industry. there creating what they feel is fashion and what will move the industry forward. you would be kidding yourself if you think you could appease everyone. retailers like jcrew simply follow the trends and carry what people are buying, obviously, so im sure they pay special attention to current trends and what people are saying about x brand, etc.

Dinky89484

Reaction score
Yeah, the Cynic in me agree with what everyone is saying. I just think it'd be a smart idea to comb through some of the flaws that regular folks call out in their designs. I guess the J Crew thin lapels is a bad example because it's more of a trend thing and J Crew felt they needed to go with what was hot.

My big thing are certain flaws. An example is, Tommy Hilfiger's Trim Fit suit jackets are too long. There are more than one reviews or comments about this online. If their designers knew this, wouldn't they want to fix this for their update in their next collection? Alfani Red and many other brands have their armholes too low on their suits, and there are tons of reviews on this issue as well. If they don't listen to people who are buying their product and commenting on issues, they'll just keep pumping clothes out with the same flaws year after year. But then again...what do I know?

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most designers are bound to the concept of feedback coming from their dealers, not customers. We don't really choose what will be available in stores nor do the designers, the dealer's buyers do. When few dealers order a piece that's some strong feedback that will carry far more weight than the opinions of an Internet user whom hails from a college dorm room somewhere.

Additionally, the fast nature of the fashion industry ensures that results from such feedback will be implemented more quickly than it would in other industries. With new collections coming out twice a year, the product lifetime of pieces is less than 6 months. Compare that to other industries such as automobiles where a totally new generation of a model will only be released every 3 to 4 years.

Thus the risk/consequences of relying on limited feedback when designing clothing is low.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads