• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HorseHide

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiniW
my Alden collection (as far as I'm considered) is now complete

I used to have similar thoughts - WTF was I thinking?
facepalm.gif

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my JGilbert cigar shell Indys, and they are gorgeous. Thanks to everyone who helped me with the sizing issues. I went with an 8E and it works perfect. They did a closed heel with a standard welt and antique edge trim. Looks just like the leffot cigar Indys, just with a closed heel.

I will post pics eventually, but I am out of town.

Oh, and Yenni over at JGilbert is pretty awesome. If you need anything, just give her a holler.

phantomx48

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnnyrich7
Just got my JGilbert cigar shell Indys, and they are gorgeous. Thanks to everyone who helped me with the sizing issues. I went with an 8E and it works perfect. They did a closed heel with a standard welt and antique edge trim. Looks just like the leffot cigar Indys, just with a closed heel.

I will post pics eventually, but I am out of town.

Oh, and Yenni over at JGilbert is pretty awesome. If you need anything, just give her a holler.

+1 on the cigar shell Indy, and Yenni at JGilbert, she is fantastic!

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kraken
I think the last thing I need to know at this point is whether anyone knows if there is a place that sells Aldens in Ottawa/Montreal/Toronto so I can try them on for sizing. I will definatly provide an update once I make a purchase and let you guys know how they hold off to my wear.

Hey man I live just outside of Toronto. It's VERY hard to find Alden products in Ontario. Most of mine have been ordered from the States. However there are options.

"Nomad" in toronto has a small selection of Alden Indys right now...in Chromexcel and Kudu that are good for our crap climate.
http://store.nomadshop.net/collectio...lden-kududkbrn

The "Brooks Brothers" store is another company that has shoes made by Alden that are re-stamped with their logo. However they don't have a boot. Mostly #8 and black cordovan dress shoes.

lastly "Norman Knapp" is in a small town (Listowel) about 2 hours west of Toronto. They don't stock a lot but can order you any of the "standard" Alden shoes/boots.

Hope this helps you.

For the record I have the Chromexcel Indy and they are great in the rain and snow. The smooth sole can be a bit slick on ice though.

cimabue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blue collar
For the record I have the Chromexcel Indy and they are great in the rain and snow. The smooth sole can be a bit slick on ice though.
+1 I am finding the Chromexcels with neocork sole to be fine in the snow and slush. I like that when you're heading back in doors all the snow/salt/slush wipes right off on a mat or whatever, unlike lug soles that only give up some of their detritus after much stamping, etc.

John_

Reaction score
Meant "longwings" but auto-corrected word fits, too!

Bugsy

Reaction score
BACK TO THE KUDUS 404

most of the pictures i have seen read look dark. the leffots pictures show a hint of reddish brown? could any owners confirm the tru color?

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bugsy
BACK TO THE KUDUS 404 most of the pictures i have seen read look dark. the leffots pictures show a hint of reddish brown? could any owners confirm the tru color?
Does this help at all? Far right is the the Kudu boot from Leffot
img0583.jpg

rick

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cimabue
+1

I am finding the Chromexcels with neocork sole to be fine in the snow and slush. I like that when you're heading back in doors all the snow/salt/slush wipes right off on a mat or whatever, unlike lug soles that only give up some of their detritus after much stamping, etc.

are you sure, i sold my indys and bought the ultimate indy with commando sole because i almost killed myself when there was snow or ice on the ground.

enigma77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bugsy
BACK TO THE KUDUS 404

most of the pictures i have seen read look dark. the leffots pictures show a hint of reddish brown? could any owners confirm the tru color?

Dude, Kudu is great. If you're looking for a burly Indy, then Kudu Indys (like LS's Ultimate Indy) are the way to go.

Originally Posted by lagsun

img0583.jpg

Oh nice, did not know Leffot had a plain toe boot in Kudu. I should really drop in there more often.

PeterParker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lagsun
The Kudu in this picture shows a striking resemblance in color to #8 cordovan. According to Leather Soul, the Kudu leather is treated in a similar manner to cordovan so that would seem appropriate.

Suddenly I'm wishing that I had a pair of Kudu Ultimate Indy's...

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PeterParker
The Kudu in this picture shows a striking resemblance in color to #8 cordovan. According to Leather Soul, the Kudu leather is treated in a similar manner to cordovan so that would seem appropriate. Suddenly I'm wishing that I had a pair of Kudu Ultimate Indy's...
The chukka 2nd from the left is #8. BTW, I have 4 Aldens on the Barrie last (tan chukka on Leydon and AoC brown calf wingtip boot not pictured) and all fit a little differently. The #8 chukka and the Leffot kudu boot fit roomiest in the toes.

borderline

Reaction score
Originally Posted by John_
Cordovan longings picked up by The Sartorialist:

http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/...-new-york.html

I can just imagine the Alden founders back in the day having the conversation, "Ok, this color looks like Whiskey, this one like Snuff, and this burgundy one looks exactly like...the number 8!"

Actually, now that I think about it, "8" was probably the number of the racehorse whose butt was used in the first pair of cordovan longwings, so it stuck.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads