• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Culling neckties (New ties added)

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Approved.jpg

Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
If I had your selection of ties to choose from, the first 5 are probably the ONLY ones I would wear, and I don't recall ever seeing them in ANY of your WAYWRN posts.
smile.gif

Looks like someone hasn't been paying attention. All from WAYWRN:

Closeup-15.jpg

Closeup-25.jpg

Closeup-40.jpg

Closeup-17.jpg

Closeup-41.jpg

Closeup-16.jpg

Closeup-23.jpg

Closeup-31.jpg

Closeup-47.jpg

Braces.jpg

Looks like I haven't yet taken any pics of the brown grenadine, so you got me on that one.

Come clean man, you've been holding out on us. All of these posts with the "1980's/Marshall's sales rack/hey look my secretary got me a tie for Xmas" ties were a setup . . .
I wish it were so. Before SF, all my ties came from Men's Wearhouse and JAB. After SF but before WAYWRN, my ties started coming almost exclusively from Nordstrom and Brooks Brothers. I've become more of a Hoberite since I started posting on WAYWRN, and I expect to be forking out the big bucks for Drakes in the near future.

This can only end badly.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
Looks like someone hasn't been paying attention. All from WAYWRN:

Sorry, that wasn't a fair statement since I was away from SF and WAYWRN for the better part of this year. That said, when you get comfortabale with your ties project, you should embark on a "culling shirts" project. Half of those pics you posted would go from 3-4's to 8-9's with some more elegant shirts.
smile.gif

I see so much similarity in what you are doing to what I was doing a couple of years ago. I would say hold off from purchasing any striped shirts for the time being.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Half of those pics you posted would go from 3-4's to 8-9's with some more elegant shirts.
smile.gif

Not to shoot this thread off on a tangent, but help me understand what you mean by "more elegant." All I can glean from what you posted is that you don't think I'm doing well with stripes. Surely, there must be more to it than that.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to shoot this thread off on a tangent, but help me understand what you mean by "more elegant." All I can glean from what you posted is that you don't think I'm doing well with stripes. Surely, there must be more to it than that.

Sure, no problem. I'm guessing from your fondness of the pastels and the stripes that you like to have a little fun with your shirts. The problem is, pastels and bold patterned shirts are very difficult to pull off, and when done poorly, scream cheap Jos A Bank or Men's Warehouse to me.

By elegant, I mean two things: (i) fabric patterns that are less "in your face"--subtler, smaller patterns that might actually read as a pale blue or pink from 25 paces, but will have more detail and character up close (microchecks, small ginghams, closely spaced stripes, plusher textures, tonal qualities etc.), and (ii) higher quality fabrics (although I'm not necessarily criticizing the quality of your shirts because I can't really tell from the pics, just that the patterns and colors don't suggest to me that they would look very luxurious in person).

Those smaller patterns will also serve your solid ties very well.

You might take a spin through the folded up shirt p0rn thread to get some ideas.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might take a spin through the folded up shirt p0rn thread to get some ideas.
Will do, TC. Thanks for elaborating.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NM. Wrong thread. Sorry.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Closeup-17.jpg

Originally Posted by Lightbringer
Which grenadine color from Hober is this? I love the color.
I wish there were a simple answer. Back when I bought this tie, it was called Italian Navy Grenadine #11. Since then, some changes have been made on the Hober grenadine page. Tie #11 is now just called Navy. It may be the same tie, but judging by the other images on that page it appears that #13, Dark Blue, is closer to the color of the tie I purchased.

See for yourself: http://www.samhober.com/grenadine-silk-ties/

Sorry I can't be more help than this. If you contact David Hober, though, he can probably sort it out for you.

Lightbringer

Reaction score
Threadbearer, you are too kind. I'll probably order a swatch set and have a look. You've got a great looking tie though!

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
I can post some of my ties if you'd like.
Ahem.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
puzzled.gif
To add to what TC said, I think shirts are all about the collars. You can wear a shirt with almost any pattern and if it has a great collar, it will look good. Edit: Sorry I missed this:
Please do, and annotate it, if possible. Pics are great; pics with information are even better.
I'll try and put something together soon.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two BB striped knits for your consideration. What do think, boys -- keep or cull?
BBstipedknits.jpg
(Damn! Photobucket keeps "pinking" my images.)

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow! That image really came out pink for some reason. The towel I used as a background is bright white in real life. I'll try to adjust it and repost.

Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Keep. I like those. BTW, Merry Xmas, TB.
Thanks, Spoo, and a very happy holiday to you and to all the Spoos down in Spooville.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads