• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique the fit of my MTM shirt

Reaction score
I just received my first try of a MTM shirt from ModernTailor. I took my best fitting shirt and made a couple modifications in order to come up with these measurements. While I am mostly satisfied, I do think that some changes are in order.

I have three areas of concern:

1. An awful lot of fabric is bunching up where the upper back meets the sleeve. Can I correct this by reducing the armhole size?

2. The pulling of the fabric along the neck/upper back area. Is this because my shoulder measurement is too small?

3. The lay of the fabric from the top two buttons, the placket is pulling away.

I also plan to reduce the waist, hip, and cuff measurements slightly.

ebmk3891

Reaction score
I generally agree with most of your changes although I'm not educated enough from a tailor perspective on what needs to be done.

I also think the sleeves look a little baggy.

ebmk3891

Reaction score
Also - congrats on the shirt. Is that with the promotional deal they have going on?

Reaction score
Yeah, this was the $20 trial shirt. I intend to make the necessary corrections, and then order a swatch book and a "real" shirt.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take in the waist. Lower the armhole measurement. Overall, it's pretty good. Don't try to get a too clean fit on your shirts. They aren't suit jackets, there will always be bunching and folding somewhere or the shirt will be too constricting.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
Everything looks to large to me, including the cuff and neck measurement. It is very difficult to give someone exact adjustments by looking at a photo. Keep tweaking the measurements (all smaller in my opinion) until you get something you like the fit of.

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the feedback everyone. I went ahead and reduced several of the measurements as follows:

neck: -.25
chest: -.35
waist: -1
Hip: -.75
Sleeve: -.5
Bicep: -1
Cuff: -.5
Armhold: -.75

Pending further review I plan on ordering my next shirt tomorrow so it arrives around the time I return back from vacation.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might want to convert your measurements to Centimeters. I think it will be at the very least confusing to specify subtracting .35 inches.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, and get a longer collar next time.

snowjoke

Reaction score
I wouldn't shorten the sleeve if I were you. Nothing worse than sleeves that are too short.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FlamingModerate
Thanks for all of the feedback everyone. I went ahead and reduced several of the measurements as follows:

neck: -.25
chest: -.35
waist: -1
Hip: -.75
Sleeve: -.5
Bicep: -1
Cuff: -.5
Armhold: -.75

Pending further review I plan on ordering my next shirt tomorrow so it arrives around the time I return back from vacation.

now the shirt will fit perfectly?

it is awful!
normally i would add corrective comments, but there is nothing about the fit of this shirt that is right.
your minor changes will not make this shirt any better
good luck

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads