• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A great shirt that matches nothing I own...

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else got this problem?
IMG_1295.JPG
You can see the brown and khaki create this sickening yellow vs brown thing.
IMG_1287.JPG
This one is closer, but I don't like how the stripes are a similar size. The trousers seem a decent match though. Maybe the belt creates enough separation to my eyes. I may use this option in a pinch.
IMG_1298.JPG
Nobody needs to wear eleven colors.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is not a great shirt, and it certainly shouldn't ever be worn with a black tie.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
You have no idea.
laugh.gif

Dressing well is a real battle for a fat-necked wide-shouldered man living in Seoul where everybody is svelt and things like wool and leather are next to impossible to find on an English Teacher's budget. I'm kinda playing catch up these days. I never cared at all about what I wore til I was 25 or so and noticed the better dressed people at work caught less ****. Thus far the change has been working out well for me.

As for the black tie not being perfect, that's exactly my point. I'm having a bear of a time finding anything in my arsenal that matches this shirt. I'm thinking my bias for warm colors is biting me here.

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to get yelled down but navy suit and navy (pin dot) tie?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
Dressing well is a real battle for a fat-necked wide-shouldered man living in Seoul where everybody is svelt and things like wool and leather are next to impossible to find on an English Teacher's budget. I'm kinda playing catch up these days. I never cared at all about what I wore til I was 25 or so and noticed the better dressed people at work caught less ****. Thus far the change has been working out well for me.

As for the black tie not being perfect, that's exactly my point. I'm having a bear of a time finding anything in my arsenal that matches this shirt. I'm thinking my bias for warm colors is biting me here.

I think a member Aeglus is a teacher is Seoul as well. I think he is a great dresser. You should look at some of his posts.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Let me give you a piece of advice about shirts that took me several years and many hundreds (thousands?) of dollars to learn. If you take this advice, you will have bypassed a long and winding road, with false comforts concealing despair around every corner.

Wear blue shirts. Pretty much always.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Szeph el ratón

Strangely enough, I have nothing in Navy. Next time I'm out shopping I'll look into it though. All the stuff I've seen here in Seoul in Navy has a sheen to it.

In case the black tie was distracting people too much, I swapped it for something brown.
IMG_1301.JPG

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
Strangely enough, I have nothing in Navy. Next time I'm out shopping I'll look into it though. All the stuff I've seen here in Seoul in Navy has a sheen to it.

In case the black tie was distracting people too much, I swapped it for something brown.
IMG_1301.JPG

Try a charcoal tie, slightly lighter than the suit.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Let me give you a piece of advice about shirts that took me several years and many hundreds (thousands?) of dollars to learn. If you take this advice, you will have bypassed a long and winding road, with false comforts concealing despair around every corner.

Wear white shirts. Pretty much always.

FTFY

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Szeph el ratón

This is what I was thinking too, it probably still won't look great though. A brown shirt is just going to be very hard to match. With brown stuff it looks too matchy and with most other stuff it clashes, which is why navy and maybe charcoal are probably your best bet.

Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
FTFY

Imo, you're both right. You should start with both white and blue, then move onto combination of blue and white (stripes, gingham, etc). Then you can branch into other light colours - pink, purple, lilac, yellow, orange (orange gingham is a particular favourite of mine).

Brown though, is not really a colour one will ever need a shirt in, and I don't find this particular shirt 'great' enough to go to the effort of forcing it.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Brown though, is not really a colour one will ever need a shirt in, and I don't find this particular shirt 'great' enough to go to the effort of forcing it.

Well in any case, it dresses down well with some dark jeans, so all is not lost. As for white and blue shirts, I've got em and they work quite nicely with that suit. I'm just trying to branch out of little. Looked into that Aeglus guy. Looks pretty sharp, but he does have the advantage of being properly proportioned for Korean shopping. I spent all day at the dept store the other day and literally not one shirt could button around my neck. When I check the show stores, nothing is big enough for my feet. I suppose I'll have to make a shopping trip back to the US.

The strange thing is, I don't feel monstrously fat...

Sazerac

Reaction score
Wonder how this would work with, say, reddish-brown -- something more red than brown, redder than burgundy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 71 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 19 9.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 34 17.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 33 17.0%

Forum statistics

Threads