• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are these ties too gimmicky?

chrishavard

Reaction score
1 & 2 are okay if you're over 40. The paisley reminds me of any lawyer advertisement, a bit to busy for my taste anyway.

3 & 4 would go great without the suit jacket. The blue and brown pairs nicely with the shirt in the photo, but I would love to see the red and violet tie with a dark grey pinstriped shirt.

CH*

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cioni2k
The blue paisley one I dont mind at all, matches nice with your suit picture.
Tie #2 is ugly, brown + turquoise just looks bad.

actually, i think brown and blue go very well together. blue by itself is often boring, and brown by itself can end up not going together with much else. together, they can make a great pairing -- muted, yet interesting -- especially with a mid-grey or light grey suit.

the only thing i'd change would be the balance of brown and blue. a bit too much brown for my taste. still nice, though.

Originally Posted by harry2quinn
See, the 'burn' posts always piss me off. Not only do you not offer a reason, that's a really pissy way to phrase your dislike for an article of clothing.

Try to acknowledge that there are different tastes than yours. I love #1, like #2 and the brown knit, and think the red is a little boring (esp with the navy suit pairing you have - looks too politician).

Now PKL - am I going to tell him to burn #4? No. See?

+1 on everything harry said.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
Ah, but will you also pay the postage? (Just kidding, b-man. I like those ties.)

As I am offering you service, naturally you would have to pay for postage. But since its the season of giving with Hanukkah just a couple of weeks ago and Christmas looming, I will pay for the postage as my gift to you.
sly.gif

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm very picky about paisleys. I think most are crap, but on rare occasions there are some very nice ones. I think #1 is quite good, #2 pretty good. I wouldn't mind wearing either.

I sell a lot of #3 and not as many of #4. I rather like #4 and think it's underrated. Your photo of it is not as good as of #3.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All woven paisley ties should be burnt. The blue/brown knit is great, the other one just nice but somewhat gimmicky.

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I like paisley ties but am quite picky when it comes to their patterns. I don't particularly like the patterns of the one's that you own but I think that you executed them very well. In my opinion you seem to be pairing everything just fine, even the politician look can be okay once in a while. I would say keep them all and continue to wear them just how you are.

jdldore

Reaction score
I love the Kent Wang bicolor knit ties. I have one in pink and burgundy. I wear it on warmer Fridays in the spring and summer. I have to say that I think the brown tie looks especially good next to that suit.

I also like your composition choices wrt 1 and 2. I am not a big fan of aqua and think large paisley ties often look quite loud, but you have done a great job of turning down the volume. In all, very sharp.

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
All woven paisley ties should be burnt. The blue/brown knit is great, the other one just nice but somewhat gimmicky.

See, the 'burn' posts always piss me off. Not only do you not offer a reason, that's a really pissy way to phrase your dislike for an article of clothing.

Try to acknowledge that there are different tastes than yours.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
i like em. hard to go wrong with anything from kent.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by P-K-L

Try to acknowledge that there are different tastes than yours.

OK, fair enough. Here's the reasoning: paisley was created as a printed pattern (ancient madder etc.), so the sheen of woven silk just doesn't suit it in my eye. It looks like a brocade, and you wouldn't wear a brocade tie, would you?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i like 3, 4 not so much, not hot about the colors in 2, and 1, as mentioned by spoo not enough going on with the paisley, but i wouldnt call any of them gimmicky, no reason to trash them

D Yizz

Reaction score
#3 is hideous. Send it to me and I'll dispose of it accordingly.....

....to my desire of buying one since I saw it on KW's website.
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads