• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Express Suits - The Good, The Bad, and Everything Else In Between

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
(Recognizing that this is all opinion) That may be worse-it's hard for me to tell from the small picture.

Black and maroon shirts should be reserved for nightclubs. Particularly the cheesy ones at that.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe
Natural argument is if you bought decent shirts they wouldn't wear out so thin. I had a friend in school who only bought Express dress shirts and he would wear out the elbows in months. They were truly horrible.

You may feel this way, and that's fine, but most here will disagree. I put to you a litmus test. How do you find this:

zti147tt8oye41tz.jpg

Tacky, looks like a high school jock going to homecoming.

gotlighters

Reaction score
stay away from express dress shirts if you wear them regularly. they just don't last in the wash.

I own 3 Express suits that I wear to work and I have to say that their suits are not too bad. The pants you do have to slim but I do that with every pair I own anyway. They're worth it w/ their 30% discounts and extra coupons. I'd say away from the wool/spandex blend though.

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Octoberfile
I go through dress shirts quick .

There is nothing that you are doing that is making you go through dress shirts quickly. If you bought higher quality dress shirts, then they would last a lot longer. Plain and simple.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Their dress shirts are cotton, not spandex. Also, I go through dress shirts quick and Express' slim fit shirts are slim and relatively inexpensive. As far as quality goes? You get what you pay for. At regular price, maybe not a great buy, but Express' dress shirts are always on sale. For the above average (or average) height, skinny-athletic build guy, Express' shirt ain't bad for the dough.

When you buy garbage it doesn't last very long. That's why it's garbage.

JG000

Reaction score
On the other hand, Express has some really great slim fit shirts and with some coupons, you can grab them really cheap.

+1

Dinky89484

Reaction score
I will say I own about 5 Express Skinny Ties. I think their tie patterns are pretty legit.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their dress shirts are cotton, not spandex. Also, I go through dress shirts quick and Express' slim fit shirts are slim and relatively inexpensive. As far as quality goes? You get what you pay for. At regular price, maybe not a great buy, but Express' dress shirts are always on sale. For the above average (or average) height, skinny-athletic build guy, Express' shirt ain't bad for the dough.

You really need to save your money and buy a good supina shirt. My new favorite is BB Black Fleece. Wait for a sale and pick up one of those, you will be hooked. Those things are thicker than my 1500 threadcount sheets and they just get softer with wear and washing.

I picked up my first one in their sale section and I liked it so much that I went and bought another at full price--truely shocking for me.

Gwarg

Reaction score
There is a positive correlation between number of posts and a dislike for express.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks Express sells good "dress" (I use this term loosely) shirts, clearly hasn't tried anything else. I used to wear their MX shirts before I knew any better, and they are by far the crappiest shirts I have ever worn. You can get a Merona shirt at Target that will be higher quality and will last longer than anything from Express. If you want a good entry-level dress shirt at a decent price, you're much better off trying Charles Tyrwhitt or TM Lewin, which both have frequent sales.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dinky89484
I did a bunch of searches on this forum for info on Express Suits but came up empty. Anyone with feedback on Express Suits? All opinions welcomed. Thanks in advance!

I'll pile on here and say to avoid anything Express. I've owned one suit, three shirts, and a tie. The suit is just a plain black suit I bought for $30 from Gabriel Bros, the shirts were between $20-30. I gave the shirts to Goodwill because they wrinkle like nothing I've ever seen and generally just felt and looked cheap. The suit wouldn't have been awful for $30, but I had to sink another $70 into tailoring. At $100, Express suits are overpriced. Cut is not awful, but fabric and construction is on par with what you'd find at JC Penney's. Not even Macy's or Men's Wearhouse quality. The only time my Express suit gets pulled out of the closet is for funerals.

aphextwin07

Reaction score
I did a bunch of searches on this forum for info on Express Suits but came up empty. Anyone with feedback on Express Suits? All opinions welcomed. Thanks in advance!

express and suits in the same sentence sounds like a recipe for failure.

rgoldstein

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoMediaMan-27
There is nothing that you are doing that is making you go through dress shirts quickly. If you bought higher quality dress shirts, then they would last a lot longer. Plain and simple.

+1

Also, don't their dress shirts only come in S, M, L, etc?

How is that a dress shirt?

JG000

Reaction score
I will say I own about 5 Express Skinny Ties. I think their tie patterns are pretty legit.
Agreed. Love their ties. They rolled out some wool neckwear this season
Originally Posted by otoklucu
Zara and H&M have a much higher standard in fabric and garment manufacturing.. These companies are fashion where Express is about profit & not quality..
Oh please. Cut the rhetoric. Maybe Express employs more cost-cutting measures, but to imply one store is strictly for profit while the other two are a charity is asinine.

Jay

Reaction score
When I was 20 (2005), Express 1MX shirts were often on sale for $20 and even for that price I think they are subpar. The 1MX shirts should be avoided because they wear out quickly, but their broadcloth shirts hold up much better. I also had an Express grey suit jacket (before I knew the difference between an orphaned jacket and an odd jacket) that I got on clearance for about $60 and for the price it was okay as well (for a person in their very early 20s). At 25, however, I do not and would not wear Express.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads