• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

True Grit is Pretty Awesome

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm going to see both True Grit and Tron and won't apologize for or justify wanting to see either.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
I'm going to see both True Grit and Tron and won't apologize for or justify wanting to see either.

Phillistine

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher

send me the money that you are spending on Tron, I'll send you a vid of me and some friends playing frisbee in the dark wearing glow in the dark pj's. You'll be more entertained.

limping_decorum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so does matt damon sound like this through out the movie?
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
send me the money that you are spending on Tron, I'll send you a vid of me and some friends playing frisbee in the dark wearing glow in the dark pj's. You'll be more entertained.

play some daft punk in the back ground and I'm in!
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif

i10casual

Reaction score
Nice! We got some clothing in on the extras for this movie. A friend of mine owns the ranch they did a lot of scenes on and we donated (read-sale at below wholeslae)clothing to his ranch hands that were extras. Can't wait to see it!

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Also rent Seabiscuit if you want more Bridges acting quality and a great story.

uh, Crazy Heart. That one he got a little statue for earlier this year.

The Big Lebowski

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Saw this movie today with my boys, then brought them home and forced them to sit through the original on TV. It's really hard to compare the two. The film making and acting in the new version is WAY ahead of the original.

The Coen brothers are geniuses. The acting is much better in the newer version. John Wayne won the Oscar for his performance, but I Jeff Bridges flat leaves it all on the field. Absolutely great.

I'll probably try to go back to see it again this weekend.

As a side note, my dad took us to see the original on the day it came out in 1969 and now I saw the Coen version on opening day as well. I believe that it was the first "grown up" movie that I saw as a kid. I was 8 or 9 at the time.

IB "cool story bro".

Blackfyre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
awesome tale brah

no seriously, i just saw it as well thought it was excellent. i was wondering was the original as funny? i know it was dealing with a serious topic, but it was also damn funny.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackfyre
awesome tale brah

no seriously, i just saw it as well thought it was excellent. i was wondering was the original as funny? i know it was dealing with a serious topic, but it was also damn funny.

Not really. A couple of giggles, that's it. The new version had me laughing in a number of places.

Blackfyre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Not really. A couple of giggles, that's it. The new version had me laughing in a number of places.

Yeah, and almost every single character said or did something funny at one point or another in the movie. I really enjoyed it solid acting all the way around, good pacing, good story. Definitely in my top five for the year.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
I loved the original. Obviously not for the acting. The writing was top notch. I just checked out the trailer and from that it seems they followed closely to the original. too many great lines to list. It looks like they cast a good mattie.

Will get off ****** and go see this one.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackfyre
Yeah, and almost every single character said or did something funny at one point or another in the movie. I really enjoyed it solid acting all the way around, good pacing, good story. Definitely in my top five for the year.

I saw The King's Speech last night and True Grit today. Both are in my top five. They might be my top two, but I'd need to think about it.

It was interesting watching both versions of True Grit in the same day. There are sections of both movies that are verbatim the same, some where the lines are the same, but spoken by different people, some where the thrust is the same but there are obvious differences in the plot and then some parts (including the ending) are COMPLETELY different.

I had forgotten that the original had Robert Duvall (as Ned Pepper) and Dennis Hopper.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads