• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
is there anything worse than a soggy delicatessen?

it only started flooding when I was already done, i guess they had the city dredge it yesterday. worked for a bit.

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phoenixrecon
what are some good vintage shops in LA... looking for vintage MC mostly but anything will do.

Originally Posted by poly800rock
I went to standard issue yesterday in jtown, on 1st. amazing place. really good deal on some leathers ($150ish) and dude is just plain awesome. boots aplenty as well. lots of vintage t's (a bit expensive) he has his own house line as well which he makes in japan of natural indigo. he sources those to craft he said. I picked up a winter watch cap.

+1 on Standard Issue - amazing shop and the owner is a cool-ass dude. I don't think you'll find any MC there though...it seems to veer towards a more military style.

For vintage MC, you might have better luck at Jake Vintage (4644 Hollywood Blvd, in the Los Feliz area).

But if you do head to Standard Issue, I suppose you can check out Raggedy Threads in the area as well (2 locations - one in Little Tokyo, the other in the Arts District)

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Luggage was pretty damn good. I can see why Get Smart didn't want to hype it too much as it's not "the best" but it's still damn good.

Forgot how good the wings at Hot Wings Cafe were. Hit the spot, as did The Fix today. Where ya at, PG2G?

poly, let's hit it Friday.

oisin

Reaction score
anyone been to rogers room on la cienega? what's the vibe? how are the cocktails? how fancy are people dressed there? taking someone there tomorrow and trying to get a sense of the place and what to wear.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had Langer's yesterday and ate it in the park nearby. Delicious, wish there was more russian dressing on it though. I would go here pretty often if it wasn't $16.

ThomSquared

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oisin
anyone been to rogers room on la cienega? what's the vibe? how are the cocktails? how fancy are people dressed there? taking someone there tomorrow and trying to get a sense of the place and what to wear.

Think of a trendy/Hollywood club vibe trying to be a speak easy, that's pretty much what it is. Really annoying people and if Damian isn't there to make the drinks your getting half assed concoctions of liquor. Don't expect much on those ends, but it is a really great place to score some tail every now and again.

Also, get there fairly early, have some girls with you, or be ready to slip Jason at the door some $$$ to get in.

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone read about the Adria/elBulli, Andres panel at SBE last night?
Andres gave umami a shoutout.

On that note, anyone doing dineLA?
Wanted to try bazaar and spago, though not sure if bazaars dine LA menu is typically worthwhile. Heard spagos is the best dinela value.

oisin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThomSquared
Think of a trendy/Hollywood club vibe trying to be a speak easy, that's pretty much what it is. Really annoying people and if Damian isn't there to make the drinks your getting half assed concoctions of liquor. Don't expect much on those ends, but it is a really great place to score some tail every now and again.

Also, get there fairly early, have some girls with you, or be ready to slip Jason at the door some $$$ to get in.

hrmmm. does not bode well for my date tonight. Thanks for the heads up. Maybe i should reconsider locations.

Was just up in San Francisco. So much more cool **** there than LA, I feel like. Maybe I just need to live farther east in LA.

Walking Man

Reaction score
I'm thinking of trying Julienne tomorrow is San Marino. My question is what should I try other than the creme brulee french toast? Also, are there any stores or other places I should check out in the surrounding areas?

ThomSquared

Reaction score
Have any of you SF Angelenos ever hit up Covell Wine Bar on Hollywood and Vermont?

Same question goes for Forage in Silverlake?

If you have been to either please give me a little review, it would be greatly appreciated as I plan on going to both at some point in the near future and would like some thoughts from the experts as opposed to some intolerable Yelp review.

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThomSquared
Have any of you SF Angelenos ever hit up Covell Wine Bar on Hollywood and Vermont?

Same question goes for Forage in Silverlake?

If you have been to either please give me a little review, it would be greatly appreciated as I plan on going to both at some point in the near future and would like some thoughts from the experts as opposed to some intolerable Yelp review.

I stopped by forage and picked up a sandwich to go - I was pretty unimpressed. However, I don't really think I approached the place in the way I was supposed to, mostly because I didn't have the time.

I think the setup is more deli style, pick your protein and sides.

The sandwich wasn't bad by any means, I had just heard great things and it wasn't anything special IMO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads