• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was your starting salary (approx.)?

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
k.. you didn't say wall st. though. :p Out of curiosity, what's the work environment like for a coder there?
It varies greatly depending on what job you have and what business unit you support. If you are on the trading floor supporting equities guys, it's very fast paced and high pressure - lots of people yelling at/around you. If you support sales, it's much more laid back, more like other corporate IT gigs, like IBM or whatever. If there's a core technology or platform group, you'll probably find a bunch of super-nerds there. Depending on what business you support, you may or may not have to talk with users a lot. Some of them are very professional and some of them ask you to some down to the floor to fix their mouse and stuff. FWIW Software Engineers graduating from my program in college reported an average starting salary of 75k, which is why I felt like I was being lowballed at the time.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
k.. you didn't say wall st. or i missed it. :p Out of curiosity, what's the work environment like for a coder there?
He said it in a differerent career-based thread. Memory skillz ftw.

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Is that what a union pilot at a main airline makes? You wanted to pilot a regional jet, right? I saw a Michael Moore movie (I believe it was Capitalism) about how those guys make 25-30K and are massively overworked.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh

But of course I was the Dean of Princeton Law School
smile.gif

I thought it didn't exist.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dhc905
^^ Is that what a union pilot at a main airline makes? You wanted to pilot a regional jet, right? I saw a Michael Moore movie (I believe it was Capitalism) about how those guys make 25-30K and are massively overworked.
First year at a regional you make about 20k the next few years 30-45. Once you make captain its around 50ish then on up from there. Main line first officers have low pay (about 60k) first year then close to 100ish after 3yrs or so. Its very bad pay to start but there are still pilots who make over 200k a year, granted they're about to retire and have been at that airline for 30+yrs. As far as work rules go you are guaranteed a minimum 11 days off as a regional FO, but you will def have some very long work days, short overnights, and be very tired. My friend has been at a regional for 3yrs makes mid 30s with 15 days a month off. He could pick up and extra flight or 2 a month and clear 40k if he wanted to. Oh and the guys in that movie who said they were living off of food stamps were probably embry riddle graduates that have 200k in student loans.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biggskip
If you want to be a player be a lawyer, an accountant, or a corporate banker (not even necessarily an investment banker). You build a ton of connections, your work will always be in demand (even during down times) and you will almost always make a ton of money.
There are plenty of unemployed lawyers with gigantic law school debt that would like a word with you. If you want to make good dough, become a dentist. Those guys can rake it in. My first job out of college (1994) was as a courier for a title insurance company. I don't remember what my salary was, I am sure it was something like $10/hr. But I met my wife there, so it paid off anyways.

trader

Reaction score
1000 a month in 2006-7, teaching english in thailand. i lived like a king though. barely had to work and lived in a hotel on the beach

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Once my fixed expenses are accounted for, I would have around $800/mo. in discretionary dough. That doesn't seem like a lot, but I'd be living in a city and thus wouldn't be driving my car daily...so really, food and entertainment are the big things there. I think that's doable on $800. But I really want to save money and that's going to be a struggle.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Dude, don't be such a *****. You're making 33k in a city with a very low cost of living. If you can't find a way to make that work without feeling sorry for yourself, that's pathetic.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Dude, don't be such a *****. You're making 33k in a city with a very low cost of living. If you can't find a way to make that work without feeling sorry for yourself, that's pathetic.
I know. I just wanna be rich!
frown.gif

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pilot
First year at a regional you make about 20k the next few years 30-45. Once you make captain its around 50ish then on up from there. Main line first officers have low pay (about 60k) first year then close to 100ish after 3yrs or so. Its very bad pay to start but there are still pilots who make over 200k a year, granted they're about to retire and have been at that airline for 30+yrs.

As far as work rules go you are guaranteed a minimum 11 days off as a regional FO, but you will def have some very long work days, short overnights, and be very tired. My friend has been at a regional for 3yrs makes mid 30s with 15 days a month off. He could pick up and extra flight or 2 a month and clear 40k if he wanted to.

Oh and the guys in that movie who said they were living off of food stamps were probably embry riddle graduates that have 200k in student loans.

I'm sure these guys love to fly, but I'd really prefer the guy flying the plane I'm in to be paid adequately.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$45k in 2007. I have since moved up one tax bracket.
Originally Posted by Connemara
Once my fixed expenses are accounted for, I would have around $800/mo. in discretionary dough. That doesn't seem like a lot, but I'd be living in a city and thus wouldn't be driving my car daily...so really, food and entertainment are the big things there. I think that's doable on $800. But I really want to save money and that's going to be a struggle.
That's not that bad man. $800 a month in disposable coming out of school ain't bad. I think I had less than that starting out, thanks to student debt, credit card bills and rent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads