• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which RTW brands have a low buttoning point ?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

I prefer the buttoning point on my jackets to be quite low. For example RLBL has a relatively low buttoning point while Isaia IMO has a high buttoning point.

Which RTW brands have a low buttoning point ?

Best regards and thanks for your replies.

Matt S

Reaction score
2010 is the wrong year for low-buttoning points. Take a time machine to 1990 and you'd be in heaven. The problem back then was that not only was the button stance low but so was everything else. I would love to see more suits with a low button stance.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
hickey freeman
zegna (often)
armani / armani collezioni (often)
brooks (often)
canali (sometimes)
varvatos (sometimes)

in other words, the SF-favored brands do not do low these days. all of the above brands are either competent, mid-priced brands (e.g., brooks) or conservative, upper-mid-range brands (armani, canali). varvatos, and RLBL, are of course exceptions.

i believe the shift towards higher-buttoning points is not only a stylistic trend, but also a reflection of the fact that older, out-of-shape people, as a proportion of the suit-buying public, has declined, and there are more young, in-shape customers who aren't willing to just buy any old lowest-common-denominator suit - they want something that fits. mens' clothing, in general, has become more close-fitting than it used to be. a higher button point tends to be quite unforgiving of a gut; a lower button point is a necessity if you have one.

(note, i'm not saying that lower-button-point suits won't work if you're fit... but the typical lower-buttoning suit will typically come accompanied by heavier shoulder padding, a longer coat body, larger armholes, etc. -- all things that favor the older, less fit buyer. there are, of course, exceptions (e.g., RLBL as you mentioned, and varvatos, which will also be very slim-cut.))

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OttoSkadelig
higher button point tends to be quite unforgiving of a gut; a lower button point is a necessity if you have one.

Wouldn't a higher buttoning point move things above the gut being more forgiving?

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't tried anything from the current season but would agree with Otto that some Zegna does lean towards a lower BP.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
Wouldn't a higher buttoning point move things above the gut being more forgiving?

are you suggesting that the button point be at that little crevice in between the moobs and the gut?

i think that would look quite wonderful.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
are you suggesting that the button point be at that little crevice in between the moobs and the gut?

Enhances the Golden ratio.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ya. The other option of a lower button point is to just have a tent. Like a circus.

I can't imagine how a lower button point is a benefit for the walmart shoppers of the world.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads