• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Changing jobs/cities?

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
I may have an opportunity to change companies and cities. Currently, I'm very happy in my job but I'm not really happy in the city where I am. All my friends are in New York and that is ultimately where I want to be.

I may have an opportunity to move to NY in the very near future to take up a very similar role at a better firm. But to be honest, aside from being in New York and at a better firm, I see little upside in the job itself -- I find it hard to believe that my current job satisfaction will be exceeded (given how satisfied I am now), or that my pay will be exceeded (even though the firm is better, my current firm is known for paying top dollar). On top of that, there's the trepidation of leaving co-workers who I have known for over a year, and who trust me, for a completely new group whose respect and friendship I need to earn from scratch.

The wrinkle is that I don't really want to be in my current role/group in the medium term anyways, and by moving to NYC and to a better firm, I think I set myself up better for what I *want* to do in the next 5 years. However, the new role is slightly more specialized, and thus the possibility exists that the specialization actually pushes me a little further away from my ultimate goals. To be honest, I'm not sure of the effect.

Can anyone offer advice?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Does your existing firm have a NY office and options to move up and over in future?

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
Does your existing firm have a NY office and options to move up and over in future?
Yes...my ideal plan would be to get an offer in hand at this new job, then tell my current boss that things here aren't working out for me and I'd be happier in NY, not mentioning the job offer unless as a last resort....problem is, my current firm's NY office isn't nearly as strong as it is here, so if I switched within the firm to NY, I'd also want to switch roles (to a stronger group more aligned with my long-term goals).

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
I may have an opportunity to change companies and cities. Currently, I'm very happy in my job but I'm not really happy in the city where I am. All my friends are in New York and that is ultimately where I want to be.

I may have an opportunity to move to NY in the very near future to take up a very similar role at a better firm. But to be honest, aside from being in New York and at a better firm, I see little upside in the job itself -- I find it hard to believe that my current job satisfaction will be exceeded (given how satisfied I am now), or that my pay will be exceeded (even though the firm is better, my current firm is known for paying top dollar). On top of that, there's the trepidation of leaving co-workers who I have known for over a year, and who trust me, for a completely new group whose respect and friendship I need to earn from scratch.

The wrinkle is that I don't really want to be in my current role/group in the medium term anyways, and by moving to NYC and to a better firm, I think I set myself up better for what I *want* to do in the next 5 years. However, the new role is slightly more specialized, and thus the possibility exists that the specialization actually pushes me a little further away from my ultimate goals. To be honest, I'm not sure of the effect.

Can anyone offer advice?

All I can say to this is beware, as it could potentially limit your growth outside of that specialty in the future. That said, with specialization comes benefits, and your ultimate goals could change. Sounds to me like you don't have a compelling reason to move on just yet.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
problem is, my current firm's NY office isn't nearly as strong as it is here, so if I switched within the firm to NY, I'd also want to switch roles (to a stronger group more aligned with my long-term goals).

does that make for an opportunity to be the person behind the strengthening of that part of the firm in NY?

Note that as I post this I have no idea if you are Deputy CEO or intern....

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Haven't you just graduated within the last year? Seems early to jump ship, especially if you're being well compensated and being given meaningful work, which I think you've hinted that you are. I'm not in your field but i think my inclination would be to stick it out until the MBA. Do your MBA and then move to NY. IB analysts are still doing MBAs after 2-3 years right? So... do another year or whatever.

countcount

Reaction score
Where do you live currently? That would be a serious factor in making a this or that decision.

areyounoob

Reaction score
I would pass on that. Try making new friends, etc.
I know it's tough to leave friends especially when you're older and you developed such a strong bond with them that you may or may not find with other people.
Just try opening up more to your coworkers. And you might not find the same stable position you're at right now in terms of money, and peace of mind. When you move out east you'd need to prove yourself once again, adapt to the environment, and on top of that you're going to have to spend time with your friends(which seems like a priority of yours).

Try looking at it in a different light. Maybe it's a good thing that you and your friends are so far. Maybe its time to start fresh. And when the time comes when you want to visit your friends, you can visit the east knowing you have people to go to.

We're getting older, and although we want to hold on to friendships and things dear to us, sometimes we gotta let go and move on. But again, it's all your preference.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads