• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by softy
B67xR.jpg

CHECK IT

JUST STRAIGHTEN OUT THE SLOUCH AND YOURE GOLDEN BABY
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

hos will be throwing themselves at you
with current look all u gonna get is koopa troopas

*cropped bust
*brightened
******* PS skills to make cardigan navy
*adhered cardigan collar to shirt collar

LOL!!!!

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by softy
yo yoyo wassap wasaaaap SVB

the glasses actually look really good on you. but it starts to disintegrate from the waist down. cardigan is too slim -- look at how it's pulling away at the neck there. remember what we discussed? you need to cloak your slimness in a bit of volume. it will make you look 1000x more bitchin and confident. with the new glasses and cutaway collar, you look like you're about to knock some heads together and have a power lunch or two. but then this cardigan looks weird and juvenile. seriously, you would do better in some rakish suits, slight shoulder padding to punch up your silhouette, keep the glasses (they seem to add some weight to your ovoid face and draw it out horizontally).

but then man oh man what is this disaster on the bottom? looks like carpenter pants and super mario shoes. seriously, there seems to be some inner conflict where you want to mix it up with SWD and MC, but why oh why would you be wearing a spread collar and tie with some workwear ****? corny 2 tha max.

just incinerate everything from the waist down, get some slacks, then maybe a darker color cardigan with a bit more room. and don't button it all up, just leave it open and askew.

TRUST ME ON THIS

haha, yeah... ****, the outfit doesn't really have any cohesion from top to bottom. top half was what I wore to work. bottom half was thrown on for the photo since the jeans had just arrived and I was trying them on. originally I was wearing navy cords, so not too much different. shoes not boots.

anyway, cardi was a $15 H&M experiment. ill try the unbuttoned look, maybe get a darker one too.

thanks heaps for all the advice. glad the glasses are working.

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phoenixrecon
what does your top say?

Off with her head.
my laptop died earlier, so the sentiment is somewhat fitting.
ffffuuuu.gif

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren
got new glasses
waywrn010.jpg
jeans were straight outta the package -- presently being cold soaked for the first time.

Softy was clowin, but his advice is really good. You need the cardigan to sit higher on your chest. As it is, it's not cut right for you. More importantly, your clothes do nothing to hide the fact that you're very skinny. In the way that a more corpulent man wouldn't want to wear clothes that emphasize his large stomach, you don't want to wear clothes that emphasize your small chest (I mean this constructively, not as an insult). All in all, it just kind of looks like you were dressed by the internet. I get the sense that you pieced together trends - raw jeans, striped tie, cut away collar, and hyper slim fits - but in a way that isn't coherent. It just looks trendy. Ties shouldn't be worn with jeans, generally. When it's worn as such, it just ends up looking more like fashion than style. I would do away with cardigans for your body type, as they're too tight fitting for your chest size, unless you're going to layer it underneath a coat. For that reason, I would actually advise sticking with with a lighter color cardigan instead of the darker one softy recommended. Any kind of outerwear or jacket you pick up will probably be darker than this mid-grey cardigan you have, which is good because you want your layers to look distinct. I also think you should wear trousers, perhaps navy. You can pick either cotton or wool; the first is more casual and the second is more formal. As for shoes, this is where you should really either decide if you're going to do workwear or MC. I kind of wonder if softy would have even picked up on the workwear look if you were wearing loafers. For what you're wearing here, I would advise brown chukkas given that you're wearing jeans. Also, while cutaway collars typically work for a face shaped like yours (elongated), I think they make your neck look long. Maybe try something with a slightly taller collar. This might mean you'll have to go with a wide or medium spread collar instead of a cutaway.

tooshay

Reaction score
StanleyVanBuren, I also think that this kind of collar and tie for this fit don't work - they're too severe. I think the general idea is good and possible to pull off, but maybe with a knit, slimmer tie and a less imposing collar, like, say, a button down.

I do dig the new specs, though.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
svb, the glasses are dope. ok, so ive took some photoskillz advice and turned my camera upright, and set it on soft snap. also left pants untucked.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
critiques have been great and are well-taken. thanks guys.

here's today:

waywrn011.jpg

Glasses are very nice. Would prefer this with a softer collar and no tie--pants and sweater seem at odds with the starched white shirt/proper tie. Could approach tonio level bizness casuality.

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
critiques have been great and are well-taken. thanks guys.

here's today:

waywrn011.jpg

I like this much better. What type of glasses are those, btw?

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
svb that looks good.

I assume you got that vneck sweater for $10 at h&m or something given your past purchases, but it looks good in that fit

edit: agree with zissou about ocbd.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking great, Stanley. I agree on the comments on the collar. A fit like that needs a slightly rumpled OCBD and narrower tie (possibly). I think you and I have a very similar build, and I've found that a cardigan that buttons high on the chest looks best. The new glasses look great, and I'm glad you lost the beard. I finally realized that larger, rounder glasses look so much better on me than the typical tiny glasses available for men these days.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TKJTG
I like this much better. What type of glasses are those, btw?

Thanks! Frames just came out, they're from Garret Leight, son of Oliver Peoples founder Larry Leight. He has a shop here in Venice where they sell deadstock vintage Oliver Peoples frames, a few other brands, and now this is their new house line.

They're very similar to the Oliver Peoples O'Malley frame (Patrick Bateman glasses) but they're slightly less round and slightly less elongated. I preordered these like 2 months ago and they finally just arrived. I'm very stoked everyone seems to like them so far.

Originally Posted by DLester
svb that looks good.

I assume you got that vneck sweater for $10 at h&m or something given your past purchases, but it looks good in that fit

edit: agree with zissou about ocbd.

haha, yes, $15 H&M purchase. I have pricier stuff too, but for experimenting with diff looks, H&M ain't bad. plus GQ tells me to balance expensive stuff with cheap stuff (5).

Originally Posted by zissou
Looking great, Stanley. I agree on the comments on the collar. A fit like that needs a slightly rumpled OCBD and narrower tie (possibly). I think you and I have a very similar build, and I've found that a cardigan that buttons high on the chest looks best. The new glasses look great, and I'm glad you lost the beard. I finally realized that larger, rounder glasses look so much better on me than the typical tiny glasses available for men these days.

thanks! yeah the beard wasn't working out, lost it back before summer I think. on the narrow tie thing -- almost all my ties are less than 3 inches in width; I grabbed one of the 2 I have that aren't because I thought a narrow tie would be dwarfed by the large neck opening of the sweater and the larger (than my usual) collar. I'll try the narrow tie though; I certainly have plenty. I find most ties over 3" look silly on my frame anyway.

I think you're right that this sweater would probably work better with an OCBD so I'll try that in a couple days. And I'm starting to agree with the earlier critique that mixing in overly MC stuff is bordering on too fashion-y.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads