• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i dont think ive had a red from the fingerlakes that i've ever liked. cab francs, pinot noirs, blah blah. all kind of meh. the rieslings otoh are really good. the ones ive had are generally more fruit forward than the ones i've had from germany or alsace with more alcohol and more structure. i think i was a little naive in trying to rank them. they're different in style, not better or worse. wineries to look for lafayette reneau, hermann j wiemer (a little out of the way, but my favorite here), dr konstantin frank, red newt, i've heard a lot about the elizabeth restaurant at the john joseph inn, but have never went. i think you'd have a fantastic time there. the inn's beautiful and food is supposedly very good. i'd say the three best restaurants near cayuga lake are hazlenut kitchen in trumansburg, just a taste (wine and tapas bar) in the commons, and the heights cafe in cayuga heights. best steak around is probably at the heights cafe or at john thomas steakhouse near ithaca college. dewitt mall and carriage house has the best brunch. madeline's has some good desserts (marjolaine is pretty good). if you're craving asian, thai cuisine and asia cuisine are pretty good. i've never been to banfi's at cornell but it's supposed to be pretty good. i think gome said he liked their bar. the original gimme coffee is based here (kunk really likes them). they're fantastic and really into coffee. their stores even sell hario grinders. their stores also sell pour over coffees by the cup and honestly some of the best coffee i've ever had. they source the beans themselves, roast it here every week, grind it with awesome burr machines, pour overs are good, espressos are good.
drool.gif
macro mama's at the ithaca farmer's market is pretty good. if you're going by cortland doug's fish fry is super super good. cayuga lake creamery is nearby (like their icecream more than cornell or purity ice cream). cornell also has an orchard. honestly the best cider i've ever had. like no contest. the juicing machine thingy is right there in front of you pumping out samples. it's like biting into a liquid apple. i drink them by the tub at the dining halls. buy a bag of honey crisp apples. never seen them anywhere else besides the orchard and honestly the best apples i've ever had. near seneca lake is dano's heuriger (really good house made charcuterie) and red newt cellar (housed in the winery). watkins glen is also pretty cool. i remember i went hiking with some friends and had some prosciutto, mozz, tomatoes, and some baguettes that were really fantastic at the end (the wegmans in ithaca has jamon iberico from fermin and pretty good prosciutto san danielle and di parma, the speck is good, excellent cheese selection, and their whole grain baguettes are so ******* good) things not to do dont go on a boat tour dont eat japanese food here dont underestimate the weather is about all i can think of tldr version = restaurant/inns elizabeth restaurant john jay inn for prix fixe, hazlenut kitchen (staples are their burgers (mmmm truffle aioli) and hangar steak, all other entrees change) heights cafe (best wine menu in town) brunch dewitt mall (first floor of a run down mall/high school thingy) wineries dr konstantin frank (i believe the first and one of the best wineries here) hermann j wiemer ->both near seneca lake. if you're here might as well stop by dano's heuriger red newt (if you dont want charcuterie from dano's go here) visit watkins glen cornell orchards (not sure about when they're open)

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last night with beef pot pie: 2004 Rivers Marie cabernet. This had actually been open a couple of days. I didn't like it when I opened it, and I didn't like it last night. Tasted like a generic big Napa cab made in a modern style. This type of wine really isn't my style, but I actually enjoyed the 2007 version of this wine for what it was and hoped with a few years on it, it might evolve into something worth drinking. This was one of two bottles picked up at auction and the other will likely be given away to my sister as this is her kind of wine.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
damn son, this is a solid list. For reference, most of the activities and foods being recommended are in Ithaca at the bottom of Cayuga lake while the wineries are a little north. None are hard to reach from Ithaca.

Originally Posted by indesertum
i've heard a lot about the elizabeth restaurant at the john joseph inn, but have never went. i think you'd have a fantastic time there. the inn's beautiful and food is supposedly very good.
Housing is one of the few things I don't know much about, but there are a lot of nice B&B's in town. My family and friends always stayed at the Statler hotel, mostly out of convenience, but it is very nice. I'll provide a link at the bottom that may be a good source.

brunch
dewitt mall (first floor of a run down mall/high school thingy)

yes, this is a great place to check out. The Carriage House is my other favorite (I went again last year and it was just awesome). And despite the odd popularity of brunch in NYC, I'd take either of these over the vast majority of brunches I've had in NY.

i'd say the three best restaurants near cayuga lake are hazlenut kitchen in trumansburg, just a taste (wine and tapas bar) in the commons, and the heights cafe in cayuga heights. best steak around is probably at the heights cafe or at john thomas steakhouse near ithaca college. dewitt mall and carriage house has the best brunch. madeline's has some good desserts (marjolaine is pretty good). if you're craving asian, thai cuisine and asia cuisine are pretty good.

i've never been to banfi's at cornell but it's supposed to be pretty good. i think gome said he liked their bar.

I've liked Banfi too (yes, very much related to Castello Banfi) and I've heard very good things about Hazelnut Kitchen but I've never eaten there. It's at the top of my list to try. I've never been to Just a Taste either. The Heights is traditionally the "best" in the area but I ate there again a year ago and it was a little lacking compared to years past. Anther restaurant I really love is Moosewood - vegetarian, but not in the fake meat way. They've been there forever and have published a dozen very popular cookbooks (see on Amazon).

near seneca lake is dano's heuriger (really good house made charcuterie) ... (the wegmans in ithaca has jamon iberico from fermin and pretty good prosciutto san danielle and di parma, the speck is good, excellent cheese selection, and their whole grain baguettes are so ******* good)
Dano's is a great spot to pick up a quick bite in the middle of running around to all of the wineries, it has a good location for this as well.

And Wegmans. It's a grocery store, but damn can you get some good stuff there. You want to know how cool I was in college? We'd consume lots of beer or wine, and then have a taxi take us down to Wegmans on Friday nights to load up on **** like prosciutto, cheese, all of the ridiculous desserts, etc. **** the bars.

macro mama's at the ithaca farmer's market is pretty good.
I like the farmer's market, it's not just produce, rather they have a lot of local restaurants and cooks making stuff. It'll be in an article linked below.

things not to do
dont go on a boat tour
dont eat japanese food here
dont underestimate the weather

I would also add "go on a structured wine tour", but I will explain that later.

cornell also has an orchard. honestly the best cider i've ever had. like no contest. the juicing machine thingy is right there in front of you pumping out samples. it's like biting into a liquid apple. i drink them by the tub at the dining halls. buy a bag of honey crisp apples. never seen them anywhere else besides the orchard and honestly the best apples i've ever had.
visit
watkins glen
cornell orchards (not sure about when they're open)

Link to the CU orchards website

Ithaca guide from the NY Times.
Random article about Finger Lakes food.

I'll poast on some of the Wineries in a little...

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Geez, I wonder what Kyle thought of that Sancerre Rouge?
Patience young padawan.
Originally Posted by Piobaire
K-dub, three Hurst Vineyards, three Purple, all 08.
IMG_0262.jpg

inlove.gif
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Ah...I still like the Relentless, especially for drinking without food. Got enough interesting fruit to stand on its own without food. I know Kwilk tried it (2004, I think) and liked it, but questioned whether or not it's worth the freight. YMMV.
Well, I don't think it was worth the money to me, because at the time it was the most expensive bottle of wine I'd ever purchased, and for someone making 22k a year, dropping a bill on a single bottle of wine is insane. For people with more discretionary income, I would say Relentless is a good choice. That said, it was a great wine, that I'd love to drink again. But if you're deciding whether to buy a single bottle of wine or pay your electric bill that month (
shog[1].gif
) then don't go with the Relentless!
laugh.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I cannot wait to try my first taste of an aged white Burg.

Edit: Oh yeah, had an 09 Gruner-Veltliner last night. Damn good, value priced wine.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Dear iammatt,

I know what yous having soon and it makes me bitter. Both do.

love,
gomestar

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
Dear iammatt,

I know what yous having soon and it makes me bitter. Both do.

love,
gomestar

I don't know. I'm outta teh inner serkle?

frown.gif

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indesertum and Gome, huge thx. Much appreciated.

To be honest, we are heading to the city for business/concertizing/pleasure and will make a pleasant detour to the Finger Lakes as we make our way down from Toronto.

It's when we hit the city, the serious drinking takes place! But, we shall take great pleasure visiting some of your suggestions.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
oh yeah, you did that last year. Except I went to the Finger Lakes as you came in.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just had a nice visit and purchased some gifts (unless I crack).

2007 Titus Zin, Napa
2006 Fogdog Pinot, Sonoma Coast
Moet Rose Imperiale
Moet Imperial Nectar
Roederer
Pol Roger

Drooling right now. Damn altruism.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
oh yeah, you did that last year. Except I went to the Finger Lakes as you came in.

I'm in the city in May, June and July this year. Love it every time.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looking forward to enjoying these burgundies over Christmas day.

photohr.jpg

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife is saying we need to try this: d'Arenberg The Dead Arm Shiraz .. she had a glass at her company's x-mas party and loved it. Anyone familiar with it?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads