• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion Newb in desperate need of advice

Derek92

Reaction score
First off I'm 18 so go a bit easy on me as far as fashion goes. I have two main questions for now and I will be posting more on this forum for sure to ask for more advice as I need it.
1. Are there any quality dress shirts to be had for around $30ish a shirt? Or is it a necessity to spend $50 or more for quality? I know JBs reputation on here when it comes to quality but is there anything to match quality for price in my price range? Right now I can get two signature shirts and a tailor fit for ~$90.
2. I just bought a Joseph line 3 piece suit for $250 with tax but am mildly regretting it. Should I return it and if so what should I buy?

Thanks and let the flaming begin for buying JB.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Derek92
1. Are there any quality dress shirts to be had for around $30ish a shirt? Or is it a necessity to spend $50 or more for quality? I know JBs reputation on here when it comes to quality but is there anything to match quality for price in my price range? Right now I can get two signature shirts and a tailor fit for ~$90.

Shirts from Lands' End are in that price range, and many at Ask Andy About Clothes wear them happily.

2. I just bought a Joseph line 3 piece suit for $250 with tax but am mildly regretting it. Should I return it and if so what should I buy?

Do you really need a suit? If not, consider getting an Anderson-Little blazer and spend the balance on mid gray wool pants and a few chinos.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Its nice to see a young man looking in the right places for advice. What do you want the dress shirts to function as - for going out/partying or for work/interviews? At 18 you probably dont want/need most of the things that mainly get discussed on this side of the forum, but you can probably do no wrong getting some decent semi-disposable stuff at Banana Republic. Saks Fifth Ave makes really nice, well made house label stuff, that when on sale, winds up at just around the high range of your budget. Best of luck with your search.
smile.gif

Derek92

Reaction score
Originally Posted by F. Corbera
Shirts from Lands' End are in that price range, and many at Ask Andy About Clothes wear them happily.

Do you really need a suit? If not, consider getting an Anderson-Little blazer and spend the balance on mid gray wool pants and a few chinos.

I do need a suit because I'm in business school. Any recommendations?
Spoo, the shirts will mainly be for wearing with the suits and also with ties for business casual wear.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Spoo, the shirts will mainly be for wearing with the suits and also with ties for business casual wear.

I believe my astute friend Mr. Corbera will also offer you his expertise here, but if you are located near a Saks off Fifth store, go check out what they have in terms of shirting. You might be pleasantly surprised!

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
I believe my astute friend Mr. Corbera will also offer you his expertise here, but if you are located near a Saks off Fifth store, go check out what they have in terms of shirting. You might be pleasantly surprised!

Shirting is the fabric; shirts are what you wear.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First off I'm 18 so go a bit easy on me as far as fashion goes. I have two main questions for now and I will be posting more on this forum for sure to ask for more advice as I need it.

At your stage in life, nobody here will fault you for buying JAB. If you like the shirts, by all means keep them. The suit may be overly much as a 3-piece. JAB's suits are loathed here because their fit is atrocious. You could easily be looking at $50-$100 in alterations to get the waist, arms, and trousers slimmed so that you don't look like you're drowning in your suit. Why are you regretting the purchase? How do the shirts fit your frame? Do they have lots of material at the sides/back or the arms?

Originally Posted by SpooPoker
In addition to Saks Off Fifth, OP should also look into Nordstrom's Rack stores. They have middle-quality shirts that typically fall into his price range. They also, from my experience, have deals on ties year-round.

Originally Posted by F. Corbera
Shirting is the fabric; shirts are what you wear.
rotflmao.gif
rotflmao.gif
rotflmao.gif

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

im in business school and have not run into this situation yet...

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score

some of the boys around here have done particularly well hitting up local thrift stores, stick around and learn what to look for, and you may find yourself with a happily thrifted wardrobe of Very Nice Things.

Also, keep an eye on our Buying and Selling board, some good stuff at good prices passes through there...

ArtOrSartor

Reaction score
This might not be very popular 'round these parts, but I like H&M for shirts. It's been a while since I've picked one up, but I seem to recall that they are between $30 and $40. I don't know what your dimensions are, but I've had luck finding shirts that work on my hard to fit torso. One problem that I had, in Chicago, at least, is that their stock doesn't seem to be replenished frequently at all and it gets picked over very fast. Also, don't get the 'dress' shirts that hang on the racks like Walmart, make sure you buy the ones that are folded up and pinned to cardboard.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
some of the boys around here have done particularly well hitting up local thrift stores, stick around and learn what to look for, and you may find yourself with a happily thrifted wardrobe of Very Nice Things.

Also, keep an eye on our Buying and Selling board, some good stuff at good prices passes through there...

Heartily agree on both counts. BTW: if this is your first time getting dress shirts, go get measured at a local store (neck and sleeve) so you're not buying blind.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
I would think jab would have measured him?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by phoenixrecon
im in business school and have not run into this situation yet...

I wasn't a business school type, but I was too scratching my head at the need for an 18-year-old in business school to own a suit. At that age, aren't you a freshman? Have you even been admitted to the business program at whatever university you attend or are you still just getting your general studies out of the way? My wife, who was a business school type, both undergrad and grad school, talks about how the guys who always wore suits and ties and stuff like that to their classes looked like DBs trying too hard - especially in the first few years of classes.

[/off topic semi-rant]

Anyway... back to the original question... At 18-years-old, I wouldn't recommend spending a fortune on shirts or suits. As already suggested, if you think it would work for you, I'd recommend a blazer and a pair or two of quality grey pants. For the shirts, if I were 18, I'd stick with inexpensive oxfords that you would probably also get some use out of in casual settings. I think the Lands End suggestion was a good one as they are inexpensive and relatively durable.

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMHO, (and not trying to offend anyone) but land's end is so blah. For the $40-$65 range, Robert Talbott offers, imHUMBLEo, an excellent alternative. Nordstrom rack always has a great deal of these, look on the clearnace rack. For simple, OCBD's, Nordstrom private label does these really well @ $20/pop! The colar roll is quite fantastic actually, and their slim stuff fits the type really well. I bought two slim fit gingham button downs for $44 OTD and quite like them On a bright noe, I'm glad SF is lightening up on these types of threads
smile.gif
Welcome to the club, n00b
fing02[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads