• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toronto restaurant recommendation

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm bistro 990 or Le Select... Wildly different reviews.

I was only in town recently for a string of extremely mediocre holiday parties. Joe Badali (eck buffet!) , some hotel fixture in the Sheraton (ugh). I should be back on the 23rd to do some real damage.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fwiffo
Hmm bistro 990 or Le Select... Wildly different reviews. I was only in town recently for a string of extremely mediocre holiday parties. Joe Badali (eck buffet!) , some hotel fixture in the Sheraton (ugh). I should be back on the 23rd to do some real damage.
Never ate at Bistro 990 but Le Select is great. Awesome, traditional bistro food and a great beer and wine list in a bustling atmosphere. Toronto doesn't have enough places like Le Select. In other news, I took my girlfriend to George last night for a mini celebration. We had the 7-course tasting menu with wine pairings. Exceptional, though I was unfortunately wasted by the end given the relatively generous pours and the fact I had not eaten beforehand.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I kept reading on Chowhound about how it's nit the same since it moved and the wildly inconsistent service and quality of food. But obviously you and audiophilia gush about it so I'll have to take a look.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
I kept reading on Chowhound about how it's nit the same since it moved and the wildly inconsistent service and quality of food. But obviously you and audiophilia gush about it so I'll have to take a look.

Le Select or George?

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Le Select.

I was about to pop in on the 12th when I was in town but it was raining and I didn't feel like dragging a little girl and her mother there in the rain from Roy Thomson. I'm really dying for a proper steak & frites. Have people been to Le Rossignol?

Yorkville update: those who were looking for Dynasty, it looks like it has reopened a couple blocks north of the original location: Dynasty Map

Although now I assume it will have to compete with Crown Princess just down the street.

tomgirl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a question...but when is one of you going to take me to one of these pimpin' restaurants!?!?!
confused.gif

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd offer to do it but I recall there were many other blokes on the board waiting to do it (GQgeek, etc). And you also mentioned you did a low key birthday party with a girlfriend at Libretto.

But I'm always happy to find someone new to blow a few hundred on a meal. If it helps, I usually pick up the cheque.

tomgirl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd offer to do it but I recall there were many other blokes on the board waiting to do it (GQgeek, etc). And you also mentioned you did a low key birthday party with a girlfriend at Libretto.

But I'm always happy to find someone new to blow a few hundred on a meal. If it helps, I usually pick up the cheque.

Yea right, GQgeek would take me to Pizza Pizza and then look sheepish when he had to pay the "bill".
confused.gif

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
In
No ****
Splendido, plz
smile.gif

Aren't you the one who spent four figures at George and most of it was vino? I did say a few hundred.

Seeing as my last time at Splendido was for their lunch tasting course when the G20 delegation arrived, and the proletariat were moaning a few blocks away, I'd be honoured.

Originally Posted by tomgirl
Yea right, GQgeek would take me to Pizza Pizza and then look sheepish when he had to pay the "bill".
confused.gif

I see no reason why one would subject themselves or anyone else to that kind of rubbish. I'm back in town on the 23rd
lookaround.gif

tomgirl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aren't you the one who spent four figures at George and most of it was vino? I did say a few hundred.

Seeing as my last time at Splendido was for their lunch tasting course when the G20 delegation arrived, and the proletariat were moaning a few blocks away, I'd be honoured.

I see no reason why one would subject themselves or anyone else to that kind of rubbish. I'm back in town on the 23rd
lookaround.gif

What a coincidence! I'll be hungry on the 23rd!
wink.gif

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aren't you the one who spent four figures at George and most of it was vino? I did say a few hundred. Seeing as my last time at Splendido was for their lunch tasting course when the G20 delegation arrived, and the proletariat were moaning a few blocks away, I'd be honoured.
Five guests and a bottle of Kistler is pricey, mate
wink.gif

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried breakfast today at the O&B canteen. I had the egg white omelette and a side of potato beef hash. The flavours in the omelette are very muted - maybe it's a breakfast thing. There's only a hint of cheese and even the red peppers and tomato side is kept mild. Sodium hounds might have something to object.

The beef hash is really just corned beef chop with a few bits of fat in there. Those looking for slightly burnt potatoes will have to dig to the bottom of a very greasy fat laden side bowl. My heart was definitely signaling some kind of objection as I took in the last couple of bites.

I liked the serving dishes especially the little side bowls. The paper napkins, on the other hand, were quite feeble. The space like most new Toronto places west of University and east of Bathurst is open and bright with floor to ceiling glass. It's set up more like a modern diner with the faux chalkboard and that long counter where the kitchen can pass entrees to the waiters.

$22 + tip. I had an Earl Grey tea as well, which was the same as you would get at any Oliver & Bonacini place.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads