• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

John_

Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
they probably would have taken them back if they were worn indoors only, on a carpet, without sever creasing

you could try an insole, some people say that works, certainly worth a try

Are they too big because they slip or feel too big, or simply because they look too big when you see your reflection? What size do you normally wear? Shell feels a little bigger than calfskin, as has been discussed here, but seems to form to fit nicely over time. I am an 11D usually, but 10.5D on a Barrie last, which works well. Wearing those same boots in #8 today!

jolla

Reaction score
Originally Posted by John_
Are they too big because they slip or feel too big, or simply because they look too big when you see your reflection? What size do you normally wear? Shell feels a little bigger than calfskin, as has been discussed here, but seems to form to fit nicely over time. I am an 11D usually, but 10.5D on a Barrie last, which works well. Wearing those same boots in #8 today!
Unfortunately, I wore them outdoors twice and they are not in "brand new" condition for return, which is a killer. I can see that they are just way too big for my foot. The thing that tricked me, I think, is that I have the cigar shell chukkas in 11D on the barrie last which pinch me a bit in my right instep. I thought I needed a bigger size so I went with 11.5D, but really, I think it is just how the chukkas are laced far back on the shoe. I have a feeling that because these lace up with much more coverage on the foot, there wouldn't be any pinch in the 11D. Also, when I turn the shoe over and put my foot against the bottom, the outline of the sole seems way too large for my foot. Wish I had done that before I wore the dang things.

lambchop

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jolla
Hey gents, I'd really appreciate some advice. Just picked up the beautiful Ravello Wingtip Boots from ShoeMart. Unfortunately, it was really hard to tell if they were the right size (I got an 11.5D) without stepping in them and creasing them. I made my best guess that they felt ok and were not too big and decided that I was going to keep them...

Well, I've worn them twice and caught a glance of my profile in a window at the San Francisco Ferry building this weekend. I wanna shoot myself: they are too big. I've seen posts saying that you should just get rid of a shoe unless it fits you properly, but maybe, just maybe, I could make these work with enough padding.

What do you guys think--do I keep them and layer down the inserts or just sell them and hope I can pick them up in an 11D at some point?

Thanks for the advice!

If you already wore them outside you might as well wear them a bit longer and see if they break in. It took me a few wears to realize I has sized too small even though they initially felt fine. Definitely don't judge it by your reflection in a window. Check that the ball of your foot is sitting in the widest part of the shoe. You want some decent space in front of your toes otherwise you it will start to feel some rubbing and discomfort. Maybe try some thicker socks first as well.

PeterParker

Reaction score
I've seen posts saying that you should just get rid of a shoe unless it fits you properly
I certainly agree with this advice - especially when applied to $700 shoes. Regardless of cost though, shoes are the worst article of clothing to have ill fitting. The discomfort and potential orthopedic problems it can cause is simply not worth the sacrifice.
but maybe, just maybe, I could make these work with enough padding. What do you guys think--do I keep them and layer down the inserts or just sell them and hope I can pick them up in an 11D at some point?
I would give that a shot before parting with the shoes, since you don't have much to lose. Try some insoles and wear them around the house. If they've only been worn outside a couple of times, they should retain close to their original price. I was in a similar situation with another pair of Aldens. I didn't notice they were too narrow for me until I wore them a couple of times, but as soon as I realized this I let them go. I was able to recoup about 90% of the full price since they were limited in availability. I was also fortunate enough to be able to order another pair in (what I hope to be) my proper size.
Unfortunately, it was really hard to tell if they were the right size (I got an 11.5D) without stepping in them and creasing them. I made my best guess that they felt ok and were not too big and decided that I was going to keep them...
This is a tough call. My first pair of Alden's were cordovan boots and I spent a good hour with my feet in them in various configurations (unlaced, laced, sitting, standing) on carpeted floor, without creasing them. A couple of things that I noticed from this "experiment" were that my feet were snug, but not tight, fore and aft in the shoe, with neither slop nor pressure points at the toes or the heel. They were also snug laterally with neither slop nor pressure points in the forefoot or the heel. This was apparent the moment my foot was placed in the shoe, without even lacing them up. Lacing them up secured my foot in the shoe, but they would have stayed in their place without the laces. I probably waited two weeks before I finally decided to set the creases and keep them. I don't know why I waited so long because they have turned out to be my best fitting and most comfortable pair of shoes.

John_

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I wore them outdoors twice and they are not in "brand new" condition for return, which is a killer.

I can see that they are just way too big for my foot. The thing that tricked me, I think, is that I have the cigar shell chukkas in 11D on the barrie last which pinch me a bit in my right instep. I thought I needed a bigger size so I went with 11.5D, but really, I think it is just how the chukkas are laced far back on the shoe. I have a feeling that because these lace up with much more coverage on the foot, there wouldn't be any pinch in the 11D.

Also, when I turn the shoe over and put my foot against the bottom, the outline of the sole seems way too large for my foot. Wish I had done that before I wore the dang things.

Sorry to hear that. I hope it works out. FYI, my shell chukkas and these shell wingtip boots both fit me as 10.5D, but my instep has never been a problem in shoes.

Maybe the insole option, or since you are in SF, maybe swing by the Alden Shop and see how these fit: http://www.aldenshop.com/DrawOneShoe.asp?CategoryID=46

Not boots, but they are lace-ups on Barrie and might suggest the right size/width.

Bugsy

Reaction score
ROY BOOT QUESTION:

so i would like to add another boot to my new humble alden collection, a 405 and wingtip. i would like another boot.

hopefully the alden experts here in the group can help. is the "roy boot" in the regular alden line in any version? all i can find is the context, winn perry versions, i am wondering if the stock it in any way? thanks in advance

B

PeterParker

Reaction score
^ I don't believe that there is a regular production model of a Barrie or Trubalance lasted plain toe boot. Context is the only place I've seen to have a PTBoot in brown chromexcel (the original "Roy" boot). If you're looking for a PTBoot with a crepe sole, Leather Soul stocks one in #8 cordovan. If you're not particular about the crepe sole, there a variety of other options too.

Bugsy

Reaction score
PP-
I would be open to different types of bottoms, other than crepe, but do want a plain toe, what would you suggest?

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Our Plaza Indy isn't Tan Vegano, it's burnished tan. Probably the same as the Carmel boot.

phantomx48

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
Our Plaza Indy isn't Tan Vegano, it's burnished tan. Probably the same as the Carmel boot.

Thanks Tom, I was just wondering if anyone could speak to the color differences between the two.

Also, you definitely need to reorder the tan Indy on the Plaza last. . .I liked it so much that I bought its #8 brother to keep me company till (if) you reorder them.

PeterParker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phantomx48
Does anyone know if the Tan Vegano Calf leather used in the Winn Perry captoe boot is the same color as used in the J. Gilbert Tan Wingtip boot, or the Leathersoul Plaza Indy Boot?
I had inquired about this several months prior, assuming that they were the same. Here was Tom's response:
Not true. The Plaza Indys are made with the Burnished Tan color found on many stock models. Tan Vegano is a different leather. They're pretty similar in color but the texture of Vegano is much more supple and soft in my opinion. The Extra Perf Wingtips were made with Vegano and so was the "Chestnut" and navy Saddle Shoes.

Originally Posted by Bugsy
PP-
I would be open to different types of bottoms, other than crepe, but do want a plain toe, what would you suggest?

If you're looking for a boot that can be beat up and still look fantastic, I would consider the Natural Chromexcel PTBoot. Although it's lighter than brown chromexcel, the leather should darken with wear and regular treatment.

The AF88 from AoC is another option in brown calfskin; however it has a dressier silhouette with the Leydon last and the blind eyelets.

The two variations of the Pitt Boot at LSBH are also oustanding.

If you're looking for a brown chromexcel PTBoot, I think the Roy boot is your only option. Given that you already have a pair of 405's I'd consider trying something else for some variety, although I understand the allure of the Roy boot.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PeterParker
I had inquired about this several months prior, assuming that they were the same. Here was Tom's response:

If you're looking for a boot that can be beat up and still look fantastic, I would consider the Natural Chromexcel PTBoot. Although it's lighter than brown chromexcel, the leather should darken with wear and regular treatment.

The AF88 from AoC is another option in brown calfskin; however it has a dressier silhouette with the Leydon last and the blind eyelets.

The two variations of the Pitt Boot at LSBH are also oustanding.

If you're looking for a brown chromexcel PTBoot, I think the Roy boot is your only option. Given that you already have a pair of 405's I'd consider trying something else for some variety, although I understand the allure of the Roy boot.

We actually have the Pitt Boot on order in brown chromexcel too.

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We actually have the Pitt Boot on order in brown chromexcel too.
When are you expecting these?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads