• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Citizens On Patrol Thread...forum rules you would like to see

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
There's an accepted level of racism that I'm not comfortable with, e.g. the Colin Powell jpg.

I validate that you feel this way but would like to point out there is an accepted level of about everything here that someone will not be comfortable with. I have my own sensitivities and take note when they are impinged on. However, I try and put it in perspective, both in who is saying it an in the overall weltanschauung of the entire board.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
it's interesting to note that, in the 3 or 4 days since I started my sock rampage, and for all of the 'ban the socks' cries in this thread and around the board in general, I am still on exactly two reports...total....and they were for the same sock-suspect which turned out to be false.

I have never had the
tinfoil.gif
assumption that there were socks hiding under every rock. I know Pio thinks they are everywhere. I don't get it, or maybe I'm just too dumb to notice, or maybe I don't care all that much to keep track of who posts what. I don't think there are nearly as many of them as people think.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
I think that if you want to "clean up the forum" then you need to get rid of the most obvious offenders. That is, if you want to limit misogyny then get rid of the soft Appreciation threads. The lowest common denominator becomes the defacto standard so it's going to be tough to eliminate overtly sexual posts/threads if the forum maintains multiple threads dedicated to giving people boners.

This.

Originally Posted by Stazy
This is the biggest problem with MC (and streetwear to a smaller extent). We already have such a large database of information that there really isn't much need for ANY new threads to be made in these forums. The reason senior members stop posting in them is because you can only answer interview attire questions so many times before it gets tiresome.

I don't think there is a solution to this problem.

This.

Originally Posted by Manton
As is well known, I had my issues with FNB. But I think it is absurd to say that his departure in any way harmed MC. First, the main reason for MC's decline was that we were all "talked out" on the subject years before. All that predated FNB's banning by, literally, years. Second, his posts were mostly silly. You could break them down into a small number of categories. 1) Endless "essays" intended to be profound but that made no sense. 2) Stupid class-bass rantings (e.g., hopsack is for garbagemen) with no grounding in tradition or reality. 3) Passive-aggressive trolling. Yes, he stirred things up but not in a good way. He just posted a lot of stupid crap that was so evidently stupid, people couldn't help but pile on.

I suppose tastes have homogeonized somewhat on MC; actually, I am not sure that is even true. Look at WYWN, which seems to me to be all over map, moreso than ever. However, there is a cadre of styles/traits that a number of established members share which gets called "groupthink" by those who don't like it. Its influence is overstated though. If the "groupthink" were so widely accepted, WYWN would look a lot different than it does (better, IMO).

This.

Originally Posted by Manton
Some of the most prolific new(er) members, such as kwilk and Pio, never talk about clothes at all.

Sup.

How hard is it to set up a forum?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I understand that you guys want to get rid of some of the misogyny, and the dumb-assness to boot, but that's really just part and parcel of having a bunch of guys together in one place. These aren't a bunch of British aristocrats you're dealing with here. Teenagers, married men, gay's, singles, and fruitcakes will inevitably produce conversation that strays out of bounds. You've just got to say "Hey, knock that off!" and move on with your life. Trying to ban that type of behavior is going to be nigh impossible.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I have never had the
tinfoil.gif
assumption that there were socks hiding under every rock. I know Pio thinks they are everywhere. I don't get it, or maybe I'm just too dumb to notice, or maybe I don't care all that much to keep track of who posts what. I don't think there are nearly as many of them as people think.

You are now under suspicion!

Seriously though, want someone I think is a sock? I'll PM it to Matt right after I post this. What gets my radar up is either someone with a four year old join date and suddenly goes batshit (hello Hey Man) or someone that uses his post #101 in the CE in a way that reflects they have obviously been reading the CE.

Also, I have had certain suddenly prolific posters PM me and try to get personal information out of me. I mean, a string of PMs not catching the drift that I don't plan to divulge personal info to them. I'd rather be
tinfoil.gif
that sorry.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
i feel like this might be an appropriate place to drop the "white people" gif.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Manton

I'm not implying that usage of the Powell.jpg is the exclusive domain of racists, and I'm on the record as saying that I believe the pic, in and of itself, is funny however; this is the interwebz. The anonymity of the medium affords people to opportunity to show their true colors under the guise of sarcasm or snark.

I assure you that most posters who have used the pic, wouldn't dream of uttering the word in my presence...and not because I'm an ITG, but because they know it's wrong. I don't think it's a stretch to say that, in America at least, few words in the English language are as impactful as *****r. No one here is that naive.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I understand that you guys want to get rid of some of the misogyny, and the dumb-assness to boot, but that's really just part and parcel of having a bunch of guys together in one place. These aren't a bunch of British aristocrats you're dealing with here. Teenagers, married men, gay's, singles, and fruitcakes will inevitably produce conversation that strays out of bounds. You've just got to say "Hey, knock that off!" and move on with your life. Trying to ban that type of behavior is going to be nigh impossible.

It's one thing to have a post or two about it, but it's another when there are entire (very popular, I might add) threads talking about "fat anglo housewives." What do you think that would do to any even reasonably-minded woman browsing here?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
it's interesting to note that, in the 3 or 4 days since I started my sock rampage, and for all of the 'ban the socks' cries in this thread and around the board in general, I am still on exactly two reports...total....and they were for the same sock-suspect which turned out to be false.
Can't you partially automate the process by doing something such as sorting the member list by IP address and noting duplicates? Identifying socks just by the nature of their posts is not always an easy thing.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I actually think the Alan Keyes one (at least I think it's Alan Keyes) is worse than the Colin Powell one. But damn if they don't both make me laugh, even if I feel a bit guilty using them.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
I assure you that most posters who have used the pic, wouldn't dream of uttering the word in my presence.

I'm sure this is true. But the reason is maybe different than you assume.

I don't know if you lived through 1994 or what you were doing, but when Pulp Fiction came out the frequency of young whites n-wording went through the roof. 99.9% were not trying to be racist. They thought they were being ironic-hip-cool or whatever. The Powell pic strikes me as the same thing.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm probably in the minority on this, but one of the main problems is posters treating SF like a blog rather than a forum. It's one thing to post about your trip to Naples or your cooking class that's going to lead to some fruitful discussions of interest to the community. It's quite another to start a vanity thread whose only purpose is to call attention to yourself. It doesn't help that many of these threads are the most puerile as well. I don't think anything can be done about this trend other than ask members to be more judicious about starting threads.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in college, and I found it all quite unsettling. My take is that they found it empowering. A way of dealing with not having the same place in American society as their fathers. Whatever, I'll admit I read a lot into **** like this. My Southern parents raised me to be vigilant.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
How about one with Bill Richardson that says "Yo, yo, yo, homie, I ain't readin' all that $#!+"?

You could also substitute "vato" for "homie" but I don't think I've heard "vato" since about 1982, and California is way more Mexican now than it was then.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads