• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Obenauf's LP: It works

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by raven37457
I am currently using Mink oil for my black leather 1000 Miles and TBC Tackhead boots. Are there any drawbacks with using mink oil instead of Obenaufs? Has anyone compared the two? Thanks.

If you apply too much, mink oil has a tendency to flake especially at the creases. I don't know if this happens with Obenaufs.

I've used mink oil on everything from my Indy boots to my Schlesinger briefcase to my baseball glove. There have been no problems.

srendam

Reaction score
Hi guys is it okay to use this on my Doc martens?

prozach1576

Reaction score
Yeah, so this stuff is great. I got it in the mail today and decided to do some work on a pair of boots I unearthed from my closet. They're some Barney's house brand boots I got on eBay a few years ago. These things were all moldy, caked in mud, scuffed, and faded. They've been through two Kentucky Derby infields.

Before:

f9f7f722.jpg

After scrubbing with saddle soap, letting them dry, a thick coat of Obenauf's LP, 15 minutes in a warm oven, and a coat of Meltonian shoe cream:

d1c807d3.jpg

The first picture does not really do justice to how beat up and faded they were. They were only a little bit darker than the finish on those laces.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alec_Jan
anyone try the LP on 405's to darken out the red tone a bit?

i only use this to "shine" my aldens. it works great as I don't take care of my shoes.

steve-b

Reaction score
hi there. I ve found this ebay link: http://cgi.ebay.de/RED-WING-BOOTS-12...item35ae57d71f Is it possible to achieve this shiny finish with Kiwi on top of obenauf using water polishing on my RW 875? Or is this a bad idea, because it would reduce the effect of obenauf or something else? Or what else I can do to achieve this finish shown above?

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What effect - those boots just look polished and buffed?

Obenauf's is more a treatment and won't give you that shine, unless you wax on top.

phaseshift

Reaction score
what's the difference between the LP and Oil versions? Will one darken leather more than the other? or are the results the same?

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phaseshift
what's the difference between the LP and Oil versions? Will one darken leather more than the other? or are the results the same?

From what I've read, the LP carries its oil in a beeswax-based vehicle, so the oils are held into the leather better and released more gradually into it as well.

I've never used Obenauf's brand oil, so I don't know which darkens stuff more, but I would imagine both darken leather significantly with repeated use.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say that the oil darkens leather more. The difference is that the oil is an oil, and the LP is a harder paste that is mostly beeswax.

I find that the LP is good for slightly softening leather, but mostly protecting it, whereas the oil penetrates deeper and softens it up more.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I hear a lot about Obenauf's, but where can I purchase a tin in person? I'm sure I can find it online, but I'd rather just get it at a store.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
So, I hear a lot about Obenauf's, but where can I purchase a tin in person? I'm sure I can find it online, but I'd rather just get it at a store.

I've never seen it in a store, I bought mine online. I'm sure some boot store somewhere has it, though.

APiccoline

Reaction score
Should I apply lp to a brand new pair of RW GT's or use it to restore them after some wear?

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone keeps saying not to use it on suede-y leathers such as the Katahdin's from LL Bean. If that's the case, what would you guys recommend that that boot instead?

APiccoline

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sygyzy
Everyone keeps saying not to use it on suede-y leathers such as the Katahdin's from LL Bean. If that's the case, what would you guys recommend that that boot instead?

On either the 1st, 2nd or 3rd page of this thread there is a link to an article regarding leather care. Check that out - they recommend product for different types of leather and seem to be pretty knowledgeable. I'd copy the link address for you but I'm on my phone.

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LL Bean calls it "oiled-leather." I am not sure what that matches up with on the Russell Moccasin care page.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads