• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes and Commuting to Work

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of beautiful and expensive shoes on this forum and I'm curious whether you guys wear them to work? Especially the gentlemen that commute via train or subway? I take a short subway ride to work each day and when I'm taking my shoes off at the end of the day, I find a number of scuffs and scrapes. Not to mention the many times that someone has stepped on my heel or I've kicked the escalator or subway door. Seems as though commuting is murder on a good pair of shoes.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^

Yes. I alternate between driving to work and taking the bus. One of my favourite pair of shoes a pair of suede Edward Greens that I wear at least once or twice a week, except when it snows.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i wear mine on my hands to preserve the finish....

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I walk and take the subway to work. I wear high end shoes, even on the weekends. The key is to be as conscious as possible of your feet when walking up subway stairs and through crowds. Getting flat-tired, or stepped on and such is part of the game unfortunately, but with regular care such as brushing, conditioning and polishing your shoes will always look great. If you get a serious battle wound, wax polish hides it much better than you might think, especially if the shoe is veiwed from standing level. Even just buffing with a horsehair brush at the end of the day you would be surprised how many of the scuffs come right out. All in all, it shows your journey through life. Learn to enjoy the patina and wear them in good health!

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I walk and take the subway to work. I wear high end shoes, even on the weekends. The key is to be as conscious as possible of your feet when walking up subway stairs and through crowds. Getting flat-tired, or stepped on and such is part of the game unfortunately, but with regular care such as brushing, conditioning and polishing your shoes will always look great. If you get a serious battle wound, wax polish hides it much better than you might think, especially if the shoe is veiwed from standing level. Even just buffing with a horsehair brush at the end of the day you would be surprised how many of the scuffs come right out. All in all, it shows your journey through life. Learn to enjoy the patina and wear them in good health!

Good info, thanks. I hate the wheeled briefcases, I'm kicking them on a consistent basis.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cuttingboard
Good info, thanks. I hate the wheeled briefcases, I'm kicking them on a consistent basis.

Clueless mother's and nannies with strollers are worse...
crazy.gif

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you can't afford the scuff, you can't afford the shoes

Geezer

Reaction score

Agreed. I take the Tube ("subway") to work after a 10 minute walk, and prefer to walk from my office to any meeting within a 20-minute walking radius unless it's pouring down.

My current rotation of black work shoes are 7 prs EG, 2 pr Church, 1 pr C and J. Ranging from almost brand new to 15 or so years old and on their 5th or 6th rebuild.

They're shoes, not Ming vases. And real wear, with proper maintenance, looks good - why pay money to "antique" them when you can just wear them and polish them?

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clueless mother's and nannies with strollers are worse...
crazy.gif

I try to avoid anyone with children!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads