• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The MBreinin vs. Reevolving Fit Battle Threak

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by anginaprinzmetal
WTF !! I went through seven pages and Reevolving (or however you spell it) didn't show up. I am a newby but as far as I'm concerned (whether I like his style or not) MBreinin won this thing, period.
boxing[1].gif

Calm down, wouldn't want you getting a heart attack over it.

(sorry, couldn't resist the riff off your awesome username.
wink.gif
)

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'll preface this post by saying that mbreinin is a good sport to post a bunch of his pics and play along. I'm going to refrain on commenting on the slapfest that apparently kicked this whole thing off, as I don't really have a dog in the fight, nor do I want to. However, as this has sort of turned into a critique mbreinin thread, I thought I'd try to offer a sincere and constructive feedback. It should no way be construed as a recommendation or advocacy of reevolving - and I hope it will be read as a friendly criticism, intended in good humor and faith.

Mike, I think your high buttoning points and general three-button look are not flattering your figure. I'm no tailor, so I can't say if the waist suppression is helping to cause this either, but you seem to bulge out in the chest in many of these outfits. I think it's what's causing the "linebacker" look others have mentioned in spite of the soft shoulders.

Look at the three pics below - I've highlighted your breast bulge. In your patterned coats the look is especially accentuated by the prominent S-shape created at your chest, and I think it adds an unflattering bulkiness.

mbreinin3a.jpg

mbreinin2a.jpg

mbreinin1a.jpg

By contrast, when the buttoning point is lower, and falls more at your natural waist (as opposed to a bit above it), and perhaps is not so suppressed, you look more comfortable, more relaxed, and less stuffed-into-the-coat. To wit:

mbreinin5.jpg

mbreinin4.jpg

Anyways, I think I'm going to make this my signature so that it always goes without saying: This is purely my personal and relatively uninformed opinion.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I'll preface this post by saying that mbreinin is a good sport to post a bunch of his pics and play along. I'm going to refrain on commenting on the slapfest that apparently kicked this whole thing off, as I don't really have a dog in the fight, nor do I want to. However, as this has sort of turned into a critique mbreinin thread, I thought I'd try to offer a sincere and constructive feedback. It should no way be construed as a recommendation or advocacy of reevolving - and I hope it will be read as a friendly criticism, intended in good humor and faith.

Yeah, since Reev ain't showing up, this is now critique 20 fits that Mike thinks he looks good in.
lol8[1].gif

Hey, I am always open to genuine advice and criticism. I am here to learn and improve. I am also here to figure out what to keep, and what to dump. As long as you aren't attacking me, or being a petulant child, I roll with it.

Mike, I think your high buttoning points and general three-button look are not flattering your figure. I'm no tailor, so I can't say if the waist suppression is helping to cause this either, but you seem to bulge out in the chest in many of these outfits. I think it's what's causing the "linebacker" look others have mentioned in spite of the soft shoulders.

Look at the three pics below - I've highlighted your breast bulge. In your patterned coats the look is especially accentuated by the prominent S-shape created at your chest, and I think it adds an unflattering bulkiness.

mbreinin3a.jpg

mbreinin2a.jpg

mbreinin1a.jpg
The dreaded red moob circles.
lol8[1].gif
The first jacket is roomy. It is also pretty light and barely constructed. The light is reflecting off the chest, which I think is making it seem more apparent than it is. It does, however, button quite high. I think that is my highest buttoner. The Gunclub is just very fitted. I think I will let that out. The Nutter is cut that way. It used to have shoulders like the landing deck of the USS Hornet. I don't think I can do anything there. That is a suit to be worn very seldom, in all reality.

By contrast, when the buttoning point is lower, and falls more at your natural waist (as opposed to a bit above it), and perhaps is not so suppressed, you look more comfortable, more relaxed, and less stuffed-into-the-coat. To wit:

mbreinin5.jpg

mbreinin4.jpg

Anyways, I think I'm going to make this my signature so that it always goes without saying: This is purely my personal and relatively uninformed opinion.
I will have to try on the Loden Dager again. I don't remember how it is in terms of chest fit. It has a strange set of buttons, quite low and set very close. That really is a fashion forward SC that was purchased from GILT, when I still shopped there. It is cotton, and very light...but it has shoulders. The FSC cream suit is quite roomy, except for the pants. Fortunately, they are cut fuller below the knee. They have very narrow hips though and required a ton of work just to get me into them. I don't know who that suit was made for, but he was small down low, and big up top.

Here is another suit with a buttoning point lower than I typically wear. IIRC, this was called "too low by some when it went up on WAYWRN:

NLF-1.JPG

Mike

ichigoichie

Reaction score
I have just joined but had seen this thread and I have to applaud MBreinin on your style. I really like the variety of outfits you posted.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Here is another suit with a buttoning point lower than I typically wear. IIRC, this was called "too low by some when it went up on WAYWRN:

This actually looks a lot better. The buttoning point is low compared to the waist level, but on you I think it works better than the higher buttoning.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
This actually looks a lot better. The buttoning point is low compared to the waist level, but on you I think it works better than the higher buttoning.

It does button around the waist point of the pants though.

Mike

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mike, you look great. A bit top heavy/boxy, but based on your explanations I understand. Not much you can do there.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
Mike, you look great. A bit top heavy/boxy, but based on your explanations I understand. Not much you can do there.

Thanks.

Here is an experiment.

I am thinking that perhaps the way I crop my images is enhancing people's opinions that I look top heavy, or blocky. So, here is a pic where I did not crop anything out, and my head is partially included. If my whole head was in here, I would have left it. I have a big head, and it does balance things out.

So, does it change things?

CornPerspec.JPG

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as i commented on WAYWRN - this suit has no top heavy issues. The elongated shot provides better perspective - yes, but it wont solve any top heavy issues where they exist.

top heaviness are just a reflection of our bodies - and the only way around that is good tailoring. unstructured suits/blazers which form to your body will show your body as it is. Structured/canvassed suits/blazers that are too tight will also not be flattering. This suit today for example has fits well in the shoulders, ample space in the chest and isnt shaped too deeply in the waist - so the balance is there.

I have a similar physique as you, and the best thing for me was buying/tailoring stuff that is not too tight, but that fits. We are not like the skinny 38's or 40's around ... and its inherently flawed to try to be like one of them.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reevolving pussed-out. Weak. Mike wins by default. Hooray for another lawyer winning something
smile.gif

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks.

Here is an experiment.

I am thinking that perhaps the way I crop my images is enhancing people's opinions that I look top heavy, or blocky. So, here is a pic where I did not crop anything out, and my head is partially included. If my whole head was in here, I would have left it. I have a big head, and it does balance things out.

So, does it change things?

CornPerspec.JPG

I think this is a fantastic fit. I think if it were mine I would just narrow the sleeves a touch from the wrist to about the elbow.

I think what makes this look so good is the roll of the lapels. When the lapels are too flat I think it aids in the "wide" appearance. The roll gives a more three-dimentional look rather than just side to side.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by niidawg3
as i commented on WAYWRN - this suit has no top heavy issues. The elongated shot provides better perspective - yes, but it wont solve any top heavy issues where they exist.

top heaviness are just a reflection of our bodies - and the only way around that is good tailoring. unstructured suits/blazers which form to your body will show your body as it is. Structured/canvassed suits/blazers that are too tight will also not be flattering. This suit today for example has fits well in the shoulders, ample space in the chest and isnt shaped too deeply in the waist - so the balance is there.

I have a similar physique as you, and the best thing for me was buying/tailoring stuff that is not too tight, but that fits. We are not like the skinny 38's or 40's around ... and its inherently flawed to try to be like one of them.

I am not trying to be a member of the 36R crowd, which seems to be the yardstick upon which most are measured here. I just don't want to wear a shapeless sack that makes me look like any other slob I see in the elevators of my building every day. No form, drooping shoulders, acres of extra material, etc. I had years of wearing clothes like that because I was way overweight and trying to cover it up.

Basically, I don't want to be stuffed into my clothes, but I don't want them to dwarf me either. I guess there is a fine line and you have to find a cut that suits you. While perhaps I am most suited for a more drapey, soft silhoutte, I am drawn to the more structured and nipped look...which I just identify with being sharp. It has taken some serious mental adjustment to cross-over, so to speak.

Mike

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bull
Reevolving pussed-out. Weak. Mike wins by default. Hooray for another lawyer winning something
smile.gif

While a victory by default proves my point that he had nothing well fitting and stylish to offer, I would still like to see him come up with a fit to compete. Since today's fit is essentially a "new" fit, I will offer it up as my submission and allow him to come up with a "new" fit of his own, which he said he wanted to do. However, the longer he takes, the more suspect it becomes in my book...i.e. he is working on Photochopping something, he has a stylish friend helping him out, he is running out to get something, etc.
lol8[1].gif

Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I think this is a fantastic fit. I think if it were mine I would just narrow the sleeves a touch from the wrist to about the elbow.

I think what makes this look so good is the roll of the lapels. When the lapels are too flat I think it aids in the "wide" appearance. The roll gives a more three-dimentional look rather than just side to side.

Interesting point. I have a Sartoria Partenopea blue SC at the tailor's right now that is cut very similar to this. I hope to have it up Thursday. My only fear is the length. I have never seen a SP in short length, and all their 42s are over 30 inches from the BOC. It is not that I like a longer coat, quite to the contrary, I will buy a short when I can, but I often end up with one that is a hair too long. Today's Polo is 30 inches, BOC.

Thanks for the kudos. Nii also recommended some slimming of the sleeves.

Mike

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While a victory by default proves my point that he had nothing well fitting and stylish to offer, I would still like to see him come up with a fit to compete. Since today's fit is essentially a "new" fit, I will offer it up as my submission and allow him to come up with a "new" fit of his own, which he said he wanted to do. However, the longer he takes, the more suspect it becomes in my book...i.e. he is working on Photochopping something, he has a stylish friend helping him out, he is running out to get something, etc.
lol8[1].gif

oh come on Mike ... stop lapping it up. Considering Reevolving's picture posting history, I'm sure you knew it was a guaranteed win. He is in no shape or form in the same league as you, because essentially he is in the low low leagues.

A more interesting battle would have been you vs say Pandarts or Orgretrix (sp?) or one of the more regular WAYWRN posters.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads