• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

help with this outfit-fit and color combo

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. does this tie go well with the suit, im unsure?

2. i feel like there is something wrong with the fit of the jacket what can i do to make it fit right

thanks!

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
1. does this tie go well with the suit, im unsure? 2. i feel like there is something wrong with the fit of the jacket what can i do to make it fit right thanks!
Most importantly- Interesting choice of smashmouth 1. The tie is soporific. 2. Could be the pictures, but are you very top-heavy? IMO, the sleeves are too long for starters.

Sazerac

Reaction score
Just a brief amateur assessment:

the sleeves are a touch too long. I can see a bit of...I don't know the word for it..."puckering" in the back between your shoulder blades. This indicates the jacket is a bit too tight. The shoulders, though, strangely seem a bit loose. Overall, the jacket cut seems too full for you.

As for the tie, it's a but dull with that suit only because it's not adding anything new. Your instinct to wear wider stripes with stripes of a narrower width is right on, but the colors are too close together.

Also, the neck on your shirt seems to be riding very low. Is it too big?

Again, just my amateur observations. Hope I didn't step on toes.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe
Most importantly- Interesting choice of smashmouth

1. The tie is soporific.
2. Could be the pictures, but are you very top-heavy? IMO, the sleeves are too long for starters.

thanks for noticing the smashmouth

1. i know, but does it match well or is it too much of the same color as the suit

2. yes, im about a 46 chest with a little bit of gut, i would like to have the sleeves shortened but im referring to the body of the jacket in my origional question

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sazerac
Just a brief amateur assessment:

the sleeves are a touch too long. I can see a bit of...I don't know the word for it..."puckering" in the back between your shoulder blades. This indicates the jacket is a bit too tight. The shoulders, though, strangely seem a bit loose. Overall, the jacket cut seems too full for you.

As for the tie, it's a but dull with that suit only because it's not adding anything new. Your instinct to wear wider stripes with stripes of a narrower width is right on, but the colors are too close together.

Also, the neck on your shirt seems to be riding very low. Is it too big?

Again, just my amateur observations. Hope I didn't step on toes.

the puckering is from an earlier adjustment that went wrong, the shirt is old i just threw it on for the pic, as far as stepping on toes far from it that may have been the mildest criticism on sf thanks for going easy on me
thumbs-up.gif

Sazerac

Reaction score
Have you had the suit for a while? Have you lost/gained a significant amount of weight since buying it or having it altered?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sazerac
Have you had the suit for a while? Have you lost/gained a significant amount of weight since buying it or having it altered?

suit is about 2 months old, weight is the same maybe lost 2-3 pounds not more

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
There is nothing really technically wrong with the tie, but it is a very boring match devoid of any style. Just pick a tie in any contrasting color and you will have improved the outfit immensely. I'd try to lose the stripes on the tie, too. Stripes are not necessarily "undoable" with this outfit, but they may be at this point in your sartorial development.

The jacket sleeves are clearly too long. They're eating up your hands, and you can't see any shirt sleeve, which you should.

Overall I think the jacket is large. You say you're a big fella (so am I) but it's clear the coat is too big around your middle. It has no shape at all. Tailoring will help.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
There is nothing really technically wrong with the tie, but it is a very boring match devoid of any style. Just pick a tie in any contrasting color and you will have improved the outfit immensely. I'd try to lose the stripes on the tie, too. Stripes are not necessarily "undoable" with this outfit, but they may be at this point in your sartorial development.

The jacket sleeves are clearly too long. They're eating up your hands, and you can't see any shirt sleeve, which you should.

Overall I think the jacket is large. You say you're a big fella (so am I) but it's clear the coat is too big around your middle. It has no shape at all. Tailoring will help.

i have plenty of contrasting ties i just happen to like this tie and was wondering if its managable with this suit.

i will have the sleeves shortened

what needs to be done in the middle to make it fit right, can i just have the button moved or do i need to take more drastic measures

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
i have plenty of contrasting ties i just happen to like this tie and was wondering if its managable with this suit.

It's perfectly acceptable, but a bit matchy. Since the shirt is plain, a more contrasting tie would be preferable.

Saltricks

Reaction score
Taking in the sides might help, but it depends on your body shape underneath. The length looks a bit long to me, but it is in the realm of subjective preference. You got some shoulder dimpling there which might be caused by the armholes being too small or the chest being a bit tight.

The tie doesn't offer enough contrast with the suit, as others have said. I put lack of contrast in the same boat as black tie, black shirt, black suit...contrast really does wonders for looking put together.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think the shoulder dimpling is because the shirt is bunched up underneath my main concern was the body of the jacket which apparently needs to be taken in in the sides, will moving the button over a little help?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Others have addressed the fit issues, but I would stay away from such a stripey tie with a striped suit. Do something with some motion, not geometry. Maybe a paisley? A polka dot would work too.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Others have addressed the fit issues, but I would stay away from such a stripey tie with a striped suit. Do something with some motion, not geometry. Maybe a paisley? A polka dot would work too.

i was hoping spoo would chime in thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads