• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
It can be done, and I don't think it's too difficult. I would go for it, personally. Have them taken down to a nice classic size that will look good regardless of trend. 70's stuff may be coming back in, but I still think lapels that make you look like you should be calling air traffic control are rather ugly.

And it shouldn't require any other alterations to the jacket.

It's a substantial alteration.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mattyb124
Can anyone recommend and Upper East Side NYC tailor? Need to have a pair of suit pants taken in and potentially slimmed down? Don't want to brake the bank either... Thanks in advance!
Do a search for the "Hopefully definitive thread on NYC tailors". It has tons of info on NYC alterations tailors.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikeSalvino
BTW I did do a forum search on this and only got threads from Streetware and Denim. (They're not as nice over there.....)
eh.gif

Unfortunately, they're the ones with denim expertise.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vecna
So I mostly hear about british shoemakers, Edward Green, John Lobb, Crockett and Jones, Cleverley, and I also hear about american shoemakers, Allen Edmonds and Alden. I will rarely hear about france's Corthay but not really any other "foreign" shoe makers. The comprehensive list is a bit *too* comprehensive. My question is, what are the best shoemakers outside of the US and the UK?
Vass gets lots of attention as do a variety of Italian makers such as Ferragamo Tramezza and Santoni. There are several "shoe hierarchy" threads in the MC forum. Do a search for them if you want more details.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vecna
So I mostly hear about british shoemakers, Edward Green, John Lobb, Crockett and Jones, Cleverley, and I also hear about american shoemakers, Allen Edmonds and Alden. I will rarely hear about france's Corthay but not really any other "foreign" shoe makers. The comprehensive list is a bit *too* comprehensive. My question is, what are the best shoemakers outside of the US and the UK?

i have a pair of zegna couture loafers they are excellent i have heard they are made by ferragamo but they are far better than any ferragamos ive ever had

phila_suit

Reaction score
I just got measure for my first custom suit over the weekend. Getting it for my wedding next year. My question is if anyone knows where I can find interesting Bemberg lining for the suit coat and vest back. I live in the Philly area, so someone around here would be great, but willing to look in NJ/NY

Zach

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Allen Edmonds shoes in the "Brown Burnished Calf" Color? I picked up a pair of Fifth Avenues in that color last week and I'm not sure what color polish to buy. I contacted AE and they suggested their Dark Brown Polish, but I am a bit worried it may take the shoes to a bit darker tone than I want to see them at.

I don't mind using a polish that may add a bit of burgundy tint, or picking up a bottle of Saphir cream polish - but again, not sure what colors may work.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone once posted a link here to an article written sometime in the 50s or 60s about Beau Brummel. It was a fantastic read, but I can't seem to find it. I believe it's a fairly classic article. Does anyone by chance know the title, publication, or link?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
It's a substantial alteration.
Not that substantial. You're only talking about cutting open the lapel, cutting it down, and resewing it. Possibly redoing some padstitching. Back in the 60's, it was advertised at many dry cleaners, along with tie narrowing (BTW- 40's bold look suits look really, really bad with narrow lapels). I wouldn't try that at a dry cleaner today, but a competent tailor shouldn't have an issue with it. Substantial alterations involve stuff like changing sleeve angles, changing the shoulders in about any way, stuff that involves messing with major structural elements. It's more substantial than hemming pants or taking up a sleeve, yes, but I would not put it anywhere close to the plane of messing with major structural elements.

RyanAnderson

Reaction score
Was just at Macy's and saw a gray Lauren by Ralph Lauren silver label sport coat. I don't have one in gray and was thinking it could work to fill out my wardrobe at a good price (with multiple discounts, it'll be around $175).

I've seen minimal references to the brand on the site, but apparently it's not owned by RL anymore and people think the clothes are crap.

can someone give me a reason why the clothes are crap quality and explain why I shouldn't go for it at such a low price?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred
Someone once posted a link here to an article written sometime in the 50s or 60s about Beau Brummel. It was a fantastic read, but I can't seem to find it. I believe it's a fairly classic article. Does anyone by chance know the title, publication, or link?
Hmmm, is that the essay on the art of wearing clothes, which also included comments on A.J Drexel Biddle, among others? try this: http://www.thematerialist.net/artofwearingclothes.html

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Not that substantial. You're only talking about cutting open the lapel, cutting it down, and resewing it. Possibly redoing some padstitching. Back in the 60's, it was advertised at many dry cleaners, along with tie narrowing (BTW- 40's bold look suits look really, really bad with narrow lapels). I wouldn't try that at a dry cleaner today, but a competent tailor shouldn't have an issue with it.

Substantial alterations involve stuff like changing sleeve angles, changing the shoulders in about any way, stuff that involves messing with major structural elements. It's more substantial than hemming pants or taking up a sleeve, yes, but I would not put it anywhere close to the plane of messing with major structural elements.

Substantial in that it is labor-intensive and therefore expensive. Also, if there is an open button hole on the left lapel, you cannot narrow the lapels without throwing off the placement of the button hole.

kumizi

Reaction score
I have a question about buying a Belstaff leather jacket. I want the Gangster in antique black and the only place I can find it is through a British retailer. http://www.lineafashion.com/store/pr...ducts_id=11020 Anyone ordered from there before? I've never ordered from an international source and wanted to make sure the product wouldn't get held up in customs, etc.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Hmmm, is that the essay on the art of wearing clothes, which also included comments on A.J Drexel Biddle, among others?

try this:

http://www.thematerialist.net/artofwearingclothes.html

That's exactly it. SF never ceases to surprise me with the amount of collective knowledge on here. I ask a vague question about some random article I read a long time ago, and someone knows exactly what I read.

Thanks for the link.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads