• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are beautiful. I'm debating if I should get a pair from yoox. Can you tell us if the colour is actually lighter or darker in real life? Also, is the last a fairly wide last (around the ball of the foot area)? Did they come with those trees?

Originally Posted by clausc
Paolo Scafora for Gianfranco Ferre 7-eyelets captoe

Voilà ... finally I bought them today (mentioned here in the Scafora thread). I paid about 400 USD, they are currently at 650 USD at Yoox. They look much better in real life, sorry for the poor pictures
1088931119_74xBD-M.jpg

1088930583_RR6ir-M.jpg

1088931395_pqjd7-M.jpg

1088931485_oU3SY-M.jpg

1088932278_kaDSf-M.jpg

1088932380_pDuF6-M.jpg

1088945122_32HmJ-M.jpg

1088944926_MLp5i-M.jpg

1088930112_jM6h8-M.jpg

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
The fit was unfortunately off enough that it's too difficult to fix without proper fittings and me being 3000 miles away doesn't work well in that regard. Springline and AS haven't worked together regularly and I guess different makers last things in different ways in terms of tightness. I trust that for both of them my situation will just be a learning experience which I'm sure they'll improve upon by working together more. Luckily, one of their standard lasts actually seems to fit me well enough with a full sock lining. I have the Culford on dark brown country calf on the way so we'll see!

wow one serious bummer and waste of dough that was then, perhaps you just should have gone with cleverleys or G&G for a pair of BS then sent your shoe tree's to AS or SL to copy, would have saved all the heart ache

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
wow one serious bummer and waste of dough that was then, perhaps you just should have gone with cleverleys or G&G for a pair of BS then sent your shoe tree's to AS or SL to copy, would have saved all the heart ache

Springline prices actually aren't that bad. I forget what they were at this point, but nothing egregious. More just expectations not being met after loads of time was put in is the annoying part. Silly me for thinking it could all be done without fittings. Lessons learned! Between EG, Vass and AS I'm pretty set in the shoe department though. Seriously running out of room in the closet these days!

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Springline prices actually aren't that bad. I forget what they were at this point, but nothing egregious. More just expectations not being met after loads of time was put in is the annoying part. Silly me for thinking it could all be done without fittings. Lessons learned! Between EG, Vass and AS I'm pretty set in the shoe department though. Seriously running out of room in the closet these days!

yea i tihnk a lot of use might have said to you i told you so, but that is not part of the fun of triel and error, just depends on how amendable the errors are on the last

if space is an issue then bespoke is the answer, 1 pair of BS for 3 pairs(roughly) of RTW/ MTO's

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
yea i tihnk a lot of use might have said to you i told you so, but that is not part of the fun of triel and error, just depends on how amendable the errors are on the last

if space is an issue then bespoke is the answer, 1 pair of BS for 3 pairs(roughly) of RTW/ MTO's

exactly, though bs can go wrong, too for many reasons. i have to knock on wood, never encountered any issues, neither from the last making nor to the execution of the shoes. imo, the chemistry between maker and client and the confidence in the craftsman are important factors. at least for me more important than the nick nack factors some like to rave about.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sebastian
What could be in there???
bounce2.gif

pb070587.jpg

Stupid question... how do you polish such a shoe without getting it on the suede???

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Stupid question... how do you polish such a shoe without getting it on the suede???

I use tape to cover the part of the other color (mine is the regular black/white spectator, instead of suede/calf, but I guess there should be no difference).

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
exactly, though bs can go wrong, too for many reasons.

+1 and some suffer in silence because they'd never want to admit they blew usd3k+ on some bespoke shoes that they had to convince themselves are good. At least if RTW goes wrong, one can always sell them without too much pain.

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
These are beautiful. I'm debating if I should get a pair from yoox. Can you tell us if the colour is actually lighter or darker in real life? Also, is the last a fairly wide last (around the ball of the foot area)? Did they come with those trees?

PMed also.

I'm not at home so I do not have the shoes in front of me, but if I remember well they are dark/chestnut brown like in my pics. I see however they are only available in size 41 at Yoox in Europe and available in 43 and 44 in US, so I suppose somebody (from SF) bought them and returned.
Mine came with the Scafora lasted trees (they are not from Yoox though).

I would say they are medium width. The approximate measurements for size 43 that I sent previously to another person from SF asking the same question:

width outside: 10.5 cm
length outside: 31 cm
length inside: approx 29.3 cm

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No love for the Harris brand? Too casual italian boots? IMHO very good at less than 150 USD. Double post (no reaction on B&S). I ordered a pair size 8.5, I hope it's UK size.

Calzoleria Harris boots at threedifferent.com, only size 9 (UK?), 110 USD
media_3399294_harris%20polacchino%20hi%20top%20leaced%20shoes%202.jpg

I could not find recent information about this Italian Brand. Sold also by Barney's and Edwards of Manchester.
Comment from Ron from 2004 in this thread:

---------------
Retail is appx. $595.00 at Barney's.
How do they get away with that???

I know the factory...good, honest shoes - for $295. Like most of the Italians, they manufacture a wide range of patterns and constructions; many good, most very good, and some excellent. I'm told that Harris' Norwegian stitchers are some of the best - a small team that produces two pair per week, per man. The Blake shoes are very good, assuming a fair price. It's ashame some retailers take such a high markup, unfairly raising the expectations of certain products. In this case, Barney's would be getting a fair margin at the half-price clearance sale.
-----------------------

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads