• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Culling neckties (New ties added)

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
2 and 6 are the only ones that should be worn.

i agree with this, but would keep 7 for the summer. also paisley looks great or cheap depending on how you match it. #2 with a similar colored p/s (say purple) will look cheap, but with a rich orange dotted square against say a khaki suit, would knock it right out of the park.

great to see you taking these steps with your ties.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
Okay, here's the second flight of ties. I like these just as much as the first batch, but I'm less certain about their SF Approval Rating. I plan to keep these ties no matter what is said about them here, but I believe a discussion of their merits and shortcomings may help me choose better ties in the future.

Which do you like, which do you dislike, and why?

Keepers.jpg

All can be pulled off in specific situations but I don't think you're there yet.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Okay, here's the second flight of ties. I like these just as much as the first batch, but I'm less certain about their SF Approval Rating. I plan to keep these ties no matter what is said about them here, but I believe a discussion of their merits and shortcomings may help me choose better ties in the future. Which do you like, which do you dislike, and why?
Keepers.jpg

I positively like the first paisley and would wear it myself. The second paisley and the pale blue are OK, but if shopping, I'd probably pick them up and then put them back down. I dislike the rest, in the sense I wouldn't buy them myself. All 7 are fairly wearable with the right outfit provided you don't just wear ties to work in a conservative office. In fact, I'd probably avoid all of them in any work context, conservative or not, except for the the paisleys which would both work with a 3pc suit or sweatervest. The middle 3 are OK for wearing with evening outfits and the two on the far right are fun for a summer garden party or the like.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Holdfast - I liked the first paisley too, and at first it was included in my selections. However upon closer inspection, I felt it was too dated looking - like a 90's thrift paisley. While the 2nd one is a more modern iteration of it. I cant see you wearing the first one, what would you pair it with?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Holdfast - I liked the first paisley too, and at first it was included in my selections. However upon closer inspection, I felt it was too dated looking - like a 90's thrift paisley. While the 2nd one is a more modern iteration of it. I cant see you wearing the first one, what would you pair it with?
Well, I have a fondness for slightly retro/pastiche looks, which probably explains my liking it. I think it would be good with an earthy, tweedy type of look. For example, I think it would be quite nice used with the outfit I posted yesterday for the cord-contest. Use a softer-coloured shirt (cream rather than white) in that look and I think that tie would blend in quite well. I also think - like the other paisley - it could be used with a conservative 3pc charcoal grey suit, esp. a charcoal grey flannel chalkstripe 3pc. Would make for an old-fashioned professional type of look.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, so there’s not much love for my B Team ties. But let’s take a look at them again -- this time while they’re actually on duty -- and see if anyone changes his mind. (At this point, I'm still convinced that they're all keepers.)
Keepers.jpg
Tie 1:
Closeup-43.jpg
Tie 2:
Closeup-39.jpg
Tie 2 again, different application:
Paisley2.jpg
Tie 3 (which took 3rd place in last week's Gray Matters Challenge):
Closeup-48.jpg
Tie 4 (Crappy pic; one of my first WAYWRN posts):
Silvio-1.jpg
Sorry, but I don't currently have any photos of Tie 5, the red one, in action. Tie 6:
Closeup-18.jpg
Tie 7:
Closeup-3.jpg
And this is Tie 7 from the first flight -- the tie that was deemed by some to be too shiny. Fokkin' gorgeous, if you ask me.
Closeup-26.jpg

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by niidawg3
great to see you taking these steps with your ties.
Thanks, dawg. As we in the education biz are fond of saying, "Always teaching; always learning."
teacha.gif

Originally Posted by NORE
:shakes head in disbelief:
Unhelpful, amigo. You can do better.

jdldore

Reaction score
I like 3 and 6. 5 looks fine; it's like every tie my father and brother wear. I didn't like tie 7 until I saw your outfit. Looks great like that. I can't wear tie 1 colors, but it's a nice counterpoint to the shirt you are wearing it with.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jdldore
5 looks fine; it's like every tie my father and brother wear.
I may have to enlist Tie #5 in this week's WAYWRN Red Challenge.

D Yizz

Reaction score
2 and 6 are the only ones that should be worn.

The other day, you wore a purple tie similar in color to #3. What makes yours wearable and this one not? This is a question in good faith. (Sarcasm and good faith doesn't translate well in teh interwebz.)

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're a good sport if there ever was one, and I applaud your open discussion of this affliction. All of this is just IMHO. My tie tastes have evolved dramatically over the past 24 months, so I can sympathize. It might have been the weakest part of my wardrobe when I joined SF, and I thought I had GREAT ties. I think there's some truth to the notion that SF groupthink dictates a lot of tie criticism doled out on the forum these days. However, I think that the same SF groupthink tends to champion ties that are more classic and timeless, so that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Approved.jpg

First, my god man, if you have ties like this what are you doing wearing those other monstrosities?! The first 5 here are classically elegant. The last couple are okay for limited applications IMHO.

Originally Posted by EBugatti
I think 1, 3 are horrible; 2 is not good but on a pinch could pass (especially at night were it is not as noticeable). A rule of thumb for you is the following:

DON'T
(1) don't buy ties that have a swirly sheen to them different to the underlying pattern (changing the angle of view to see this);
(2) don't buy ties that have a pattern that is complex with several colors and shading (that's what kills tie #3--if it were just the rusty orange with a simple pattern (without the shading, etc.) it would have been fine.) That's why o/o's works better. The underlying orange color is uniform.
(3) don't buy ties that are too thin and flimsy

DO:
(1) buy ties that have simple, distinct patters or no patterns
(2) stick to high quality, natural fibers
(3) remember that less is more--why do you think a large-motif herringbone grey cashmere tie would exude thrills on this site? (See edmorel)...
(4) woven tend to be nicer than printed ties

This is sound advice.

Okay, so there’s not much love for my B Team ties. But let’s take a look at them again -- this time while they’re actually on duty -- and see if anyone changes his mind. (At this point, I'm still convinced that they're all keepers.)

Keepers.jpg

Tie 1:
Closeup-43.jpg

Tie 2:
Closeup-39.jpg

Tie 2 again, different application:
Paisley2.jpg

Tie 3 (which took 3rd place in last week's Gray Matters Challenge):
Closeup-48.jpg

Tie 7:
Closeup-3.jpg

My initial thought was that these are all pretty bad. I think 6 might be alright for occasional spring use, and maybe 1 and 2 for fall/winter if you've got a complimentary tweed jacket and are feeling bold.

The reason why I quoted these particular pictures is that I think your shirt choices also worsen the effects of the dated feel of these ties. The bold stripes are pretty hard to pull off, and yours look too casual for their applications. They do not mix well with those tie patterns at all. I'd save those for khakis and casual blue SC's. If you had chosen just a simple light blue OCBD, you've got something that's acceptable even if a bit dated looking.

The last few pictures are good illustrations of the downfall of pastel shirts. I've noticed something interesting about your tendencies. You seem to have this desire to "match" the tie to the shirt or the whole ensemble. There's no need to match colors in your tie to colors of your other articles of clothing. In fact, when it's this obvious, it's rather inelegant. You commonly find this kind of combo rocked by blue-collar middle management and IT staff, and to me, these ensembles scream 1980's-1990's lower tier clothier ad campaigns. You might have better luck reserving those pastel shirts for more casual applications, or if you must, pair them with something softer and simpler and less shiny (maybe grenadines or wool/cashmere), but nothing with too colorful a pattern.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ really good advice, TC - and probably the longest post I have ever seen you make.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by D Yizz
The other day, you wore a purple tie similar in color to #3. What makes yours wearable and this one not? This is a question in good faith. (Sarcasm and good faith doesn't translate well in teh interwebz.)

You mean this one?
cebd6e54.jpg

Well, I thought mine was wearable, but maybe a few of you might not agree
smile.gif
Its bordeaux though, not purple.

My issue with TB's, is that while the color is nice, the generic pattern and loose knit weave to the silk make it look a bit mall-brand-ish. What I have learned in my adventures in neckwear, is I gravitate towards very unique patterns - as many of you might know. This one just looks kind of - blah. Its hard to put in words, I hope that made a little sense.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads